What's new

The Coppola Restoration (Mr. Harris) (1 Viewer)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]
What wonderful films [...] that III is way underrated.
So many pro-con arguments concerning Godfather III.
Somewhere I heard it referred to as "the red-headed step-child" of I & II.
Odd thing about this one is its never been one of my go-to films; but, then, after watching I & II you just can't stop.
Godfather III, if memory serves me correctly, was placed under a Christmas release pressure placed on Coppola.
Godfather III plays to me like a brilliant unfinished composite of two separate films joined together as one.

Want a story-pitch for new Godfather?
Upon the death of Michael's daughter Mary, he suffers a nervous breakdown beset upon him for life.
Kay, though, finally gets it. I mean, she really gets it all; right there upon the steps of the opera house.
She understands Michael. And she even understands Vito.
Kay, so enraged, experiences an altogether different shock than Michael's and symbolically picks up the Corleone scepter off the ground.
In the wake of Michael's inabilities to regain his sanity, she joins forces with Vincent and Connie to avenge all those who were involved from that evening's event.
Kay psychologically becomes Vito and Michael;
being that both men shared the same pursuits of all those who initially came after the family.
Kay must now do the same for her own daughter...and does.
Upon executing her plan, Coppola could even take it full-circle by having Kay visit Michael with the news; to which his response echos Vito's with, "I never wanted this for you, Kay".
Silent, she looks one last time at him and walks away, leaving him alone; where he is seated outside upon the very bench and setting that ends Part III.
If Mr. Coppola uses this concept, I would respectfully request a single case of wine from his vineyards.

Last edited:

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Godfather III, if memory serves me correctly, was placed under a Christmas release pressure placed on Coppola.
Yes. I saw it on Christmas Day. I enjoyed it then, and still love it today. Never understood the negativity thrust upon it. Seemed like a logical progression of the story. Sofia Coppola was fine in her role and worked for me.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Yes. I saw it on Christmas Day. I enjoyed it then, and still love it today. Never understood the negativity thrust upon it. Seemed like a logical progression of the story. Sofia Coppola was fine in her role and worked for me.
Not at all disputing your enjoyment of Godfather III, I still feel that the film had more ideas going for it than one single film could contain. Nonetheless, with Puzo gone, Francis can collaborate with his now Oscar winning daughter on my new idea; while getting their own revenge (on the critics) along the way.
BTW, Godfather III was the only film of the series to garner a long overdue nomination for Gordon Willis; aka "The Prince of Darkness".

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Not at all disputing your enjoyment of Godfather III,
No offense taken. I thought I was agreeing with you. I was just commenting on the general perception that III is somehow "lesser" Godfather than Parts I and II. I still feel that there is more story to tell.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Ours is a good misunderstanding, as Godfather III on its own merit has never failed to "pull me back in". As a matter of fact, it's damned good; but somehow fails to be seamlessly woven into the fabric of the other two. But, then again, Coppola has stated that he never intended to title it as "Part III". That was a device used by Paramount for marketing purposes. If memory serves me correctly, Coppola wanted to title the film as, "The Death of Michael Corleone".
BTW, I'm thinking that Diane Keaton must hold the Hollywood record for having the most collaborations with the same DP, being that Gordon Willis was on board for the Woody Allen films, as well. Love the breaking of the fourth wall in "Annie Hall" when Alvy makes a "Godfather" reference to Annie.

Last edited:

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I think I have the better pitch. Mary (Sofia Coppola) is now a zombie. She can't be reasoned with, she can't be bargained with and she absolutely won't stop, until all those involved in her death are dead.

No because the film is dark enough as is.

I was thinking it could help with all those clipped whites and making them look more film and less video.

I also would be happy to see the deleted scene of Michael getting revenge on his wife, which somehow plays just like the corridor scene in Terminator 2.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks