What's new

The Contender ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Ishe needs to fight. I was disappointed that he refused to fight. From the teaser for the next show, it seems like he is going to fight Ahmed.

When Jesse stepped up, I was wondering if it is possible for the team to force a person into a fight. Could the team "vote" for Ishe and force him to fight even he doesn't want to?

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Ishe did what he had to do and just about redeemed himself.

The dodgeball was lame, but the show has still not diappointed.

The teaser for the next episode has me intrigued...it looks like someone is coming back.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
At first I was for Ahmed beating Ishe. But, after the way Ahmed acted to Sugar Ray, the other boxers and before and after the match. I am glad he got beaten.

Chris, I too am curious as to who comes back. Although, I am surprised they are doing it so quickly with only 3 boxers gone. I hope it's not Ahmed. Although, his fiance is hot. ;)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I was grateful for the reaction shots to Ahmed's sweetie.

The editing down the fights is still an annoyance to me, but I doubt many novice boxing fans would enjoy seeing all the grabbing and hugging when a fighter gets into trouble inside the ring. But usually that goes on more with the heavyweights, than the mid-level weight classes.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Well, I caught Thursday's episode, but forgot to watch yesterday. Hopefully it'll get rerun. (Good job putting the first 3 episodes on 3 different nights, NBC! Great way to make it easy for people to get into the show!)

Dang, I missed the Ishe/ Ahmed fight??? I would've liked to have seen that.

I really think that they should show the whole fight at the end of each episode. Just watching highlights is very anticlimactic. A little less guys running up and down the steps of the stadium and a little more boxing, please!!!

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I think they should show the first and last rounds unedited. They should also cut down on the music which has become repetitive. Hearing the music all that time for the promos was enough.

~T

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
Just finished watching Sunday's episode. Man that was a good fight. I like that they slow-mo the big hits and I love seeing the reactions of the people. I'm glad Ahmed got beat. I just wish Ishe would of put him on the mat.

I really wish this show would get more attention. I caught up on 2 episodes this weekend and finally saw Sunday's episode (damn I should be in bed). I'm actually liking it. That fights at the end make the whole show worth it. I (kinda) care about the fighters. I'll be watching the rest of the way.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

If the fight would have went a few more rounds I think he would have. They really painted Ishe in a bad light the first two episodes, but didn't show how big of an ego and mouth Ahmed was until last night. I have had to rethink my opinion of Ishe and realize that Ahmed deserved it.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
It was great seeing Ishe step up and beat Ahmed. Up until this episode I didn't like Ishe. Still not a fan but this epsiode I disliked Ahmed even more and wanted to see him get beat.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Caught the rerun yesterday. The scene of the guys buying suits was actually kinda touching.

But I don't know if I can keep watching -- I can't stand the way they show the fights. For god's sake, it's a 15-minute match -- show the damn thing! Are they afraid of losing viewers who don't like to watch actual sports? Are non-sports fans actually watching this in the first place? :rolleyes:It looked like Ahmed turned out to be all talk, but I can't really tell, because I barely saw any of the fight!

What's even worse than showing 5 minutes of a 15 minute fight is the fact that less than 2 of those minutes were actual footage of the boxers -- the rest was crowd reaction shots. It's incredibly frustrating to watch.

Fortunately, there was a decent fight on the Sunshine Network later last night, so I at least got to see some boxing. :)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

It's interesting, as I thought just the opposite. The majority sounds remarkably recycled from other Burnett shows SURVIVOR and APPRENTICE... Which is odd since Vanacore didn't do Contender (although it sounds like Zimmer is really emulating Survivor to me).

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
I don't know, but that fight seemed a bit theatrical to me. Right down to the comeback kid/underdog getting beat, then the SO comes to the corner, speaks some inspiration, and he comes back with a vengeance. It would have made a good Rocky VI script ;)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
4/3/05

If the fights have been "pre-arranged", then why even have the winning team be able to call out the fighter on the other team. Why have competitions at all, just pair everyone up and fight each time a fight is supposed to take place. All the breast-beathing by the yellow was so lame. Please, these boxers obviously aren't schooled in logic and rules when it comes to playing to win a game, which is this TV show.

Omarosa, you just met your match with man-bitch, Anthony. :D

It's like, why do basketball teams moan and groan about getting seeded low for the NCAA tourney? It means a harder road to the final four, that's why. The same goes for Anthony's gamesmanship in motivating his team through the competition and then calling out the weakest opponent to pick on, and move on through the competition. The yellow team were just mad at being used in the competition, but each boxer tries hard in the competition because it's in their own best interest to be on the winning side, regardless of possible switcheroo's. Being able to pick your next opponent is a big advantage, and one that helps the team that wins the competition.

No one called foul when Najai called out the bigger guy, and he subsequently lost, and we know the rest of his story as well.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
patrick i understand what you are saying.

but, imo, a man's word is his bond. period.

i would have been just as angry as the yellow team. one for being used and two for being lied to.

i wish the fight was exactly the same with the results reversed.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
I respect Anthony for knowing his limits and being man enough to chart his own course in life, rather than let some "team" choose for him. Like he said, he, not the 'team', feeds his family.

And Joey and Jimmy are just punks and will never make it beyond this competition.

And even though he didn't mean it the right way, Ishe got it right, it's not about teams. It's about each man choosing and making his own destiny.

Congrats Anthony for knowing what's best for you, your family, your life, and not just standing by letting some holier-than-thou "team" tell you what to do.

Of course, it is also my opinion that there should have been penalties for fixing trying to pre-arrange the fights, that's not what the show is about.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks