What's new

The consolidated, all-in-one DUEL DVD discussion thread (1 Viewer)

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
I'm guessing MGM will be releasing The Producers... it was "coming soon" from Polygram back in '98 but was cancelled when MGM bought Polygram's library.

DaveJJ

Stunt Coordinator
Can wait for this release. I hope they release it with DTS sound. What do thinks guys?
duel.jpg

DaveJJ:):):):)Have Fun Guys!My HT

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
The cover art looks kewl enuff! :)
"The one that started it all", eh? I see the way THIS promotion is going...
...and, as he said, we HAVE to figure out what the proper OAR for this is. I know it was presented in theaters overseas, but (like Battlestar Galactica) was it shot widescreen with this possibility in mind, or was it shot 4x3 with TV presentation chiefly in mind?

Randall Dorr

Second Unit
Eh.

It's a nice picture in and of itself, but it doesn't seem to be in keeping with the low key nature of the film.

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
I mentioned this in another thread. It was evidently shot in widescreen, because I have heard Spielberg in an interview say that when they first got it ready for it's European theatrical release, several shots of Weaver driving his car showed the director sitting in the back seat taking notes. Those scenes apparently had to be altered in some way to eliminate what would have been a significant distraction :).
I'm really hoping the DVD has some of those scenes unaltered!

paul o'donnell

Second Unit
Agree with Randall, nice picture but it seems sort of wrong to me. But that is more than a little anal. It's being bought.

On the edge of the pic there are the letters "Fr & Stev". I assume its related to spielberg, does that mean there is another dvd to the right of this one on the original image?

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Looks okay to me. Could have been better, of course. I'll be picking it up regardless.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
This movie makes me anxious. Like I can't sit still when I watch it. I'm serious.

Spielberg has made so many movies that I truly cherish (Raiders, Jaws) and so many that I have no desire to see again (Jurassic Park.) I don't know of any other director that has such a varied effect on me.

Anyway, I'll probably pick this one up.

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
Sorry I did a search but didn't see this thread although this quote is very interesting...

March 1st, 2002

08:10 PM Post (5)

RobertCharlotte

NC, USA

[30 posts]

February 21st, 2002

I mentioned this in another thread. It was evidently shot in widescreen, because I have heard Spielberg in an interview say that when they first got it ready for it's European theatrical release, several shots of Weaver driving his car showed the director sitting in the back seat taking notes. Those scenes apparently had to be altered in some way to eliminate what would have been a significant distraction .

I'm really hoping the DVD has some of those scenes unaltered!

HankM

Second Unit
Didn't this play in theaters as well? If it was shot in 1.33:1 than maybe they did matte it to 1.85:1 for theatrical prints.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Unless it was meant to be matted, it should be kept full frame.

Being that it was made for TV, I would surmise that Duel was intended for 1.33:1

Widescreen is important, but let us not forget that OAR includes keeping mattes off the image where they shouldn't.

Keep in mind that Universal has screwed up some covers by adding "widescreen" where it shouldn't be. All Quiet on the Western Front, despite being made in 1930 on 35mm, has "widescreen" on the front. Same thing for some of the pre-Rear window Hitchcock films on Universal DVD.

Harvey has a graphic denoting "1.33:1" in the shape of a 2.35:1 box. Sure is the widest 1.33:1 image I've seen!

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Keep in mind that Universal has screwed up some covers by adding "widescreen" where it shouldn't be.... Same thing for some of the pre-Rear window Hitchcock films on Universal DVD.
Patrick, which Hitchcocks are you referring to? The only ones I can think of are Rope, Saboteur, and Shadow of a Doubt and none of those say widescreen?

-Chad

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
I really dont care if its Full Frame or Widescreen either, Im just glad its coming to DVD as a CE.

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
Hank & Patrick,

They wouldn't have to matte it & they would be keeping the OAR if the guy I quoted is correct, here it is again.....

It was evidently shot in widescreen, because I have heard Spielberg in an interview say that when they first got it ready for it's European theatrical release, several shots of Weaver driving his car showed the director sitting in the back seat taking notes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks