The Complete Sherlock Holmes Collection

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Albert_M, May 23, 2006.

1. Albert_M

Albert_M Supporting Actor

Stumbled on this while looking to pick a few of the Basil Rathbone ones that I don't own. I wish that I had known about this last year, but even now I haven't found any info about this set outside of this Amazon listing (or others like it)

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130

Apparently it comes out 6/27. At around $90 it's a better deal than I what I have paid for the individual discs that I have purchased.

2. Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll Supporting Actor

Should've know this was coming since they did similar with the Jeremy Brett TV show. Got burned with Volume One of those and learned to wait thereafter. I think they eventually just stopped releasing the seperate volumes and just went to sets towards the end of that series.

3. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

I'm pretty sure these are the same transfers as before, with an extra audio commentary or two on a couple of the movies.

4. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I'm sure I won't rebuy them as I have all 14 films in five cases. And I'm grateful to have them; didn't ever think I'd see them in decent copies on DVD much less these remastered treasurable versions we originally got.

5. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Worth a Blind Buy if you like mystery stories like "The Thin Man"?

6. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I haven't picked up any of the MCI Sherlock Holmes Collections yet so I'm glad this is being released. I'll put some money aside for next month.

7. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    I have the original MPI sets (which look fantastic) so I won't be buying this again. In my opinion MPI dropped the ball on the re-release because had they repackaged the films in 14 slimcases using original poster art (the UK releases use poster art) and improved still/poster/lobby galleries I would have been all over it. The only gripe I had about the original releases was the packaging; it was cheap and lacked some obvious extras that would have made the releases even more special.

The restorations and transfers were top notch though. The thought of cramming 14 films on 5 discs makes me shudder though.

Steve

8. JohnPM

JohnPM Second Unit

Considering the brevity of their running times, I suppose you could squeeze these features onto five discs without too much compromise --- I only wish they could have re-mastered "Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes."

http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/

9. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough

Definitely. Some of the 14 are more adventure thrillers than true mysteries, but the interplay between Rathbone and Bruce is every bit as entertaining as between Powell and Loy.

Of course, other than the first two, these were B-pictures originally, and the budgets reflect that. All of THE THIN MAN films were A-list pictures made at the biggest studio at the time.

10. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

I think so, if you like old mystery films.

11. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

I've already bought the previous MPI sets, but I really enjoy these films and am anxious to have them in this friendlier condensed format. Has anyone bought the new set? How is it?

12. younger1968

younger1968 Cinematographer

paul young
    i order this set and was curious to hear how beat rate the show. I am a huge Sherlock Holmes fan. I could not bark at getting the show for a good price off amazon.

13. smithb

smithb Screenwriter

I finally got around to ordering and just received my sets of the complete movie collection (Rathbone) and the Granada TV series (Brett) this past week. I checked out the image quality of both and they look great. However, I haven't had a chance to delve into the movies/shows yet. I ended up going with the region 2 UK versions through Amazon UK because of the price differences. The movie collection ended up about $26 US shipped and the Granada TV series about $45 US shipped. Hard to beat throse prices. Of course you need a region free player, which has been a great investments far.