What's new

The Clash on DVD.....'bout time (1 Viewer)

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
The Clash:Westway to the World ,Street Date: 04/09/02
Westway to the World is the only full, unexpurgated story of one of Rock music's legendary acts. The Clash were the band who made Punk real, they were the last great British Rock'n Roll band, they were the coolest, the most political, the most eclectic and most thrilling of the Punk bands. Blasting away from the parochial concerns of the London Punk scene of the late 1970's, the Clash explored and expanded musical boundaries like no act before, or since. For seven years they set the agenda for future generations of Rock bands. In 1981 the Clash played in front of a screaming, adoring full house at Shea Stadium as their fifth album (Combat Rock) stood in the Top 5 of the American charts. A little over a year later they were no more. Seven years living, touring and recording together without a break took its toll on the individuals involved and the band dissolved.
Features: Photo Gallery; Discography; Exclusive unseen interview footage; "Clash On Broadway" - Previously unseen U.S. footage from the band's personal collection, filmed in 1982 when The Clash went to New York. Their seven shows were oversold, and The Clash played .
;)
Now if they will only release Rude Boy

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I saw rude boy many years ago and remember it being not so hot...and I was a HUGE clash fan at the time

I believe they played at the Bond...on Broadway

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the update, Steve!

The documentary is about 2 years old and showed -- with little to no fanfare -- on VH1 in a cut version. I got a dub off Channel 4 from a friend who works in the BBC in the UK and it's a GREAT documentary.

I heard that Rude Boy came out on DVD in the UK with a bunch of extra Clash concert footage. I'd love to see that and the "This Is Video Clash" compilation (which I bought for a pretty penny on eBay) as well.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the experience, Mark. Now I'll have to preorder this.

BTW I have "This Is Video Clash" on LaserDisc and it's pretty darned good.

NP: King's X "Dogman"

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I just received my widescreen region 2 DVD of Rude Boy and it looks beautiful, way better than I ever dreamed. I heartily recommend everyone pick this up...I mean.. when you get a multi-region player.

PaulBoud

Agent
Haven't there been rumors of a reunion tour for a couple of years now? I only saw them after Mick left the band. Around the time of that horrible "cut the crap" album. Joe's cd from a couple of years ago was really good. I'm looking forward to him continueing to produce quality stuff.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
There are two reasons why I don't think you'll ever see a reunited Clash tour:

1.) Their relationship with Columbia/Sony is terrible. Joe Strummer literally didn't record anything for nearly a decade to get out of his contract. If they release anything or perform anywhere as "The Clash," theyre immediately enslaved to Sony.

2.) Topper Headon's heroin conviction in the UK has presented Visa problems for him to perform in the US.

Whatever happened to Mick Jones? Big Audio Dynamite was such a great band from 1985 through 1989 when he made the less-than-wise decision to dump most of the band and replace them with faceless British techno-pop musicians and create the woeful "B.A.D. II." Their lack of success -- and skill -- pretty much sank that band.

FYI, "Westway To The World" is directed by longtime Clash cohort and B.A.D. member Don Letts. It's been awhile since I've watched my tape, but for old-school Clash fans like me -- who like even the experimental parts of "Sandinista!" -- it's necessary viewing.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I think The Globe is one of the top 10 albums of the 90's. But then that means I also wonder "what happened too...?" but for different reasons I guess.
I freakin love The Clash though. They are in my personal top 5 right now (meaning bands that may not be best to everyone or most skilled, but that I most enjoy listening too).
Zep, Stones, Queen, ELO, Clash (Police and Beatles just missing)
I forgot Janie Jones was in Bringing Out the Dead till I watched it again the other day. What a great sequence.

DanaA

Screenwriter
This is great, awesome news. I just can't wait. A must have DVD!!! My day is now a little brighter.

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
Well I'm a very happy camper...........Digital Eyes shipped out my Clash DVD today :D
full report after I watch it

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Just watched the disc so I thought I'd revive this thread. Though it's too short and superficial - it really rushes through some topics - I thought Westway was a very entertaining look at the band's history. Again, it's not as complete as it should be, and it makes some notable omissions/misleading sentiments. For one, it gives the impression the Clash played Shea on their own in 1982 - they supported the Who - and it also totally ignores Cut the Crap; if you only knew the band from this program, you'd think they totally broke up after Jones left in 1984.

I also would have liked longer - dare I say, full-length - music clips. The program provides only snippets of different songs. If you're looking for lots of good performance footage, this ain't the place.

Nonetheless, it's very entertaining and informative. My full review won't go online until next week; I'm off to see Paul McCartney out of town for the next couple of days, so I won't get anything done until the weekend. But I rather enjoyed Westway - it's a solid piece of work...

PaulBoud

Agent
A great DVD. The whole Shea stadium thing was handled wrong and they should of gone more into the controversy at the US festival. Overall this is a must have for the fans of "the only rock and roll band that matters".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks