What's new

The close decision (1 Viewer)

Seth_R

Auditioning
Hi,

First off I would like to say "thanks" for having such an incredible resource of HT information available with just a few mouse clicks! I've been lurking around the forum for about two weeks, reading the FAQs and starter guides, in attempt to become as prepared as possible with my next HT purchase.

The current situation: I want to buy a new TV.

The specifics: RPTV, HD preferred, 16x9, 50" or less, for under $1800. I currently have a entry level, non-progressive scan DVD player, and a 5.1 audio system that can decode DTS and Dobly 5.1. My wife watches alot of TV (analog cable TV), while I tend to watch quite a few DVDs and play with the old Gamecube.

Below are my two contenders:

Toshiba 42HX82
Pros: Fantastic picture, excellent colors, transfers 4x3 content pretty well, great anti-glare and multiple viewing angle, and I believe this set has a higher point convergence then most other RPTVs. Hard to go wrong with a Toshiba.

Cons: Smaller screen than the JVC, more expensive than the JVC.

JVC AV-48WP30
Pros: More screen for the money. Good picture with average color (probably tweakable?), also transfers 4x3 content to 16x9 pretty well.

Cons: Converts everything to 1080i (I'm not really sure if this is a bad thing or not), not as good a picture as the Toshiba, and when viewing it from a wide angle, I really missed the Toshiba. This set also just has a 9 point convergence.

There we have it. I'm still debating the purchase, and any expertise you folks could provide on these sets (or others) would be fantastic. My wife and I are going to buy soon, and we're quite excited!

-Seth

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
If saving some $$$ is a big plus AND you don't care about DVI, you should give serious consideration to a Panny 47"--people have reported being able to haggle it down to maybe $1300(!) or so. Also, if you're gonna play lots of video games, I'd recommend going w/ a cheaper set so that the cost of any "burn in" will set you back less. Even if saving $$$ below your $1800 budget is not a real concern, you could spend the savings toward ISF calibration, which should make the Panny beat its "out-of-the-box" competition easily.

RE: the convergence issue, I don't know, but I suspect the JVC has fine convergence--maybe 64-pt like the Panny--in its service menu. However, the Toshiba's probably still more attractive in this area since IIRC it has auto convergence capability.

And don't judge the TVs based merely on viewing in a chain store. Go to a specialty shop that takes good care of their demos and properly calibrate them. Actually, if you saw the 42HDX82, then I guess you probably did go to a specialty shop.

_Man_

Seth_R

Auditioning
Man,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I'm always interested in finding a decent screen for the money. I will have a look at the 47" Panasonic this weekend if possible.

The other two sets aren't too far off price-wise. The 42HDX82 is on special for $1599 with the JVC going for $1499, if I remember correctly.

I should also clarify that $1800 is more my limit on the total package. This would include the TV, audio rack, component cables, and front speaker stands. So much to buy...

Tough decisions!

-Seth

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks