What's new

The Closer - New Kyra Sedgwick Series (1 Viewer)

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I was generally impressed with the pilot and it was really nice of TNT to present it commercial free (sort of no-brainer though, considering it ran about 52 minutes). Kyra Sedgwick managed to make her character both fun, sensitive and tough, which isn't the easiest combo to pull off. I like the way she chose to insulate herself from those around her by using titles... not that anyone in the office is a big fan. I hope they move away from the Captain Taylor thing because by the end of the ep it was starting to get old. I was really hoping that the thing that Pope had to talk to him about was him being fired but TPTB never got back to it before the pilot was over.

The only problem I can see with the series is that the whole thing rests on Kyra's shoulders. Take away her character and there is nothing the least bit remarkable about the show, except maybe the caliber of talent in the supporting ranks and on display as guest stars. It was great seeing G.W. Bailey (Mannequin) in something again.

It was really weird seeing Allison Smith in something other than the West Wing in a much different role.

For anyone that missed it, according to TNT's website the Pilot re-airs Tuesday, 6/14, at 11/10c.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
I've always felt that Kyra is vastly underrated as an actress, and I'm hoping this show will finally get her some of the recognition she so richly deserves.

Here's a good write-up about the show, with a bit of character background:

http://tinyurl.com/d44rk

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I didn't think the premiere's case was all that shocking, I figured it out from the initial crime scene visit in the first 10 minutes of the show.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

I did, too, or rather, I knew what the solution was almost immediately without figuring it out. It took me awhile to make an intelectual case and see how they clues actually fit, but I got that "aha" feeling during the initial walk-through. But I can see how the solution would be a surprise to someone who didn't tumble to the almost subliminal hints at the top of the show. I think it was one of those puzzles you either see through in an instant, looking past the misdirection to the card the magician's palming, or you don't. (I'm reading Malcolm Gladwell's Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking at the moment, and am therefore unnaturally aware of my own thought processes. :))

I'm liking the movie, and Kyra did look particularly good this week. I also think she's an underrated actress and a lot more appealing than more typical "glamour-puss" stars. Looking forward to next week.

Regards,

Joe

P.S.

I loved the letterhead. I've been wondering why they chose such a clunky name for the squad. Never made the connection.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

I'll confess to not seeing the solution coming.

I enjoyed the premiere well enough that I added it to my Tivo season pass though I haven't been particularly compelled to watch the second episode yet.

I did read a review (Entertainment Weekly perhaps?) that had some good criticisms on the handling of her character- in particular the "see I'm a real women because I have a weakness for sweets" shorthand. I thought Sedgewick's performance was damn good but I'm not convinced yet there is a whole lot of depth to the character.

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
I've watched the first episode and enjoyed it. I also figured out what was going on w/the case about 10 minutes into episode but watching her do her "thing" was fascinating enough to keep me interested. I recorded the 2nd episode but haven't had time to watch it yet. Probably will this weekend.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I watched the first two episodes. The Closer is a winner. Kyra is great. The Closer has a good mix of darama and a little sense of humor.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
Is anybody else still watching this show? I am, and it's definitely becoming a favorite.

For anybody not yet on board...three broadcasts per week...three chances to catch it:

Monday, 9:00 PM
Monday-->Tuesday, midnight
Tuesday, 11:00 PM

All times Eastern, all on TNT

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I've watched the first 5 episode, with last night's episode waiting to be viewed. I like Brenda, the character, more than the show itself, but in a summer of repeats, this is a decent diversion.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Last night's was good, except that they basically gave away the entire plot with the commercials/previews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrossAtlantic
Recent bookmarks