What's new

The Closer - New Kyra Sedgwick Series (1 Viewer)

Marie McC

Auditioning
For me this excellent new program is less about figuring out who done it than figuring out what she's up to when the Kyra Sedgewick character manipulates the suspect into confessing. I really enjoyed how tough and sarcastic she was in the first episode and how she handles the conflict surrounding her presence in this murder squad.

The food thing is not only unnecessary but completely unbelievable. No one could stuff themselves with candy and doughnuts all day and stay as tiny as she is!!! The semi-helpless constantly getting lost trick is also tiresome. No one could be as smart as she is and not be able to figure out a map.

Unless they ruin the show with too many dumb gimmicks or let it get too warm and fuzzy, The Closer will go on my TV show DVD wishlist.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I'm still enjoying the show but man I hate it when the writers are so sloppy that they make mistakes I wouldn't. In "The Butler Did it" the ADA tries to get Brenda to pressure the coroner to change the "cause of death" from suicide to murder. The cause of death was asphyxiation due to strangulation. The manner of death was initially ruled as "suicide" and was later changed to "homicide" (which probably should have been "murder", as both murder and suicide are sub-categories of "homicide".) The cause of death didn't change at all. :)

Regards,

Joe

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
That was a pretty predictable episode, in terms of who the killer was (unlike the previous episode which knocked my socks off). But the horrible Dutton children were the real focus of the show and I loved every minute of their interaction with Brenda and her gang (Julio!).

The best part of the episode, imho, was when Dennis caught on to who Brenda thought the killer was... Douglas Sills just nailed that moment. Plus, it was really great seeing him in something since the demise of The Scarlet Pimpernel.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
Time shifters -- heads up!

Looks like the season finale (September 5) will be 70 minutes. Here's the scoop:

http://tinyurl.com/a52kl

No mention yet as to whether the show will run 10 minutes over (as I suspect) or start 10 minutes early (which I doubt), so be sure and check your listings as the time approaches.

Zap2it shows the usual start times, but does indeed specify a running time of 70 minutes.

Season's over...I'm ready for the DVDs now, please... :)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Yep...the DVDs will be on my buy list.

Thanks for the heads up on the last episode. I will be sure to make sure we record the whole thing.

Parker

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Whatever Comcast uses (not Tivo) shows the extra ten minutes in the time for The Closer.

I hope we don't have to wait until next summer for the new season. I don't think there is a new or returning show that I would rather watch.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
TiVo's schedule has also picked up the extra time and my season pass is all set to record 1:10 without my having to do anything. :)

Joe

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
I've watched the entire season. I will definitely watch Season 2.

I've taken up saying "Thank You" like she does. I love that!

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I can't wait for the DVD. I look forward to curling up and watching the whole season again in a weekend. I like how she wound up gaining everyone in her squad's respect over the course of the season.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
The season finale really pissed me off :angry:. Captain Taylor has been screwing Brenda over all season and with his latest (and biggest) screw job he gets a freakin' promotion?!? Is there anyone watching this show that likes the character of Taylor or even thinks his antagonist is necessary? I wish the writers of this show would wise up and write that character out asap.

That said, the episode was fairly pedestrian by the show's twisty standards. The office politics sapped Brenda's laser focus to the episode's detriment. The best ep of the season, imho, remains Good Housekeeping followed by The Butler Did It.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I was expecting more out of the season finale since it was 10 minutes longer which it didn't really need to be. I did like how you could see that everyone in the office has come around to respecting her and what she can bring to a squad.

Parker

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Taylor adds a bit of reality to the situation. It makes the series more believable for me that someone who is as ... direct ... as she is wouldn't necessarily win everyone over, even if she's good at her job. Given that it was pretty obvious she'd eventually win over her team, Taylor represents those not won over. In my experience, being good at your job is only half the battle.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
Looks like it's time for another go-round of Season 1 -- Tuesdays at 10:00 PM (Eastern), on TNT...starting tonight (12/27).

I'm still waiting for the DVDs... :)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Linda:

You and my wife.

Looks like the season premiere is next Tuesday. It was good seeing the pilot episode again.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
Wow...I didn't realize it was the new season already...great! I just figured they were starting another round of some of Season 1.

Time to setup the recorder... It's had a good rest, but it's gonna be getting real busy with this, plus new MONK, new STARGATE SG-1, new STARGATE ATLANTIS, new 24...

How guickly things can turn from famine back into feast! :)

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Someone is definitely confused :). TNT is currently airing an encore of the first season and the second season won't premiere until this summer.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
David:

Ah..damn. I thought it was a new season. Sorry about that Linda.

At least Monk is starting back up again. I am getting really tired of all these reruns.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
No problem, Parker! I just figured I was confused... :)

As for the Monk reruns...I actually don't mind them, but, of course I'd rather have new first-run shows.

It's interesting that USA didn't follow their usual pattern during this latest Monk hiatus. In the past, they've introduced new series in Monk's timeslot (Peacemakers, Touching Evil) instead of showing endless Monk re-runs, but this time they just stuck with Monk. I wonder...do Monk re-runs have a better track record than those newer shows they tried?

And, yes -- surprise, surprise -- I'm watching the New Years Day Monk Marathon today. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks