The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes - Full Frame Only

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron_Lamb, Dec 26, 2002.

1. Ron_Lamb

Ron_Lamb Auditioning

I was looking forward to buying this movie until i found out it was full frame only. i'm sure they would sell twice as many copies if it contained a 16x9 transfer.I will pass until a new re-master comes out.

2. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Second Unit

Well, chances are high that this will NOT be reissued, so if you are willing to wait forever for something that will never come, then don't buy this...

3. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    If you're talking about the 1969 version, it's entirely possible 1.33:1 is the film's original aspect ratio. So in effect, you aren't losing anything at all.

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Disney didn't quite follow the aspect ratio rules much...

They continued to make their animated films at 1.33:1 (with possible framing for 1.66:1, likely), but no idea on their live-action films.

I'm guessing this film might be 1.85:1... but we'll have to see. Disney keeps cutting off their legs.

5. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

Yeah, I'd guess like Patrick that the film is probably somewhere between 1.75:1 to 1.85:1, filmed flat, like many of their live-action pictures of the 60s. As such, composition shouldn't be too bad, might just be open-matte...although it could look butchered like Blackbeard's Ghost.

Like Jeffrey says, this isn't going to be reissued anytime soon. It sucks they're not releasing it in widescreen, and the principle sucks. But it's not going to be like watching a scope film in p&s.

6. TedD

TedD Supporting Actor

Disney's live action films release prints during that era were hard matted to 1.75:1. Not having seen the negatives, I really can't say what the camera aperture was.

Ted

7. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

If it says "Formatted to fit your screen", I ain't buying it.

8. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

Screw this, I've learned my lesson with Ernest Goes To Jail.
    No more "It's not gonna get re-released, so I might as well get it." syndrome. I've fallen for that trap once, and won't again. Ernest Goes To Jail is not only 1:33:1 only, but is also the worst DVD transfer I have ever laid eyes on. I am not exaggerating when I say a VCD or a third generation tape would produce better quality. Buyer beware cheapie Disney catalog flicks!

9. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Second Unit

Well, Blackbeard's Ghost looks so horrible because it is actually an early-80s video transfer...apparently, Disney decided they'd rather use the old VHS transfer than make a new one. The same probably goes for Ernest Goes to Jail, and most of the full-frame-only budget discs...so, come to think of it, maybe this disc WON'T be worth buying, even if it IS only open-matte...

10. Ron_Lamb

Ron_Lamb Auditioning

It just seems logical to me that disney would do a new transfer as this would mean a lager profit. I will be buying the woman in red and will pass on blackbeard's Ghost because of the quality of the transfer.

11. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I also like how Amazon had The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again mistitled as The Apple Dumpling Gang for the first few weeks, and still have the comments section to the original on their listing (they also list it as a "Dinsey" film). At least when Anchor Bay was getting Disney product they would do a dual version release, even if the widescreen version wasn't anamorphic.

12. Jacob_isham

Jacob_isham Stunt Coordinator

i love this film for it's accurate portrayal of the internet, if you look back to when this film was made, the inernet has pretty much now evolved into how it was portrayed in the film back then. The director & writers demonsrated great vision in the creation of such scenes. The sooner this masterpiece comes to dvd the better. And no, i'm not being sarcastic.

13. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    This is one of myt all-time live action Disney
    films.

To learn that it is being released in Full Frame is
    very saddening.

I will wait to see if it actually has been modified
    before going on another rampage.

14. Michael St. Clair

I loved these dumb Kurt Russell live-action Disney comedies when I was a kid. I'd happily buy a couple of them out of nostalgia (though I doubt they'll be quite as funny to me now), but only if nothing has been trimmed away.

15. Gabe D

Gabe D Cinematographer

At Disney.com they list all of the 1/14/03 catalog titles as 1.33:1. Titles include The Absent-Minded Professor, The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again, Gus, The Horse in the Gray Flannel Suit and The Moon-Spinners, in addition to The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes.

Can anyone confirm what the IMDB lists as Absent-Minded Professor's OAR-- 1.75:1? I'm hoping there is a mistake somewhere, because The Absent-Minded Professor is among my 5 or 10 most wanted movies on DVD.

16. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Second Unit

Judging by most of the flat films of the era (1961), The Absent-Minded Professor was probably shot at 1.33:1, and intended for any ratio between 1.33:1 and 1.85:1...and since it will be a new transfer (a restoration was recently done, and a new transfer made, IIRC), it probably won't be badly cropped like Blackbeard's Ghost (which I STILL believe is the same transfer used on the 80s VHS tape...)

17. Larry P

Larry P Stunt Coordinator

What was The Moon-Spinners OAR? Imdb lists it as 1:33 pan and scam on its laserdisc release. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Who does Disney thinks these movies are for? I don't think most children are going to be begging Mommy to buy them the 40-some year old Don Knotts movie!

I really understand why Disney releases the real kiddie movies in pan and scam, but a lot of these titles will have far more adults interested than children.

18. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I agree Larry, I highly doubt kids these days are going to appreciate these films until they are older. The market for these is the adults who grew up watching them.

19. Jorge Montes

Jorge Montes Stunt Coordinator

It was just pointed out to me that Absent-Minded Professor is going to be colorized. This is according to both the Disney DVD website and the back of the DVD on DVDPlanet.

Looks like I'll be going DVD sale free for a while because I'm not touching anything on 1/14/03.

20. Rob Ray

Rob Ray Agent

I'm no advocate of Pan 'n scan, but you should be aware that most of these 60s Disney comedies were filmed with the idea that some would go directly to "The Wonderful World of Disney" and that even those that had a theatrical run would be there in a very short time. The big-budgeted things like "Mary Poppins" excepted, I wouldn't be surprised if these movies were filmed Academy Ratio for this reason. Most certainly have that TV look to them.