What's new

The Coen Brothers (1 Viewer)

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Coen Bros.jpg

So, they really deserve their own thread as they are a couple of our greatest living filmmakers. What caused me to start this thread though was stumbling across this recently posted interview with them on youtube. Guillermo is about the best person in the world that could have conducted this interview and it is a great one. So enjoy this first...

Then let's have a freewheeling all over the map chat about the Coens, what you love, hate, your favorites, least favorites, what makes them great, or what you really don't like about them.

Last edited:

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Also that is an awesome picture that now stands at the top of this thread of the two brothers in black and white, is that self generating or did a moderator add that?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Miller's Crossing. Yep. A lot to choose from, but that's just... I don't know... Awesome. I consider it my #1 favorite.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For me, the best right now, at this moment, Denis Villeneuve.

Over the last 30 years, it has to be the Coens.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'd say that P.T. Anderson or David Fincher are among the best directors currently working but they don't have the quantity or the length of time that the Coens have been doing it on a master level. In my opinion, the one current person who has it over the Coens is Martin Scorsese.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Inside Llewyn Davis is their greatest movie and one of the best movies of this century.
Actually, that is one of the few Coen Brothers films that I did not care for. Otherwise, I am a big fan of their work.

I think Coen films are like Bond films -- rankings will vary wildly from person to person.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Actually, that is one of the few Coen Brothers films that I did not care for. Otherwise, I am a big fan of their work.
I've only seen it once, and didn't feel like I "got" it. I still bought the Criterion release, but haven't been motivated to give it a second viewing yet.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think Coen films are like Bond films -- rankings will vary wildly from person to person.
Definitely. I'd guess that many people would rank The Big Lebowski and Raising Arizona near the tops of their list but they'd be much lower in my ranking. Not that they're bad movies but I'm just not as in love with them as many fans are.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The Coens are amongst the most talented filmmakers that have ever lived IMO. Even their "bad" movies are better than most "good" movies. It's so hard to rate their filmography on a favorites scale, but for me The Big Lebowski is #1, followed closely by (in no particular order) No Country for Old Men, Fargo, Raising Arizona, True Grit and O Brother, Where Art Thou?. Their body of work is simply amazing.

dpippel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'd say that P.T. Anderson or David Fincher are among the best directors currently working but they don't have the quantity or the length of time that the Coens have been doing it on a master level. In my opinion, the one current person who has it over the Coens is Martin Scorsese.

David Fincher still works? ;)

dpippel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I was thinking...

When was his last movie? The Social Network?

Gone Girl in 2014 was the last film he directed, he was Executive Producer on The Girl in the Spider's Web in 2018, and he has a new film called Mank in post-production now.

dpippel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Not enough. :) He slowed down over the past few years but he directed episodes of Manhunter and I think Mank (a movie about Citizen Kane screenwriter Herman Mankiewicz) is scheduled for this year but who knows how that will work out.

He directed a couple episodes of House of Cards as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Psychopasta
Recent bookmarks