What's new

The Columbia/Sony Wishlist Thread (1 Viewer)

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis

All of the Blondie movies in their original film format (not those King Features Syndicate releases). If I'm not mistaken, the original movies were owned by Columbia.

Rights reverted back to King Features/Hearst, the same way the 3 FLASH GORDON serials did.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
You see where this kind of thread is going, don't you? Folks post suggestions of what they'd like to see released, some with very long lists. So eventually just about everything they own will be listed. How is that going to help Sony?

I think the only way this can be useful to Sony as a survey is if you have a listing of unreleased titles for people to somehow vote for or rank their top 5 or 10, then you compile the stats on that. This could give them a sense of what may be the most sought after.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
Originally Posted by GlennH

You see where this kind of thread is going, don't you? Folks post suggestions of what they'd like to see released, some with very long lists. So eventually just about everything they own will be listed. How is that going to help Sony?

I think the only way this can be useful to Sony as a survey is if you have a listing of unreleased titles for people to somehow vote for or rank their top 5 or 10, then you compile the stats on that. This could give them a sense of what may be the most sought after.
IMDb ratings and vote counts can sometimes be a good indicator of popularity.

re: 1984 - That doesn't appear to be a legit version and it's OOP.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
I created an overview in my first post. This way it's easier to find those movies that have been mentioned.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
That's a good start. Maybe you can keep updating that with (+1, +2, etc.) for multiple mentions/votes or something like that.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
John Ford has another title that I've wanted for some time:
"Two Rode Together" with James Stewart & Richard Widmark

I would be in favor of combining that with "The Whole Town's Talking", "The Long Gray Line", "The Last Hurrah", and any other Ford titles that they may have the rights too. Yes, two of those are re-releases but they've been out for a long time and I'm sure that they could do with a new transfer.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Originally Posted by GlennH

That's a good start. Maybe you can keep updating that with (+1, +2, etc.) for multiple mentions/votes or something like that.
I'll try it.

Another John Ford addition: Gideon's Day (1958).
I like Eric Peterson's idea of a John Ford set.

BillWatkins

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill
The Key - Carol Reed
The Running Man - Carol Reed
The Deadly Affair - Sidney Lumet
Lovin' Molly - Sidney Lumet
The Criminal Code - Howard Hawks
The Liberation of L.B. Jones - William Wyler
Porgy and Bess - Otto Preminger
Slightly French - Douglas Sirk

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
BillWatkins, I guess you're not aware that Sirk's Shockproof is already out on DVD. It's part of the Sam Fuller Collection that came out a few weeks ago.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Good thread, but don't forget the UPA Jolly Frolics series in that section...

These included brilliant animated short subjects like Madeline (1952), The Tell-Tale Heart (1953), Christopher Crumpet (1953), Rooty Toot Toot (1951), the four Gerald McBoing Boing cartoons, Ragtime Bear (1949; Mr Magoo), Punchy De Leon (1950; Fox and Crow) and other memorable cartoons like The Popcorn Story, Giddyap, Unicorn In The Garden, The Emperor's New Clothes, Family Circus and so on... the most innovative and influential to come from the studio and overdue on DVD considering these were at least released on VHS years back in several volumes!

Also, I'll second the votes for "Two Rode Together", "Crime and Punishment", "Escape In The Fog", "Knock On Any Door", "The Walking Hills", "The Whole Town's Talking", "Blind Spot", "Framed", "The Dark Past", "Tight Spot", "The Key", "Johnny Oclock", "She Married Her Boss", "Forbidden", "Convicted", "Between Midnight and Dawn", "Adventure In Manhatten", "A Bullet Is Waiting", "Mickey One", "Lovin' Molly", "The Deadly Affair", "The Running Man", "Providence" and "R.P.M."... probably in that order, although admittedly, I'd probably pick any from the list at a good price point. The cartoon classics and noirs are my number one wants though!

walter o

Supporting Actor
I meant X,Y, AND ZEE. the Elizabeth Taylor film, but CRIMWAVES would be great too.

Also forgot to mention two filsm with a great peformance by Richard Attenborough, SEVERED HEAD and 1Q0 RILLINGTON PLACE with Judy Geeson.

Speaking of Geeson, some more films she did for Columbia, HAMMERHEAD, BERZERK and THE EXECUTIONER with George Peppard.

And speaking of Peppard, his film PENDULUM with Jean Seberg.

Oh and Tyrne Power vehicle ABANDON SHIP! that still packs a punch!

BillWatkins

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill
Originally Posted by Thomas T

BillWatkins, I guess you're not aware that Sirk's Shockproof is already out on DVD. It's part of the Sam Fuller Collection that came out a few weeks ago.
Thank you, I didn't know.

I also second (third?) Housekeeping.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
how about widescreen releases once again

MAC[COLOR= #ff0000]KENNA'S[/COLOR] GOLD
" PI[COLOR= #ff0000]CN[/COLOR]IC

" A[COLOR= #ff0000]NNI[/COLOR]E

etc....

It would be wonderful to [COLOR= #ff0000]get the whole picture not the full screen [/COLOR]pan & scan version

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Greg_M

how about widescreen releases once again

MAC[COLOR= #ff0000]KENNA'S[/COLOR] GOLD
" PI[COLOR= #ff0000]CN[/COLOR]IC

" A[COLOR= #ff0000]NNI[/COLOR]E

etc....

It would be wonderful to [COLOR= #ff0000]get the whole picture not the full screen [/COLOR]pan & scan version
I have widescreen DVD's of all three films.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
All the young men
paratrooper.

These are two of Alan Ladd's best war flicks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks