1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Columbia/Sony Wishlist Thread

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Marcel H., Nov 16, 2009.

1. Marcel H.

Marcel H. Supporting Actor

Marcel
    Does Sony/Columbia own enough pre-code titles - aside from the Capra titles - that could make a pre-code boxed set?

2. jsmiller

jsmiller Auditioning

Jeff Miller

There aren't many, at least compared to what is still in the vaults at Warner, MGM and Fox. A few unreleased Columbia pre-codes (other than the Capra titles) that come to mind are:

Holiday (1930)
    A Man's Castle ((1933)
    Shopworn (1932)
    Ten Cents a Dance (1931)
    Three Wise Girls (1932)
    Virtue (1932)

I'm not sure there are many beyond these that would be considered worthy of a box set. Obviously, the Stanwyck/Capra titles are far and away the most important pre-codes in Columbia's catalog. Here's hoping Sony releases them as promised in 2010.

3. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Auditioning

Jeroen
    Knock on any door (1949)
    Human Desire (1954)
    Porgy and Bess (1959)

4. Jay*W

Jay*W Second Unit
    Supporter

Picnic reissued in Widescreen. Been looking everywhere for a copy to complete my Columbia Classics banner collection!

5. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    I've just bought "The Camp On Blood Island" & "The Damned", they look very good, will probably buy "Yesterdays Enemy" after Christmas (this is in the UK).

6. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    Good choices, all. I am surprised, however, that no one mentioned the absolutely hilarious 1967 film, WHO'S MINDING THE MINT? Or the 1971 Oscar-winning documentary THE HELLSTROM CHRONICLE. Or the very powerful Vietnam War drama DON'T CRY, IT'S ONLY THUNDER. None of these was even released to laser disc -- they were VHS only.

7. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny
    Has anyone mentioned PEPE?

8. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor
    Supporter

Allen

And it needs to be the roadshow version, with intermissionl, the general release version cuts out some of the cameo stars. And once again the roadshow version of Lost Horizon (1973). A very interesting, but bizarre film.

9. Jay*W

Jay*W Second Unit
    Supporter

Would love a nice release of Penny Serenade that rescues it from PD hell.

10. MLamarre

MLamarre Second Unit

Matthew Lamarre
    This may be a bit off-topic, but a suggestion nonetheless:

I think Sony should ensure it's marketing department updates the primary poster image on IMDb.com for all of their catalog releases. When most people Google a film/actor/director, the IMDb page is usually the first search result. If Joe Blow who doesn't follow DVD releases finds a movie he's never seen with a favorite actor of his, he may think it hasn't been released on DVD or may be less inclined to pursue it if he doesn't see the DVD cover art on the page. Especially if it's an older film and there is only the original poster art, VHS cover art or (worst of all) no picture at all.

A good example of this is The Buttercup Chain, released in the last wave of Martini Movies. It's IMDb page not only has no picture at all, it doesn't have an active link to 'Buy it at Amazon'. Exact same situation for The Crimson Kimono, one of the highlights of the Sam Fuller Collection.

11. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Here's a suggestion which I wouldn't take as priority but would be a welcomed filler release between catalog titldes... why not a Bogart set in the same vein as the Cary Grant box from a few years back with all of the Columbia titles like Sahara, Dead Reckoning, Knock On Any Door, Tokyo Joe, In A Lonely Place, Sirocco and The Harder They Fall in one place for those of us who haven't dipped into these waters? Some of these titles don't necessarily merit revisiting but a few could benefit from improved transfers or just better mastering and would be nice to collect in an economical set comprising all of the above. Maybe even tack on a few extras for incentive and a inviting price tag.

Btw, has anything been said of the early Stanwyck's; Are there forthcoming plans for these?

12. Marcel H.

Marcel
    A Bogart bundle - even as a complete repackage - sounds like a good idea since the individual releases might have reached the break even point long ago and some of them are already OOP.
    So, a perfect Bogart collection would look like this:

Sahara
    Dead Reckoning
    Tokyo Joe
    Knock on Any Door - plus an individual release for those that don't want to buy the whole set for this single title
    Sirocco

The Caine Mutiny
    The Harder They Fall

In A LonelyPlace is already slated for the 2nd Noir set and therefore I left it out.

13. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor
    Supporter

Allen
    I agree with both previous posts. This would be a fast buy and I would not even cry about a double dip this time. It would also be great if there was short documentary on Bogart's Columbia Years. I know that most films were through his production company, but I would love to hear about how he got along with Uncle Harry.

14. Miguel M Santos

Miguel M Santos Stunt Coordinator

Miguel M Santos
    Just caught CHILD OF MANHATTAN at a screening at the cinematheque in Lisbon. The print looked really good and the film is a gem - based on a Preston Sturges' play. Would love to see that released.

15. Marcel H.

Marcel
    Sony's classic discs were ranked #5 (Film Noir Classics I) and #7 (Sam Fuller Collection) in the "Beaver's DVD of the Year 2009" list.

16. Simon Howson

Simon Howson Screenwriter

The only competition was from Criterion.

17. MLamarre

MLamarre Second Unit

Matthew Lamarre
    They also made it on the list of several DVDTimes reviewers top 10 DVDs of the year, along with the Michael Powell set and Night of the Creeps.

18. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny

Hasn't TCM run this a couple of times?

19. Marcel H.

Marcel
    Great news from Sony. They updated their Blog and Grover Crisp made a post called The Film Foundation and The Collector's Choice. There he talks about how this relationship has started, which sets are already available and he talks a bit about the upcoming Rita Hayworth set and about the Columbia Pictures Film Noir Classics ll and guess what, they changed the line-up a bit. It seems now that In a Lonely Place is out and HUMAN DESIRE is in:

20. Livius

Livius Second Unit

Colin
    Really happy to see Human Desire make the cut. I've nothing against In a Lonely Place mind, but this makes it a stronger set by removing the double dip. I'm looking forward to this even more now.