The Colbert Report

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by David Galindo, Oct 18, 2005.

1. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

Anyone else watching? I loved the first show with Stone Phillips, and the second show was pretty good. That whole Sustrain/O'Reily/Cooper vibe is fantastic...but I wonder if it can last the entire season.

After being sick of the Daily Show for quite some time, its nice to get a bit of a change. [​IMG]

2. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

The bit with Stone Phillips and Colbert reading faux headlines with "gravitas" had me on the floor in tears. The horrible thing is that Stone will go back to "Dateline" and read that kind of copy for real!

3. David Galindo

"With one flare remaining and the day slipping into night, would Armondo be able to keep the coyotes away from his leg?"

"Mother Teresa would not respond to the charges."

Man, that was hilarious. [​IMG]

And the interview on Tuesday with the representitive was great as well.

"You put here that you joined a Fraternity to meet girls. I'm sorry to be the one that breaks this to you..."

4. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I thought it had its moments (mostly the stuff you guys have already mentioned), but there's certainly room for improvement.

5. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I liked it a lot but I'm not sure if the format can sustain itself for a very long time, especially on a daily basis.

6. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I thought it was okay. I'm still liking the Daily Show so that one is my preference.

7. Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen Screenwriter

I think the best part is the bulleted points that appear on the screen while Steve goes on long diatribes. My favorite last night was when he was talking about the drunk, rich prom kids riding in their stretch hummer and the screen said "How I roll."

8. David Galindo

The Word is very funny, and I thought the "tip of the hat, wave of the finger" segment was great. [​IMG]

9. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

I watched the rerun of Tuesday's episode. Definitly has its moments, but it does get a little wearing to have Colbert and just Colbert for 30 minutes. I'm sure they will do some adjusting as time goes on.

It was funny watching the Daily Show beforehand, having O'Reilly refering to "the french guy". [​IMG]

Jason

10. Mike Brogan

Mike Brogan Second Unit

I saw the last two at their 8:00 repeats. The Stone Phillips "Gravitas" showdown was really funny. And the whole look of the show with it's 'Faux-Fox' news look is dead on. I also like how he doesn't bring the guests out but runs over to them and makes it all about him.
    His off the cuff "welcome to my R-hole" to Leslie Stahl was hilarious. Good show.

11. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Supporting Actor

I did enjoy the first episode, loved the HUGE opening, thought the show could have been a bit better, but I am quite happy to give it a bit of time, because it was still entertaining.

I do hope he turns up on the daily show to do This Week in God, I loved that segment.

12. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

Alas, that is not to be the case. Rob Cordrey now has that gig. Last night was his first crack at it. I'll be watching the repeat tonight to see how he fared.

13. Stephen Heath

Stephen Heath Stunt Coordinator

Don't miss it, it was really worth watching. One bit of photoshop deviltry in particular had me spitting out my drink laughing [​IMG]

14. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I like the show, but I agree that it might not be able to hold up too well if it doesn't get into a groove. It seems too much like a second half of the Daily Show...which I guess is good, but it might not be enough to keep the show on the air.

While I like the Daily Show, an hours worth is just too much.

Actually, they are so similar, I forget if this was on Colbert of the DS...was is Colbert who did the report on Alabama? LOL - I loved the guy who said it would be better if they had more kinds of beer. And the 'dry' Oktoberfest? [​IMG]

15. GeorgePaul

GeorgePaul Second Unit

Speaking of "This Week in God," I would LOVE to find out who that guy is who does the "beep-boop-boop-beep-boop-boop" sounds for the religious 'icons' flying past on the screen behind Corddry.

I know it's an effect that's been on the Daily Show for a couple years now, but it doesn't sound computer-generated at all...more like a guy trying to sound like a computer.

Actually, it sounds like a guy who watched too many episodes of "The Joker's Wild" and "Tic Tac Dough" growing up and now can only get work being the Michael Winslow of game-show noises. [​IMG]

16. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Back when Colbert did it, you could see his Adam's apple move with each "boop" so I'm pretty sure he was doing them live. They probably are using a recording of one of his for Cordrey's segment.

17. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

The boop-be-boop guy is Jon. I think Stephen should have taken This Week In God with him. I think it will get better when they find their footing. I've never thought a half hour was enough for the Daily Show.

18. David Galindo

After watching today's episode, I think The Word is the funniest segment in the show. Reminds me of the Kevin Nealon bits on Weekend Update, where he quickly mutters under his breath what he really means. [​IMG]

19. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Supporting Actor

Yeah I got home and of course the latest ep had Rob doing it, he was ok, give him some time to get used to it, but it really was one of the Stephen's signature bits.

The Word, is definately the strongest piece of the show so far.

20. Robin_B

Robin_B Stunt Coordinator

I'm still up in the air about this show. It's usually a mistake when they take something/someone that is a small part of one show and turn it/them into a full show. Stephen was hilarious on The Daily Show but a full half hour? I don't know. The Daily Show although presented by Jon is broken up with segments by the others contributors like Rob Cordry etc so it's not 30 minutes of one person, and they're going to have to do the same with The Cobert Report or it won't last.

I thought The Word segment is a spoof of O'Reilly's Talking Points Memo at the start of his show.

and the The Week In God "beep-boop-boop-beep-boop-boop" sounds more like Colbert himself, to my ears anyway.