The Complete Musketeers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric F, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Anyone else excited about this? Doesn't Anchor Bay send out review discs?

I have this one on order- anything has got to be better than first the Fox/Lorber release. At

2. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

My copy shipped today, and I'm anxiously awaiting it. I do wish, however, that Anchor Bay would have included 1989's The Return of the Musketeers, which featured most of the original cast and crew, as then it would truly be "complete."

The Fox Lorber DVDs were horrid, and I remember paying a lot for them ($40 or $50 for the pair I think).

3. RickardL

RickardL Second Unit

I am very interested to hear reports about the sound,
    picture quality and the framing/aspect ratio of the movies!!

4. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Return was on TV here this weekend.

I don't know the issues surrounding that particular film, but I wonder if they even have a decent transfer of it lying around. I think the recent production of Man in the Iron Mask made a better Musketeers film anyways. Cosidering Return was Lester's final film they should have stuck it on DVD anyways.

5. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    Extremely excited over this one! Just dropped by Borders today to make sure they received my on-line reservation for it alright. (Last time I did that with "The Ninth Configuration" it went OK until someone stole my copy from behind the counter!) [​IMG]

I saw "The Three Musketeers" about 8 times theatrically and "The Four Musketeers" 5 or 6 times theatrically (with additional viewings on TV and DVD, of course). "The 3M" is one of my special favorite films of all time and I've seen it more times than ANY other film. I'm so glad DVD doesn't wear out. [​IMG]

6. Douglas Bailey

Douglas Bailey Second Unit

Douglas Bailey
    Early comments -- by a reviewer posting to alt.video.dvd after watching the first 20 minutes of The Three Musketeers -- are positive as to image quality and sound.

The new releases are apparently widescreen 1.77:1 or so, which is, IIRC, significantly wider than the image on the Fox/Lorber discs.

I can't wait for these...

7. Frederic_A

Frederic_A Stunt Coordinator

Great. I pre-ordered those last year - hope they make their way over the Atlantic soon. [​IMG]

8. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I was able to get my hands on a copy on Saturday. Overall it is very nice. They included both anamorphic widescreen and 4:3 versions of both films. They may look a little "bit-starved" on some larger displays, but the improvement over the Fox Lorber release is enormous. The audio sounds much better as well. It may be touched by a bit of digital noise reduction, but again, it sounds much better than what we had available on video previously. A lot of the funniest lines are said in passing or by characters speaking under their breath, so the improved mono audio is a big plus. The documentary split between the two discs is nice. One wonders if the splitting of a 50 minute documentary into two less than a half-hour documentaries was done to keep the pay of the participants down (due to contractual allowances for featurettes under 30 minutes). That would be pretty ironic given the production history of these films. [​IMG]

The films are tightly framed, which may bother some, but the 4:3 versions only adds a little bit to the top in most cases, so that one looks tightly framed vertically and severely cropped horizontally.

There are no subtitle tracks, but there are closed captions.

Regards,
    Ken

9. RickardL

RickardL Second Unit

What is the aspect ratio?
    And what about the sound, is it mono?

10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    1.77:1 aspect ratio and DD2.0 mono sound.

Regards,

11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    By the way, this disc may not be located where you would expect it at your B&M retailers. If you do not see it under action, check comedy. If you do not see it under "T" for Three Musketeers, check "F" for Four Musketeers, "M" for Musketeers, and/or "C" for "Complete Musketeers". I know of at least one confused retailer in my area. The packaging is such that it is unlikely to be filed with the Box sets.

Regards,

12. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I thought I was buying the new set from someone on eBay.

When the discs arrived...they were the Fox Lorber DVDs.

[​IMG] [​IMG]