What's new

The consolidated, all-in-one DUEL DVD discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
"The One That Started It All."

Somebody get me a permananent merker. Not only has Hollywood filmmaking become predictable and boring, so has marketing.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Any further info??
Will it come 5/21?
[--"I pass this crazy rig a couple of times, and this guy goes off the deep end!!"--] :D

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
And from DVD Empire:

Dear Customer

There have been several reports that Duel:The Special Edition has been cancelled by the studio. These reports are not true. The title has however been changed from it's original street date of 5/21 to a new one that is yet to be determined. We will be changing the status on your order to a date of TBA and this will leave the title as active on your order.

In addition, we will send you a new message when the title is re-announced and remind you that you still have the title on order. The good news is that the Representatives at Universal were confident that this wouldn't turn into another Legend situation.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I hope all of that is true.
For what it's worth, about 22 hours ago I left a voicemail at the phone # I posted above. Their machine states a response will be made "within 24 hours". I told them what I was interested in: A new release date for Duel DVD. I gave them my daytime # and mentioned that I have a recording machine at that number, and all they have to do is leave a message.
Nothing yet. :frowning:

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
David,

It lookslike they sent my e-mail cancellation before they updated the link you provided. It now says:

"There is no information for this DVD yet."

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I hope the delay isn't very long on this title, as this is my favorite Spielberg movie, and I've never been able to watch the entire thing without commercials.

Does anyone here remember seeing the episode of "The Incredible Hulk" where Bill Bixby is running from the truck? They used a lot of footage from "Duel" in that episode.

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
I have the good laserdisc and it's the long version.

On the cover is SAYS that after the movie was shoot and

people thought the movie was great the network asked Spielberg to shoot another 15 min so it could be a theater movie not only a tv-movie.

And after seing the movie in 1.33:1 I CAN'T understand why they are doing a 1.85:1 matt.

Tony Stark

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone here remember seeing the episode of "The Incredible Hulk" where Bill Bixby is running from the truck? They used a lot of footage from "Duel" in that episode.
Hell yeah! Every time I mention that to people who have seem Duel and/or the Hulk they thought I was on another planet. Your confirmation shows that I wasn't daydreaming.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Y'know, I was a giant fan of The Hulk series, but didn't see every episode for various reasons. I guess that's one of the ones I missed, 'cuz I have NO recollection of that one at all! :eek:

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
:thumbsdown: Well, had Universal not delayed:angry: the DVD release of "Duel", we could/would be watching it today. Any word on a new release date yet?

BrianP

Supporting Actor
Amazon just cancelled my preorder for Duel. I noticed recently they removed the preorder link from the DVD on their site before the cancelation. I cut and pasted the e-mail message they sent me.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
and I guess the $5 off on the Duel DVD(found on the Legend DVD) is useless. Maybe Universal can mail us a $5 coupon when the DVD is EVER going to be released

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why does it seem that they never cancel bad movies. I was eagerly awaiting this. Does anybody have any inside info on why this is being cancelled? (i.e Rights, Everyone's favorite - Marketing Research, etc..)

Well, there's another $20 to throw in the rainy day fund.

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
So why on DVD Express' site does it say "Usually ships in 2-3 business days" indicating that it's currently available? I guess that's just because it's "release date" of 5/21 has passed already. See DVD Express - Duel.
I do find it funny that it lists the video format as "Standard 1.33:1 (4:3)" while it clearly says "Widescreen" on the cover image.
This is too bad. I've never seen this movie and I was quite looking forward to seeing this for the first time.
As for the tag line "The film that started it all", yeah it's certainly cliche and generic, but I think it's in reference to this being Spielberg's first movie of any real note.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks