What's new

The consolidated ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE thread (1 Viewer)

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
I tend to look at it as a Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge vs. ad infinitum, etc. etc. Thousands of people will swear by one brand or another and have lots of stats to back it up. There will also be lots of people who had a bad experience who will "never buy that product again". In the end, there is only one way to be completely safe.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Great thread - I'm bookmarking it for perusal a bit later.

Count me among those irritated with Norton and looking for a change.

Untold times, randomly, every day, I experience Norton launching Aup, which significantly interrupts what I'm doing on this old computer.

I would be happy (and competent enough) to do a manual update, but NAV doesn't seem to let me de-select this Aup function.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
If you're referring to "automatic LiveUpdate", NAV has offered the option to turn that off since I started using it. On my current version it's under Options, Norton AntiVirus, LiveUpdate (uncheck the box for "enable automatic LiveUpdate (recommended)").

M.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I'm getting sick of McAfee. Sometimes Firefox screws up when viewing PDFs or embedded WMVs. I do what most everyone else does, Task Manager > End Process, then restart Firefox. Whenever I do this McAfee freaks out and pretty much stops all processes.

Also had problems with sending out multiple emails smtp-style. Disabling Antivirus changes nothing, ever. It still eats up CPU cycles like candy. What a drag. :thumbsdown:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I was looking at the Availability of AVG and it states If I install it on my desktop and my wife installs it on her laptop each computer running on our wireless network, is that a violation of their policy?

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I would think that it would still be considered private use and non-commercial. If your desktop and your wife's laptop were used at your work place for work related issues then it would considered commercial use.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i don't think they are talking about more than one copy in one house, they are talking about using a computer at home, then using it for work. at least that's what i got from the "single home computer use" part.

CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks