What's new

The Circle (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Interesting core concept that never fully develops, veers wildy, wildly off track in the middle.. and the ending makes absolutely no sense given the structure of the rest of the film.

This is a film that wants to take on a big issue, and the end conclusion is exactly the reverse of the conclusion you'd expect, given the setup and it doesn't work.

C-, as Emma Watson is pretty good in this, but the rest is pretty terrible.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Hmmm... I guess I'm not as harsh as you on this. However, being an IT guy this has been a debated topic for quite awhile. I would give it a "B". Conceptually if Facebook and Apple merged this could be a path. The points it makes are very powerful. Everyone wants full transparency of our government, etc but do you really would you want full transparency of your life?

I thought Emma Watson was ok, I think others would have been better in the role.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I saw this last Thursday, I liked it better than most. I'd give it about a 6.5 out of 10. Performances was good but the script was lacking.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I would have been better outside of the end; which seemed to re-inforce the "well, the circle was right, everyone will be transparent now" which I thought ran against the entire concept of two characters and the plot all the way through the rest of the film

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I think you messed the point, by making the two leaders transparent (against their will) destroyed the circle. The company would not have survived the "secrets" being released. That is why they said "now they are f@#%ed".

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I saw this last weekend. I thought it was ok.

I was frustrated by the lack of opposition during the buildup. However I understood that was the story they were telling.

I thought the resolution fit (I agree with DavidMiller's take).

In hindsight (and this goes against my normal outlook) I think it might have been better if Emma's character didn't come back to the good side, but actually became even more villainous. If she became the face of the new Circle. She is "Big Sister"

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I think you messed the point, by making the two leaders transparent (against their will) destroyed the circle. The company would not have survived the "secrets" being released. That is why they said "now they are f@#%ed".

I thought that.. and then the next scene..

was her on a boat with all those drones around her video taping her, etc. and I thought: I guess I was totally wrong

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I thought that.. and then the next scene..

was her on a boat with all those drones around her video taping her, etc. and I thought: I guess I was totally wrong

My guess...
She was addicted to the transparency, to go with the evil model so she kept doing it. It is just like these people out on Youtube filming their whole lives. That is my thought at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda19798888
Recent bookmarks