What's new

The Columbia/Sony Wishlist Thread (1 Viewer)

Charles H

Screenwriter
II'd love to see a five pack of these WWII films: Anthony Mann's THE HEROES OF TELEMARK, Peter Glenville's ME AND THE COLONEL, Carol Reed's THE KEY, Anatole Litvak's THE NIGHT OF THE GENERALS, and Carl Foreman's THE VICTORS. All but THE VICTORS have already been released on R2. Hell, it would be worth releasing them one at a time (on "Martini Movies"?) just to get them out there.

IanD

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to see a British horror set, perhaps containing

Night of the Demon (the current one costs more then an Icons Set!)
Creeping Flesh (currently OOP)
Creatures The World Forgot
Corruption (I THINK this one is Columbia...)

I'll try and think of some more!

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
I added another column called "In Production/Planned". Here, I compiled those bits and pieces of information we have about possible upcoming Sony catalog titles.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
The Legend Of Billie Jean (1985)

Starring Helen Slater

The Fuller Brush Girl (1950)

Starring Lucille Ball

Where The Boys Are '84
Starring Lisa Hartman

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
Originally Posted by Charles H

II'd love to see a five pack of these WWII films: Anthony Mann's THE HEROES OF TELEMARK, Peter Glenville's ME AND THE COLONEL, Carol Reed's THE KEY, Anatole Litvak's THE NIGHT OF THE GENERALS, and Carl Foreman's THE VICTORS. All but THE VICTORS have already been released on R2. Hell, it would be worth releasing them one at a time (on "Martini Movies"?) just to get them out there.
Not a bad idea. War films usually sell well, a boxset would be great. Here's what we could have based on votes (Film Noir included)

Columbia Pictures War Classics I - The Heroes of Telemark, The Victors, Eight Iron Men, Counter-Attack, The Cockleshell Heroes

Columbia Pictures War Classics II - The Key, The Night of the Generals, None Shall Escape, The Juggler, The Mountain Road

Columbia Pictures War Classics III - Me and the Colonel, Mr. Winkle Goes to War, The Best of Enemies, The Red Beret, All the Young Men

Columbia Pictures Film Noir Classics III - Knock on Any Door, The Reckless Moment, Human Desire, Tight Spot, Johnny O'Clock

Columbia Pictures Film Noir Classics IV - Escape in the Fog, Blind Spot, Framed, Convicted, Between Midnight and Dawn

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Also, if Sony still controls, THE GRAVY TRAIN (aka THE DION BROTHERS).

Originally Posted by Jon Hertzberg

Would love to see VIRTUE, starring Carole Lombard, which has already been mentioned here. Also, any other Lombard titles controlled by Sony. The more pre-Codes, the merrier.

Also, from the '70s...WHITE LINE FEVER and REMEMBER MY NAME, please.

CITY OF HOPE and THE MUSIC OF CHANCE--my laserdiscs were Columbia/TriStar...don't know if they are still controlled by Sony.

Another plug for THE STONE KILLER and HARD TIMES in its OAR again.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Women's Prison is the first title to be erased from the wishlist. Hope others will follow next year. :) Keep up the good work, Sony.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
Great news.

Digging deeper, there is enough war titles for a possible 4th volume...

Columbia Pictures War Classics IV - Counter-Espionage, Q Planes, U-Boat 29, Destroyer, Reveille with Beverly

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
TOO MANY HUSBANDS from the 1940s should also be elminated from the list. It's already out as part of Sony's Icons Of Screwball Comedy collection.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Originally Posted by MLamarre

Great news.

Digging deeper, there is enough war titles for a possible 4th volume...

Columbia Pictures War Classics IV - Counter-Espionage, Q Planes, U-Boat 29, Destroyer, Reveille with Beverly
[COLOR= #0000ff]Most of those we no longer have the rights to. Also, REVEILLE WITH BEVERLY would be a bad fit, seeing as how it's a musical with Ann Miller and Frank Sinatra.

Mike S.[/COLOR]

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
Originally Posted by cadavra

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]Most of those we no longer have the rights to. Also, REVEILLE WITH BEVERLY would be a bad fit, seeing as how it's a musical with Ann Miller and Frank Sinatra.

Mike S.[/COLOR]
I suppose you are right about BEVERLY. I imagine it's the two Brit films (PLANES, U-BOAT) you no longer have the rights to? That aside, it would still be great to have COUNTER-ESPIONAGE and DESTROYER.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
I am convinced that FROM HERE TO ETERNITY was originally shown in it's premiere engagement(1953) in NYC at the Capitol Theatre in 'Widescreen and Stereophonic Sound'. This probably means an OAR of 1:85. Not only do the ads of the period state this but the NYT Critic mentions that the picture didn't need the widescreen at all...

The two Columbia Classic pictures I look forward to also have to do with WAR...

Carl Forman's YOUNG WINSTON in its original UK Roadshow version as well as his much maligned and cut THE VICTORS in its full 175 minute version with overture etc.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
I am convinced that FROM HERE TO ETERNITY was originally shown in it's premiere engagement(1953) in NYC at the Capitol Theatre in 'Widescreen and Stereophonic Sound'. This probably means an OAR of 1:85. Not only do the ads of the period state this but the NYT Critic mentions that the picture didn't need the widescreen at all...

It was. But, I'm pretty certain that this was one of the few "transition titles"... ie. a film that was shot for 1.37, but made it into the widescreen season at the movies. WAR OF THE WORLDS, THUNDER BAY, 5000 FINGERS OF DR. T, IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE and JULIUS CAESAR are examples of these type films.

Whether a film was shot for widescreen or not during that era depends on the shooting rather than the release date.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Originally Posted by Thomas T

Originally Posted by MLamarre

I suppose you are right about BEVERLY. I imagine it's the two Brit films (PLANES, U-BOAT) you no longer have the rights to? That aside, it would still be great to have COUNTER-ESPIONAGE and DESTROYER.
Added the three non-Brit films to the wishlist.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Since it's always worth mentioning... how about some "Capra at Columbia" Sets with Frank Capra's late 1920's-1930's films - TCM has run many of them a couple of times aready and are running most of them this month.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
As a side note. The following Columbia/Sony sets are currently on sale (till the 12/22) on Amazon:

• Icons of Sci-Fi: Toho Collection $ 13,49
  • Budd Boetticher Collection (Tall T / Decision at Sundown / Buchanan Rides Alone / Ride Lonesome / Comanche Station) $ 24,49
  • Icons of Horror: Hammer Films (2-disc) (The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb / The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll / Scream of Fear / The Gorgon) $ 10,99
  • The Premiere Frank Capra Collection (Mr. Smith Goes to Washington / It Happened One Night / You Can't Take It with You / Mr. Deeds Goes to Town / American Madness / Frank Capra's American Dream) $ 24,99
  • The William Castle Film Collection (13 Frightened Girls / 13 Ghosts / Homicidal / Strait-Jacket / The Old Dark House / Mr. Sardonicus / The Tingler / Zotz!) $ 35,99
  • The Cary Grant Box Set (Holiday / Only Angels Have Wings / The Talk of the Town / His Girl Friday / The Awful Truth) $ 21,49
  • The Samuel Fuller Film Collection (It Happened in Hollywood / Adventure in Sahara / Power of the Press / The Crimson Kimono / Shockproof / Scandal Sheet / Underworld U.S.A.) $ 39,99
  • Stanley Kramer Film Collection (Guess Who's Coming to Dinner / Ship of Fools / The Member of the Wedding / The Wild One / The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T) $ 24,49

BillWatkins

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill
Death of a Salesman 1951
I Love Trouble
M 1951
The Last Angry Man
The Lindbergh Kidnapping Case
Hamlet 1969
The Fortune
Man on a String
Yesterday's Enemy

ChrisPearson

Second Unit
COLUMBIA CARTOON CLASSICS!- featuring Screen Gems - Krazy Kat, Scrappy, Color Rhapsody series and The Fox and Crow shorts!A complete collection of UPA's innovative and groundbreaking JOLLY FROLICS series!MR. MAGOO - The Columbia Pictures theatrical cartoons: 1950-1959 (+1)
I'd like to add my interest to these. If Sony needs a marketing angle, perhaps they could be bundled together a la Universal's Woody Woodpecker and Friends sets as Mr Magoo and Friends (10 Magoos per disc, plus 15 or so others).

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
DC Comics (National Periotical Publication) Had a FOX & THE CROW comic for years! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks