What's new

THE CONFORMIST on TCM (airdates and issues) (1 Viewer)

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I was looking at the upcoming schedule for TCM and noticed that "The Conformist" will be on July 8 at 2am. It also says it will be letterboxed. I'm excited that is finally going to be on and hope that it could be an indication of a release on DVD for this masterpiece.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for passing this on, Ken. This one is a veritable cinematic Bible and is long overdue on DVD.

Will the broadcast be in Italain with English subtitles, Ken? It's good that it will be letterboxed; this is a first on US TV, is it not?

Hopefully, Paramount have put together a fine DVD edition of the original Italian version for the near future...

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
The reason I ask, Ken, is that the one-and-only Paramount VHS and Lasers (from 1993?) are of the dubbed US theatrical version, which had the 'party scene' cut, which Paramount restored to the film about 2-3 years ago and made a D1 anamorphic transfer under Storaro's supervision, but that scene was not dubbed for the initial 1970 release, and this is why Paramount have been hesitant about releasing the DVD: they naively feel that US viewers are 'used to' the dubbed version (the Italian-language version has only rarely played in one-off theatrical releases in the US) and with the restored scene, you in effect, have a 'continuity' error.

It's similar to Dario Argento's Profondo Rosso (Deep Red), which had scenes cut for US release and those scenes were not dubbed into English, so when Anchor Bay released the restored version on DVD, some scenes were in Italian with English subtitles, but you had the option of viewing the film totally in Italian with subs.

I really hope that Paramount release the film on DVD this year. I'd love to hear Storaro's recollections and perspective on this landmark film, also.

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
It's not a first for the US, it aired on Bravo, letterboxed, about ten years ago. This was back when Bravo showed classic foreign films and wasn't just a second-rate imitation of A&E and a home for NBC reruns.

I caught a few minutes of it, but wasn't as aware of films then as I am now and didn't know what an important movie it was or what a rare occasion the TV airing was.

I will be watching and taping the TCM showing and I too hope that Paramount releases a DVD, in Italian of course, ASAP. They showed the restored version in LA recently, but I was unable to get up there. I'm dying to see it, I've heard it's brilliant.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, it was screened at the Castro, I believe and hardly anyone showed up. It's an expensive print to rent, too.

I have a bootleg, er... educational reference DVD-r of the Italian-language version with English subtitles that is letterboxed and of barely adequete quality. But boy-oh-boy, do we need a pristine anamorphic DVD transfer of this masterpiece.

MGM, in Germany are about to release 1900 on DVD - the original Italian-language, 315-minute version, no less. We also badly need a DVD of that other Bertolucci masterpiece.

Ike

Screenwriter
IFC regularly shows this, but it is dubbed and fullscreen. I will be looking forward to a subtitled (hopefully) and widescreen version on TCM!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Paramount isn't big on releasing foreign language DVD's - hope this will be an exception.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I got to see it 3 or 4 years ago at a showing here at the High Museum. It is every bit as good as its reputation.

Dom

Stunt Coordinator
One movie I can never seem to get outta my head.

DVD where are you..?

argh

Al Stuart

Stunt Coordinator

And yet, it is dubbed. Anyone curious can turn on TCM right now. At least it's letterboxed.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I am so very disappointed that it was DUBBED!!!!! That is very unusual for TCM to show a dubbed version, let alone for such a famous film. What happened?
Once again a proper version "The Conformist" has eluded us.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
The dub was very good quality, just as the print was. I imagine the dubbed version might very well be because an acceptable quality print with subtitles was not available to TCM--and I doubt TCM has the rights, or the capacity, to commission their own subtitles and translations from an OSL print.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
eric tengren said....

Just a heads up . THE CONFORMIST is on TCM Sat the 21st at 2:30 a.m. in letterbox. Eric

I couldn't believe it myself but TCM showed the Italian version with subs last night. I almost didn't record it either because I already had it from last summer. This version didn't have the blind dance scene. I'm really psyched that TCM got hold of this for last night's broadcast.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
When TCM last showed the classic The Comformist it
was a nice new letterboxed version but it was the dubbed
version ,when the scene cut from the Orig American version
came on it wasn't dubbed and didn't have subtitles.
last Night TCM showed yet another version
This was a nice new subtitle version which was better
than the Showtime or TMC Versions,but unlike those
versions and the earlier TCM version ,this had that
scene cut out,so I hope the next time TCM Shows it
they put it back in,there are subtitles for it because
it was complete on Showtime and The TMC

Since it might not come out in our lifetime on dvd
in this country,this is the best we got.

Peter

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
Anyone interested in helping to show support for a DVD release of this film can do so by voting at TCM's website:

http://tcmdb.com/title/title.jsp?scarlettTitleId=71413

From the "Why Vote?" blurb:

"Because we'll routinely send your votes to major Home video distributors responsible for releasing classic movies on to DVD. So go ahead and vote and let your voice be heard!"

This movie is currently ranked #34 in TCM's Not-On-Home Video poll, with 82 votes (including mine).

Might not help, but it certainly can't hurt...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks