The City of Lost Children

Discussion in 'DVD' started by BertFalasco, Aug 12, 2003.

1. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Supporting Actor

This film/DVD worth a blind purchase?

I took note that Jean-Pierre (Amelie) directed it and perhaps it might be just enough justification to pick it up.

Thanks for any input.

-Bert

2. Jack Theakston

Jack Theakston Supporting Actor

Jack Theakston
    It's a very strange film, but worth the watch. I'm sure if you don't like it, there are various people who will buy it off of you or you could always return it.

3. WillKTaylor

WillKTaylor Stunt Coordinator

Depends on your usual taste. Too bad you don't have an online collection site linked.

Anyway, it's like Jeunet's other works as far as set design (feel) influence, character developement (immersive) and quirkyiness. Imagine a drama/dark comedy/sci-fi combination that really sticks. The story moves along very well, plot line is solid and this is really a film that evelopes you - or doesn't. I think this definately would be a rental consideration first, but then again .. it was a blinder for me, and I ended up seeing so much that I loved about it. But, IMHO this is a hit or miss film.

Lastly, it borderlines Terry Gilliamishness .. heh .. (word invention - I love it). Very inventive, technically, with highly imaginative set props. So, if you like Jeunet and are familiar with Gilliam's work, definately rent it. Otherwise, heck .. why not buy it? Chalk one [​IMG] for me ...

Regards

4. BertFalasco

5. WillKTaylor

WillKTaylor Stunt Coordinator

Why not the other way around?

Good deal, I think I'll pick it up.

I had a DVD library online, it got facked though.

Thanks

-Bert

Sure thing.

What I meant to get across is, "definate" in you damn well better at least rent the movie if anything else. [​IMG] See it!! Rather, I would consider this a film more so than just a movie .. but that's for another thread. It's a fun little story that is not run o' the mill by any means. Unusual could be another key adverb, but not necessary in a bad way. Just depends on the taste.

Regards

6. Juan M. Rico

Juan M. Rico Stunt Coordinator

This movie was my favorite movie ever, until Amelie came!

Buy it! If you don't like it, I will buy it from you, and have a second copy.

Besides, the special features are better than advertised on the cover: There is a commentary by director JPJ and actor Ron Perlman.

J

7. Richard Michael Clark

Richard Michael Clark Second Unit

Juan, the commentary is listed on the back cover.

8. Tony Mirra

Tony Mirra Stunt Coordinator

One of my all-time favorite films. Very imaginative and thoughtful. The Gillam comparison is apt, but I also see elements of David Lynch.

9. BertFalasco

Well, I found a loophole in Circuit City's policies (exchanged an open Warcraft III, came back the next day and returned the unopened copy and got store credit) and I owe friend a DVD so I'll pick his DVD up and this.

Thanks fellas, appreciated.

-Bert

10. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Bert, this is one my all-time favorite films. I rarely recommend it though. I would try a rental first. The kinship of Jeunet and Gilliam has always been common knowledge. To dive deeper into the framework of these two quirks we must first acknowledge the work of Marcel Carné. Rental or purchase, don't miss it.

11. JeffMuller

JeffMuller Stunt Coordinator

I thought of Gilliam the whole time I was watching this.

Sort of a cross between Brazil, 12 Monkees and Amelie.

I really dug it.

12. BertFalasco

After a day of errands, I cruised over to CC with a friend (in his luscious S2000) to go pick out DVDs.

So I rush in, say hi to a few friends, check up on some video games, and then to the DVD section.

[Prior to going to CC, I checked the site to see if it was a DVD acknowledged by CC, it is]

Not there, asked a nice clerk, not on record. I cruise around, see all this anime, so I figure I'll just pick up Ghost In The Shell, not there. Finally, I am just like, I'll take R rated House of 1k Corpses, all copies sold out within hours yesterday. I just grabbed Full Metal Jacket and paid for it along with friend's DVDs and "bounced."

In time fellas, in time...

-Bert

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I thought it was a bit on the bizarre side of things, so I would recommend it as a rental as well if you are a fan of the director, Jeunet.

14. BertFalasco

Damn, I didn't even notice I picked up full screen FMJ.

Will Circuit City permit to exchange for WS version?

-Bert

15. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Bert - There is no WS version. The 1.33:1 release of Full Metal Jacket is the director approved version.

- Walter.

16. BertFalasco

Aside, wow. Very good movie. "Animal" played Shao Kahn in Mortal Kombat and was in The Patriot [guy hesitant to set church on fire], didn't know he was in this, or potentially older.

I have an interview with Suncoast tomorrow, so I'll check for The City of Lost Children there.

Also, I have seen companies re-release titles in another ratio, regardless of approval (moreso, when the director is dead)?

-Bert

17. Juan M. Rico

Juan M. Rico Stunt Coordinator

18. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter