1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Columbia/Sony Wishlist Thread

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Marcel H., Nov 16, 2009.

1. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

II'd love to see a five pack of these WWII films: Anthony Mann's THE HEROES OF TELEMARK, Peter Glenville's ME AND THE COLONEL, Carol Reed's THE KEY, Anatole Litvak's THE NIGHT OF THE GENERALS, and Carl Foreman's THE VICTORS. All but THE VICTORS have already been released on R2. Hell, it would be worth releasing them one at a time (on "Martini Movies"?) just to get them out there.

2. IanD

IanD Stunt Coordinator

I'd like to see a British horror set, perhaps containing

Night of the Demon (the current one costs more then an Icons Set!)
    Creeping Flesh (currently OOP)
    Creatures The World Forgot
    Corruption (I THINK this one is Columbia...)

I'll try and think of some more!

3. Marcel H.

Marcel H. Supporting Actor

Marcel
    I added another column called "In Production/Planned". Here, I compiled those bits and pieces of information we have about possible upcoming Sony catalog titles.

4. Robert13

Robert13 Supporting Actor

Robert
    The Legend Of Billie Jean (1985)

Starring Helen Slater

The Fuller Brush Girl (1950)

Starring Lucille Ball

Where The Boys Are '84
    Starring Lisa Hartman

5. MLamarre

MLamarre Second Unit

Matthew Lamarre
    Not a bad idea. War films usually sell well, a boxset would be great. Here's what we could have based on votes (Film Noir included)

Columbia Pictures War Classics I - The Heroes of Telemark, The Victors, Eight Iron Men, Counter-Attack, The Cockleshell Heroes

Columbia Pictures War Classics II - The Key, The Night of the Generals, None Shall Escape, The Juggler, The Mountain Road

Columbia Pictures War Classics III - Me and the Colonel, Mr. Winkle Goes to War, The Best of Enemies, The Red Beret, All the Young Men

Columbia Pictures Film Noir Classics III - Knock on Any Door, The Reckless Moment, Human Desire, Tight Spot, Johnny O'Clock

Columbia Pictures Film Noir Classics IV - Escape in the Fog, Blind Spot, Framed, Convicted, Between Midnight and Dawn

6. Marcel H.

Marcel
    I would buy those sets immediately. :)

7. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    Also, if Sony still controls, THE GRAVY TRAIN (aka THE DION BROTHERS).

8. Marcel H.

Marcel
    Women's Prison is the first title to be erased from the wishlist. Hope others will follow next year. :) Keep up the good work, Sony.

9. MLamarre

MLamarre Second Unit

Matthew Lamarre
    Great news.

Digging deeper, there is enough war titles for a possible 4th volume...

Columbia Pictures War Classics IV - Counter-Espionage, Q Planes, U-Boat 29, Destroyer, Reveille with Beverly

10. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

TOO MANY HUSBANDS from the 1940s should also be elminated from the list. It's already out as part of Sony's Icons Of Screwball Comedy collection.

11. cadavra

cadavra Second Unit

mike schlesinger
    Most of those we no longer have the rights to. Also, REVEILLE WITH BEVERLY would be a bad fit, seeing as how it's a musical with Ann Miller and Frank Sinatra.

Mike S.

12. MLamarre

MLamarre Second Unit

Matthew Lamarre
    I suppose you are right about BEVERLY. I imagine it's the two Brit films (PLANES, U-BOAT) you no longer have the rights to? That aside, it would still be great to have COUNTER-ESPIONAGE and DESTROYER.

13. Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen Supporting Actor

I am convinced that FROM HERE TO ETERNITY was originally shown in it's premiere engagement(1953) in NYC at the Capitol Theatre in 'Widescreen and Stereophonic Sound'. This probably means an OAR of 1:85. Not only do the ads of the period state this but the NYT Critic mentions that the picture didn't need the widescreen at all...

The two Columbia Classic pictures I look forward to also have to do with WAR...

Carl Forman's YOUNG WINSTON in its original UK Roadshow version as well as his much maligned and cut THE VICTORS in its full 175 minute version with overture etc.

14. Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston Supporting Actor

Jack Theakston
    It was. But, I'm pretty certain that this was one of the few "transition titles"... ie. a film that was shot for 1.37, but made it into the widescreen season at the movies. WAR OF THE WORLDS, THUNDER BAY, 5000 FINGERS OF DR. T, IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE and JULIUS CAESAR are examples of these type films.

Whether a film was shot for widescreen or not during that era depends on the shooting rather than the release date.

15. Marcel H.

Marcel
    Originally Posted by Thomas T

Added the three non-Brit films to the wishlist.

16. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny
    Since it's always worth mentioning... how about some "Capra at Columbia" Sets with Frank Capra's late 1920's-1930's films - TCM has run many of them a couple of times aready and are running most of them this month.

17. Marcel H.

Marcel
    As a side note. The following Columbia/Sony sets are currently on sale (till the 12/22) on Amazon:

• Icons of Sci-Fi: Toho Collection $ 13,49
    • Budd Boetticher Collection (Tall T / Decision at Sundown / Buchanan Rides Alone / Ride Lonesome / Comanche Station) $ 24,49
    • Icons of Horror: Hammer Films (2-disc) (The Curse of the Mummy's Tomb / The Two Faces of Dr. Jekyll / Scream of Fear / The Gorgon) $ 10,99
    • The Premiere Frank Capra Collection (Mr. Smith Goes to Washington / It Happened One Night / You Can't Take It with You / Mr. Deeds Goes to Town / American Madness / Frank Capra's American Dream) $ 24,99
    • The William Castle Film Collection (13 Frightened Girls / 13 Ghosts / Homicidal / Strait-Jacket / The Old Dark House / Mr. Sardonicus / The Tingler / Zotz!) $ 35,99
    • The Cary Grant Box Set (Holiday / Only Angels Have Wings / The Talk of the Town / His Girl Friday / The Awful Truth) $ 21,49
    • The Samuel Fuller Film Collection (It Happened in Hollywood / Adventure in Sahara / Power of the Press / The Crimson Kimono / Shockproof / Scandal Sheet / Underworld U.S.A.) $ 39,99
    • Stanley Kramer Film Collection (Guess Who's Coming to Dinner / Ship of Fools / The Member of the Wedding / The Wild One / The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T) $ 24,49

18. BillWatkins

BillWatkins Auditioning

Bill
    Death of a Salesman 1951
    I Love Trouble
    M 1951
    The Last Angry Man
    The Lindbergh Kidnapping Case
    Hamlet 1969
    The Fortune
    Man on a String
    Yesterday's Enemy

19. ChrisPearson

ChrisPearson Second Unit

I'd like to add my interest to these. If Sony needs a marketing angle, perhaps they could be bundled together a la Universal's Woody Woodpecker and Friends sets as Mr Magoo and Friends (10 Magoos per disc, plus 15 or so others).

20. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny
    DC Comics (National Periotical Publication) Had a FOX & THE CROW comic for years! :)