The Concert for New York City - 5 hours on 2 DVDs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan B, Jan 26, 2002.

1. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

This DVD of the benefit concert is due to be released on the 29th, so I'm guessing that someone has it already. [​IMG] I'm especially looking forward to seeing The Who's set...they were the highlight for me.
    -Dan

2. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

Oooo! Didn't know this disc was coming. I'll have to pick this one up. I too love The Who.

N

3. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

I've seen it, I've reviewed it. I was a little disappointed with the audio, but overall this was a nice set. It kinda slipped in under the radar; even though I pay a LOT of attention to DVD release dates, I only heard about it because a Bowie site mentioned it.

Anyway, the review's available through the site listed in my sig...

4. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I wonder if they recorded any behind the scenes stuff for extras? If this is the same concert where a drunk Harrison Ford gave a speech on stage, it could be priceless [​IMG]. I missed the concert myself, but the local radio station always plays clips from it [​IMG].

5. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Thank you for that review link, Colin.

-Dan B.

6. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

7. Gary_E

Gary_E Second Unit

It's obvious when watching The Concert For New York City that it was recorded and mixed by people who appreciate the performances given that evening. The full screen presentation is solid throughout with only the slightest havoc caused by bright stage lighting.

I found the audio nothing short of spectacular. I regard it as one of the BEST concert 5.1 mixes I've heard.

Not full of gimmicks but true to the sound of the arena, the mix captures the intricacies of the subtle tunes and the rockers wail, shaking your viewing room.

Clocking in at just short of five hours, this two-disc set is an absolute, necessary addition to your concert DVD collection. From the main menu is an option to play music performances only which takes you from one performance to the next and the skip button allows you to jump to the next song. This is a very nice addition to this great disc.

A portion of the net proceeds of the DVD sales goes to the Robin Hood Relief Fund. Best Buy has it on sale for $19.99 and if you’re lucky enough to have a 'buy 3 save $7.00' coupon you can get it for $17.00. You will not be disappointed.

Just my opinion,

-Gary

TV: Toshiba 40H80

DVD: Panasonic RP-91

Receiver: Yamaha 995

Speakers: B&W all around

8. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

Thanks for the reviews, guys. I pre-ordered mine from Amazon last week for $15 and change, shipped, using a $10 gift certificate I had. I should be getting it within a couple days. I saw just a little of it during the VH-1 broadcasts, so I'm looking forward to watching it. I heard good things about Seinfeld's short film, so I'm really looking forward to that one.

9. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

I have a question about the set. I just read the review of the disc at The Big Picture, and they say WRT Hillary Clinton's segment:

10. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

The fade-outs and fade-ins appear to be put in at the layer changes.

I was wondering myself, however, if this DVD was complete. I seem to recall Paul McCartney performing another song that's not on the DVD. I will have to dig up my VHS tape of the live event to check.

11. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

You're right. Sir Paul also played "From a Lover To A Friend" from his "Driving Rain" album.

12. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

13. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

Thanks Colin. That answer's good enough for me.

14. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

Yes, McCartney's song was cut (glad I recorded the audio on my pc with my TV card when it first aired [​IMG] ) and Hillary's boos are in fact buried in the mix. You can still hear them, perhaps in the front speakers, but the surrounds are definately full of cheers.
    Not sure if anything else was cut, I mainly bought it for the McCartney stuff. Will have to check my notes from the broadcast (ever try editing five hour wav file?)
    Also, the beginning of the concert is different. The DVD has antique film footage during the begining of Bowie's first song. The broadcast did not have this. There was also a short film either right at the beginning or between Bowie's set and Billy Crystal's first speech. I don't think this is on the DVD.
    -paul

15. Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner Second Unit

Paul McCartney also played "Lonely Road" in addition to "From a Lover...". Both of theses songs are on his new Driving Rain CD (available in stores now). The omission of these two songs is the reason I have to keep the VHS I made at the time of the show.
    I picked it up at Best Buy yesterday, but I could not find any mention of the sound format. I put it down knowing I could go back today with my $5 gift card for purchasing Atlantis. Looks like I'll be doing that.
    Thanks for the reviews.
    C

16. Gary_E

Gary_E Second Unit

17. Mark F Hall

Mark F Hall Agent

Cuts I remember

Goo Goo Dolls did another song (don't remember the title)

Clapton and Buddy Guy did another song "Everythings Going To Be All Right"

The missing McCartney songs "From a Lover To A Friend" & "Lonely Road"

The Hillary Boo's.

18. Ted Kontos

Ted Kontos Stunt Coordinator