What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Vincente Minnelli’s wartime romance The Clock marked Judy Garland’s first (and only) straight dramatic film during her MGM tenure, and it’s a memorable one: a charmer about two innocents who fall in love in New York City over a couple of days.

The Clock (1945)

Released: 25 May 1945
Rated: Passed
Runtime: 90 min

Director: Vincente Minnelli, Fred Zinnemann
Genre: Drama, Romance

Cast: Judy Garland, Robert Walker, James Gleason
Writer(s): Robert Nathan, Joseph Schrank, Paul Gallico

Plot: In 1945, during a 48-hour leave, a soldier accidentally meets a girl at Pennsylvania Station and spends his leave with her, eventually falling in love with the lovely New Yorker.

IMDB rating: 7.4
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information

Studio:...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

roxy1927

Screenwriter
Real Name
vincent parisi
When I first saw this film I thought scenes were filmed in Penn Station. When I found out years later it was a set I was gobsmacked. Like how was that even possible?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
We are certain that Criterion is streaming the DVD scan?
WA doesn't allow any of their scans to be shown streaming wise unless its HBO Max and that's not as common place as it was when HBO Max launched. Furthermore, the TCM channel has limited access to such scans, especially when it comes to Blu-rays that haven't been released yet.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
We had never seen this film until today. What a charming, delightful and amusing work it is. Garland works her magic as always, and I swear I thought she was going to break into song a couple of times. The supporting actors do steal the show whenever they appear. Thanks to Warners for this. So appreciated.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
This one takes me back to WNYW 5 HOLLYWOOD'S FINEST in the winter of 1987 when I was introduced to Ziegfeld Follies, Girl Crazy, Love Finds Andy Hardy, and others in battered prints with awkward commercial interruptions. It was awesome. The Clock was a big one for me then, and it still is a film so technically superb in many ways. Everyone is really on point.
In 1988 TNT launched and we got fresh masters of all the films I had been watching on 5 and many, many more. It was a good time, as much of what they showed was not yet easily accessed on home video. The Clock showed up eventually on VHS and laser. It looked good for that time, and when DVD rolled around I awaited a fresh scan. When The Clock did hit DVD, like Presenting Lily Mars and others, there was no new master. And before you knew it, the Warner Archives appeared and all of those TNT masters now could be yours. On disc.

For some films you just crave better, right? This new Blu is pretty spectacular. We are just getting onto the milk truck, and I feel like a kid in my bedroom watching channel 5 in the middle of the night and seeing this for the first time. Such a beautiful film.
I peeked at For Me and My Gal and Ziegfeld Girl. WOW. They look great and sound solid. I never really anticipated having these three Blu-Rays.

What happened to the other fella? Is he dead?

cda1143

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
WA doesn't allow any of their scans to be shown streaming wise unless its HBO Max and that's not as common place as it was when HBO Max launched. Furthermore, the TCM channel has limited access to such scans, especially when it comes to Blu-rays that haven't been released yet.
Yes indeed. The scan Criterion is streaming is a very old one. Unwatchable even on 55".

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruavain
Recent bookmarks