Robin9

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Robin
Thanks for the review but . . . . you haven't encouraged me to buy this set!

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Howie
I didn't need encouragement. I love these "Streamliners" from Hal Roach and have all of them ordered. The prices are excellent on these and I'm anticipating getting the entire series, of course assuming they continue past volume 3.

I've also purchased the 2 sets with Thelma Todd - one with Patsy Kelly and one with Zasu Pitts. Only the Thelma Todd/Zasu Pitts set has arrived and I can hardly wait for the others.

bigshot

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Stephen
I've never seen these, but that lukewarm summation to the review was kind of what I expected. I wish they would release the better stuff from the Roach library... in particular "Fiesta" 1941. I'd be interested in seeing the Taxi Boys and the Edgar Kennedy shorts too.

BobO'Link

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Howie
The "Taxi Boys" streamliners are coming in Volume 3, with an expected release date of June 30th. It contains Brooklyn Orchid (1942), The McGuerins from Brooklyn (1942) and Taxi, Mister (1943).

Volume 2 is the Westerns with Noah Beery, Jr. and Jimmy Rogers and contains Dudes Are Pretty People (1942), Calaboose (1943) and Prairie Chickens (1943).

All of them are currently available at Target and part of their B2G1 free sale (Ends Saturday the 11th at midnight). They're also up for order/pre-order direct from ClassicFlix (w/$2.99 flat rate shipping per order). Both those guys are less than Amazon - Target much less if you go for the sale and pick up all 3 (that'll also get you past their free shipping minimum).

Here's a HTF post about volume 3:

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...ners-vol-3-taxi-comedies-june-30-2020.366124/

ClassicFlix

Insider
Insider
Reaction score
Website
www.classicflix.com
Real Name
David
Thanks for the review but . . . . you haven't encouraged me to buy this set!
I appreciate Matt's review, but he is giving his opinion and those do vary. He seemed to like About Face the least, but it happens to be one of my favorites in the set.

Approach these expecting 45 minutes of breezy fun, and not cinematic masterpieces, and I think you'll enjoy the set very much -- especially if you like William Tracy and/or Joe Sawyer as they are funny here and have good chemistry.

- David
ClassicFlix Founder, Producer

ClassicFlix

Insider
Insider
Reaction score
Website
www.classicflix.com
Real Name
David
The "Taxi Boys" streamliners are coming in Volume 3, with an expected release date of June 30th. It contains Brooklyn Orchid (1942), The McGuerins from Brooklyn (1942) and Taxi, Mister (1943).

Volume 2 is the Westerns with Noah Beery, Jr. and Jimmy Rogers and contains Dudes Are Pretty People (1942), Calaboose (1943) and Prairie Chickens (1943).

All of them are currently available at Target and part of their B2G1 free sale (Ends Saturday the 11th at midnight). They're also up for order/pre-order direct from ClassicFlix (w/$2.99 flat rate shipping per order). Both those guys are less than Amazon - Target much less if you go for the sale and pick up all 3 (that'll also get you past their free shipping minimum).

Here's a HTF post about volume 3:

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...ners-vol-3-taxi-comedies-june-30-2020.366124/
FYI - The "Taxi Boys" comedies were early 30s Roach shorts and not the "Taxi Comedies" we're releasing in June.

- David

ClassicFlix

Insider
Insider
Reaction score
Website
www.classicflix.com
Real Name
David
I've never seen these, but that lukewarm summation to the review was kind of what I expected. I wish they would release the better stuff from the Roach library... in particular "Fiesta" 1941. I'd be interested in seeing the Taxi Boys and the Edgar Kennedy shorts too.
Fiesta is coming, and while not remastered, it'll look better than anything out there.

- David

TJPC

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Terry Carroll
It is absolutely just me I know, but I almost totally lose interest in movies from the classic era, except musicals, by 1940. The comedy seems stupid to me, and horror of horrors along come Abbot and Costello, and I can’t stand more than 5 minutes of them!

On the other hand I could be convinced I am re-incarnated from the 1920 to 1933 era.

ClassicFlix

Insider
Insider
Reaction score
Website
www.classicflix.com
Real Name
David
Are you able to provide any information about the remaining Streamliners? Like - how many films/volumes to expect?
We plan to have 6 volumes:

Nothing solid yet, but Musicals are likely in August,
  • All-American Co-Ed (1941)
  • Fiesta (1941)
  • Flying with Music (1942)
a "Comedy" Volume in September/October time frame:
  • Niagara Falls (1941)
  • Miss Polly (1941)
  • The Devil with Hitler (1942)
  • Nazty Nuisance (1943)
  • The Fabulous Joe (1947)
then a "Curley" set hopefully this year, but the materials for Robbin are a challenge at the moment so it's tough to say a specific time frame:
  • Curley (1947)
  • Who Killed Doc Robbin (1948)
- David

Hoppy

Extra
Reaction score
Real Name
Jay
I appreciate Matt's review, but he is giving his opinion and those do vary. He seemed to like About Face the least, but it happens to be one of my favorites in the set.

Approach these expecting 45 minutes of breezy fun, and not cinematic masterpieces, and I think you'll enjoy the set very much -- especially if you like William Tracy and/or Joe Sawyer as they are funny here and have good chemistry.

- David
Mine arrived yesterday and while I haven't had a chance to watch any of them yet, breezy fun is what I'm expecting. I've already preordered volumes 2 and 3, looking forward to getting all six!

Bert Greene

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Just watched "About Face" (1942) this evening. Breezy, minor-league fun. And with the distaff side merrily represented by Jean Porter, Marjorie Lord, Margaret Dumont and Veda Ann Borg. With the 'streamliners' relatively short 45-minute running times, they zip in and zip out before wearing out their welcome. I'd seen some of these Tracy-Sawyer flicks before, but I'm really happy to have them all batched together in a collection. And I'm particularly pleased to now see a decent color print of "Here Comes Trouble." Looking forward to all of ClassicFlix' Hal Roach releases. On a sheer percentage-wise basis, I think I own more ClassicFlix releases than any other brand. I took a powder on only three or four of them.

The only other outfit besides Roach that I'm aware made streamliners were those Comet Pictures releases, which Mary Pickford and Charles 'Buddy' Rogers were involved with. I don't recall ever seeing them circulate anywhere, but I've always been curious to see "Little Iodine" (1946), ostensibly based on the comic-strip, as well as "Susie Steps Out" (1946).

Reactions: Matt Hough

ClassicFlix

Insider
Insider
Reaction score
Website
www.classicflix.com
Real Name
David
Just watched "About Face" (1942) this evening. Breezy, minor-league fun. And with the distaff side merrily represented by Jean Porter, Marjorie Lord, Margaret Dumont and Veda Ann Borg. With the 'streamliners' relatively short 45-minute running times, they zip in and zip out before wearing out their welcome. I'd seen some of these Tracy-Sawyer flicks before, but I'm really happy to have them all batched together in a collection. And I'm particularly pleased to now see a decent color print of "Here Comes Trouble." Looking forward to all of ClassicFlix' Hal Roach releases. On a sheer percentage-wise basis, I think I own more ClassicFlix releases than any other brand. I took a powder on only three or four of them.

The only other outfit besides Roach that I'm aware made streamliners were those Comet Pictures releases, which Mary Pickford and Charles 'Buddy' Rogers were involved with. I don't recall ever seeing them circulate anywhere, but I've always been curious to see "Little Iodine" (1946), ostensibly based on the comic-strip, as well as "Susie Steps Out" (1946).
Thanks for your support Bert!

- David

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JP2