What's new

The Color HONEYMOONERS on DVD any time soon?? (1 Viewer)

John KB

Second Unit
Anybody hear anything? I believe Paul Brownstein owns the rights to these also. He's doing a terrific job with the Dick Van Dyke Show sets so I'm hoping there will be some news soon.

I believe there is about 49, or so, episodes in total, from 66"-1970
Since they've almost aired all of the episodes on the Goodtime Network this past year, I thought there would be some sort of mention soon.

JasonPW

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to see these since Directv doesn't carry that wee little networklet...what other treats am I missing?

I'd also like to see a DVD that gives us 3 or 4 complete "Jackie Gleason Show"s from the B&W era--they do exist!

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Jason, the Goodlife network shows all kinds of goodies. I don't know if all of these are on their current schedule but in addition to the color Honeymooners (which are in great shape) you can find Hawaiian Eye, 77 Sunset Strip, the New Dick Van Dyke show (Hope Lange version), Adventures of Superman, etc. They were even running Ozzie and Harriett for awhile.

The color Honeymooners are a hoot. Watching Ralph and Ed spontaneously break into song is a sight to behold.

Jackie Gleason put on some great shows over the years. I love Crazy Guggenheim, Joe the Bartender, Reggie Van Gleason, etc. A "best of" set similar to what was done for Mr. Carson would be ideal.

Steve

Mark To

Supporting Actor
As with any show containing a lot of music, the clearances are probably a nightmare. I wouldn't expect them any time soon. Personally, I really don't think they are all that good compared to the 1/2 hour classics.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Do they also run the reunion specials that ran around 1976-78 on CBS?

I've got a tape of one of them somewhere, it seems it was a Valentines special.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
I'd love to see the color episodes again, I remember them fondly. I also remember the black and white Jackie Gleason Show (I believe it was called "The American Scene Magazine"). I think that show was even better than the color ones. I hope they put those out on DVD as well.

Joseph Miller

Stunt Coordinator
The color musicals where the Kramdens and Nortons go to Europe were actually remakes of shows from the 1956-57 season.

If I remember correctly, Gleason never released anything from that last season of his original CBS series because they were musicals and many people (not ME, though) don't care for musicals.

So, before seeing them with MacRae and Kean, I'd like to see them with Meadows and Randolph!

I would also like to see some complete Jackie Gleason shows from the 1950s, with Reggie Van Gleason, the Poor Soul, etc. Variety doesn't seem to go over these days -- I don't know why.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

I didn't know this was the special reason to buy the Gleason set, I've been buying practically every classic TV show because of this reason, heheh. But yes, the Gleason set would be a great addition. As for reality shows, well, it's the main reason my TV is now used as a monitor to play my DVDs only and the tuner is never touched. My TV viewing consists of DVD classics, and DVD classics alone (Got rid of the cable) so I would definitely love to have the Jackie Gleason Show as a sweet addition. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks