The City of Lost Children

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tyler T, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Tyler T

Tyler T Stunt Coordinator

Is this film good? I've heard it is very Terry Gilliam-ish and saw a trailer once on the old Monty Python and The Holy Grail DVD, which featured a quote from Mr. Gilliam himself about the film at the beginning.

2. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

I liked it. I originally saw it in LA around when it came out. Very visual and highly inventive. I would say give it a rent if you like Gilliam films. There are some truly cool visual moments in the film. I really don't remember too much about the story. I guess I'll have to watch this one again. [​IMG]
    BTW, One of the film's directors was the director for Alien Ressurection. When I first heard that, I was syked for a fourth alien film. Unfortunately, the script sucked.

3. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    Dwayne stated it rather nicely. City of Lost Children features some fantastic visuals and odd worlds rivaled only by a Terry Gilliam film.

The plot involves a scientist who can't dream so he steals the dreams of children. It almost has a similar premise to Dark City.

Give it a rent! I should probably watch it again as well. I saw it about 5 or 6 years ago.

4. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Tyler, City of Lost Children is a terrific little flick! It's both visually striking and imaginative. This is one movie that requires multiple viewings as the detailing is so rich. The dense plot does make it a bit hard to get into at first, but once you figure out what's going on, you can just sit back and absorb the visuals.

5. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

I bought the LD and then the DVD. Only a few favorite films appear in both formats in my collection. I have the DTS LD of Alien Shoplifter. When Amelie is released I'll buy it. And if Delicatessen (1991) ever shows up on DVD, likewise. I'm a fan.
    Jim

6. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Jim,

I am right there with you on that Delicatessen DVD!!! Amelie too!

Tyler,

I feel this a film that must be in anyone's DVD collection, but it now!

7. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Its excellent-highly recommended.

8. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

One of the members here, and I don't remember who, has the cover arts of Brazil, Time Bandit and City of Lost Children as his signiture. As I have not seen City of Lost Children but love both Brazil and Time Bandit, I am still waiting for this member to "weight in".

9. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    Steve, that's Damien Montanile. [​IMG]

10. Damien Montanile

Damien Montanile Stunt Coordinator

Geez Im a moron for not grabbing this sooner! ACK! Wow I feel needed [​IMG] hehe j/k
    This film may not be for everyone, please keep in mind it is in french (this might bug certain people not into reading constant subtitles). While it is subtitled and dubbed in English. I watch the original soundtrack as the was meant to be experienced in.
    The Movie stars Ron Perlman (many of you will remember him from Enemy at the Gates as Koulikov, the guy with the silver teeth )and a little child who are out to "save a boy"(so to speak) from a very macabre mad scientist. The plot is more involved, but I think you should go in blind for more suspense and surprise element of situations and characters. (youll see what I mean [​IMG])
    -the DVD sports the following:
    -Digital Remastered Audio and Anamorphic 1.85:1 print
    -commentary by jeunet and Perlman
    -Costume design gallery (VERY COOL)
    -Original French 2-channel surround
    -english 2-channel surround
    -English French and Spanish Subtitles
    -trailer
    This movie is definitly the epitome of weird and imaginative. I see genius in it. You'll enjoy the crazy visuals (definite eyecandy)and interesting storyline.
    A must for anyone who is a fan of jean-pierre-jeunet and Terry Gilliam type fantasy and weirdness.
    Let me know what you think
    -D