What's new

The Columbia/Sony Wishlist Thread (1 Viewer)

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
thanx all for the heads-up on the novak set... i've pre-ordered it on amazon already! can't wait to see the remastered print of 'bell, book, and candle', with novak at the height of her gorgeousness (after 'vertigo' of course). and the closeups in that film of her holding that cat are killer! this is the only film -i know of- where i can clearly see that famed lavender tint in novak's blonde hair.

surprisingly the price on this set is far less than the hayworth box set, which will be the 'dvd set of the year' for me if it ever shows up!

this year so far is proving to be surprisingly good for classic films, at least for my collection..... just this summer i have the novak set, 'the red shoes', 'black narcissus', 'black orpheus', and 'pandora and the flying dutchman' all pre-ordered and on the way......and all are completely restored and remastered. that's very encouraging....and i can't wait to see all that eye-popping technicolor!!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Mark B

Y O W Z A!

I can not wait to get my hands on that Novak set. PICNIC and PAL JOEY have never had a decent home video release.

I don't remember either of those dvds not being decent when they came out in 99/00. These new releases, with little doubt, I expect them to be better in quality due to technology advances made in the industry.

Crawdaddy

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
The Sony homepage lists the following special features for the set:

• Kim Novak's Hollywood Picnic
  • Reflections In The Middle of The Night
  • Backstage and At Home with Kim Novak
  • Select Scenes Commentary with Kim Novak and Author Stephen Rebello
  • Bewitched, Bothered and Blonde

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
According to Classicflix, the Novak set is going to be on just 3 discs:

http://www.classicflix.com/novak-film-collection-bell-book-candle-middle-night-jeanne-eagels-picnic-joey-p-10018.html

I would've preferred 1 film per disc.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by BethHarrison

According to Classicflix, the Novak set is going to be on just 3 discs:

http://www.classicflix.com/novak-film-collection-bell-book-candle-middle-night-jeanne-eagels-picnic-joey-p-10018.html

I would've preferred 1 film per disc.

Each of the films is under 2 hours. Shouldn't be a problem with a compression tech who knows his or her stuff.

Doug

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce

Each of the films is under 2 hours. Shouldn't be a problem with a compression tech who knows his or her stuff.
Doug

The Jeanne Eagels / Picnic disc will be average at most 5.2 Mbps. That's pretty low, I think they normally aim for at least 6 Mbps.

I may just wait and hope they put Picnic out on Blu-ray, which is the film I really, really want.

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
I wouldn't hold my breath for PICNIC on Blu.

A well-transferred element properly authored can look just great at 5.2 mbps. I think you should wait for the disc before pre-judging it.

A bad source encoded at 8mbps can look terrible, high bit-rate or not.

The Jeanne Eagels / Picnic disc will be average at most 5.2 Mbps. That's pretty low, I think they normally aim for at least 6 Mbps.

I may just wait and hope they put Picnic out on Blu-ray, which is the film I really, really want.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
chances are "Picinc", "Pal Joey" and "Bell Book and Candle" will come to blu-ray, since these films have all been released on DVD, if they were recently re-mastered SONY would have done so with Blu-Ray in mind

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
How many classic films has Sony been putting out on Blu lately? Can you come up with any? EVERYTHING is now mastered in HD, but not specifically with Blu in mind. DVDs mastered from HD downconversions look better, and there are many HD cable channels that show these films as well. The market isn't there for average vintage catalog product on Blu - only the very top tier catalog product is being reissued on Blu at all, and at a snail's pace at that.

I completely disagree that "if they were recently re-mastered SONY would have done so with Blu-Ray in mind." They were remastered because it needed to be done for an improved DVD release and perhaps for sale to HD Net Movies. If the market was there for Blu versions of these films, then they would've been announced. If and when there is a market, then they can use these remasters in HD, but I disagree that their main goal was preparing these for Blu. Nope. Sorry. Think about it.

Originally Posted by GMpasqua

chances are "Picinc", "Pal Joey" and "Bell Book and Candle" will come to blu-ray, since these films have all been released on DVD, if they were recently re-mastered SONY would have done so with Blu-Ray in mind

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Thats pretty standard for most TV releases. I would think Picnic would have a fair shot at at blu-ray release. Its a fairly important film.

Doug

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Rumor is that Criterion has sub-licensed the New Hollywood-titles from Sony and is putting out this set in November on DVD & Blu-ray. Sounds like a cooperation between Sony and Criterion.

See: http://criterioncast.com/2010/06/02/rumor-criterion-to-release-new-hollywood-box-set-this-november/#more-3993

And: http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=291680#p291680

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Does that mean the price just doubled? Doh!

Seriously, it would be nice to see those on blu-ray...I just may have to wait until next July to get it on sale.

Originally Posted by Marcel H.

Rumor is that Criterion has sub-licensed the New Hollywood-titles from Sony and is putting out this set in November on DVD & Blu-ray. Sounds like a cooperation between Sony and Criterion.

See: http://criterioncast.com/2010/06/02/rumor-criterion-to-release-new-hollywood-box-set-this-november/#more-3993

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
Originally Posted by WadeM

Does that mean the price just doubled? Doh!

Seriously, it would be nice to see those on blu-ray...I just may have to wait until next July to get it on sale.
Criterion Blu-rays are normally the same price as the same DVD. I'll definately get this set on Blu-ray, whereas as much as I love Five Easy Pieces and The King of Margin Gardens, I wasn't going to bother getting the new DVDs because new HD masters would mean Blu-rays reasonably soon. But getting this box on Blu-ray with Criterion's participation will be well worth it. The DVD set was going to be $80, which really means $60 for pre-orders. Even if the Blu-ray box costs $100 to pre-order I'll get it.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
How about some speculation on upcoming titles/sets? At Columbia's Ask the Experts column, someone asked about more movies with Irene Dunne and Jean Arthur and Sony responded:
We are still actively working on our releasing schedule for the upcoming year. Jean Arthur, was a major female star at Columbia in the 1930’s and 40’s worked with the major directors at Columbia (...) That said, Miss Arthur would be a fantastic subject for a box set, and we have a number of fine films that have not yet been released. Irene Dunne is another wonderful female lead, and almost all of her Columbia films have also been released (...)
Did some research on unreleased Jean Arthur titles:
  • The Defense Rests (1934)
  • Whirlpool (1934)
  • The Whole Town's Talking (1935) - I consider this a MUST release either as part of a possible John Ford package or as a Jean Arthur set
  • Party Wire (1935)
  • The Public Menace (1935)
  • Adventure in Manhattan (1936)
  • More Than a Secretary (1936)
  • The Impatient Years (1944)
This having said I'd love to see a Jean Arthur set in 2011 - haven't seen any of these movies but they sound quite interesting. Besides Penny Serenade that is Public Domain (?), is there another unreleased Irene Dunne Columbia title? I found Over 21 (1945) but I'm not sure whether it's still owned by Columbia.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
Now that Film Noir Vol 2 is finally coming, I'm looking forward to a Volume 3...There are still enough A-Class Noirs to make a wonderful set: Knock on Any Door, The Reckless Moment, Johnny O'Clock, Tight Spot, The Dark Past, The Harder They Fall, etc.

As for Director's boxsets, I'd say John Ford is a must, along with second volumes for Frank Capra and Stanley Kramer. Perhaps Nicholas Ray as well.

Housekeeping is my most wanted single title and On the Waterfront my most wanted reissue.

The War themed boxsets I suggested in this thread would be utterly fantastic as well.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by WadeM

Excellent news! I was wondering if the delay from last year mean't something much better was coming! I'm definately in for the Blu ray set.

BillWatkins

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill
Here's some more films for the list that I'd like to see:

No Greater Glory (1934)

Blind Alley (1939)
Ladies in Retirement (1941)

Passport to Suez (1943)

A Song to Remember (1945)

Over 21 (1945)

Ladies of the Chorus (1948)

Boots Malone (1952)

Last of the Comanches (1953)

The Detective/Father Brown (1954)

No Time To Be Young (1957)

The Two-Headed Spy (1958)

Song Without End (1960)

Genghis Khan (1965)

The Wrong Box (1966)

Enter Laughing (1967)

The Comic (1969)

I Never Sang For My Father (1970)

Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams (1973)

Alamo Bay (1985)

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Updated the initial post and added Bill's titles.

By the was. It seems that Sony is updating their Columbia Classics page. On Monday they had two articles online about the upcoming Blu-ray of Jason and the Argonauts + something about The Three Stooges. The Argonauts-posting was by Mr. Crisp and Mr. Schlesinger wrote the Stooges article.

Those postings are gone but I think they'll surface again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks