What's new

The Chronicles of Riddick (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
The teaser trailer is finally up.

I for one thought Pitch Black was a great piece of underrated, B-rate sci-fi and have been looking forward to the prequels (correction, sequels) covering the story of Riddick (Vin Diesel's character). The trailer looks promising. Hopefully they can deliver.

edit: Didn't realize that they went the sequel route. I had always read that they were going to be prequels.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I much preferred the teaser audio and images on the pitch black website. The opening narration of this teaser is the same, but it's been emptied of everything that made it interesting. Right now this looks like a grade D actionersci-fi and I'm sure many people will look at it and think Star Trek rip off.

however the stuff on the Pitch Black website was good enough to give me hope that this is not mindless, but is sci-fi with a depth as Pitch Black was. Right now I'm wondering what the heck is this. The teaser doesn't make clear that this is a prequel (granted not many people have heard of the original, but still...) and I assumed it was going to continue the story following Pitch Black and not be xXx in space.

so basically I'm excited because Pitch Black was so good, and the opening images on the teaser are wonderful. But the cheesy action images and startrek feel of the rest of the trailer really put me off the trailer. Now if only the rest of it was as good as those first two shots :)

Adam

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
I have no idea where you get Star freaking Trek from that teaser. If Star Trek looked as good as CoR does, I'd have gone to see Nemesis even with Berman's damned fingers in the pie.

Vin's a great guy and is fun to watch. Riddick is a good character for him that takes advantage of his physicality and his presence. I'm very happy to see the movie surrounding him will have enough of a budget to be able to actually create a world for Riddick to play in. Pitch Black would've been a failed movie without Riddick, and it's awesome they've taken the character out to feature in his own story.

Teaser looks good. Only real problem is there's not enough Riddick in it. Looking forward to a real trailer.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I also very much enjoyed Pitch Black. Very underrated. Even so called Vin fans say huh, when I asked them if they have seen it. Anyway, I can't wait for these movies, the trailers do look pretty good.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
These are prequels? I thought they were sequels following Riddick's redemption after 'Pitch Black.'

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Pitch Black was a little gem, one of my favorite B-films. This trailer didn't do much for me, but I'll be seeing the movie regardless. David Twohy has lots of skills, and I want to see them put to use.

Again, not much love for the teaser. But I still have faith.

Take care,
Chuck

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
The trailer definitely looked interesting. However, they seem to be turning Riddick from an anti-hero into a straight-up one. I'm not sure I like that.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I loved Pitch Black as well. But this, can't really see it being theater-worthy. I'll buy the DVD though.

Peace Out~:D

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit
Whoa! LOts of mixed emotions about that one. Dame Judi Dench = great. The fact that she chose to be in this movie = promising.

Prequel to Pitch Black? Huh? Why? After establishing some really creepy monsters in the movie can't we use them again? Or are the producers too afraid of repeating themselves?

Twohy makes interesting movies. I am gonna lean on the "looking forward to it" side.

More random thoughts keep popping into my head. The uniforms and effects are very Stargate SG1, which is good if you are a TV show and bad if you are a film. The massively repeated CGI monster thing is done. Unless you have WETA's Massive software forget it.

Leaning a little, oh so little to the positive.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The teaser doesn't make clear that this is a prequel (granted not many people have heard of the original, but still...) and I assumed it was going to continue the story following Pitch Black and not be xXx in space.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This film looks like it has nothing in common with the first film other than the character. It doesn't even look like it takes place in the same universe or time period of the first film. In fact, it looks like a DUNE clone.

The first one was SciFi/Horror. This thing looks like SciFi/Action similar to SOLDIER.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
Yes Edwin, and that's a good thing.

Riddick is a happening character, and it's good the sequel will focus on letting him cut loose.

Having said that, Pitch Black is a good flick for anyone into SciFi or even if you're only into Horror. Quite well done for non-stratospheric budget.

Sean*O

Second Unit
Saw the trailer for this on the big screen before ROTK last night. Looked great, and the audience seemed to be interested in it. When the sound went down after the trailer, you could hear several people in the theater making refrences to 'Pitch Black' with a somewhat eager & excited tone.

Good call on making this movie.

Rajj Nair

Stunt Coordinator
This was a cool movie, pretty dark and the color tones are different through the 1st half of the movie, moving from yellow to reddish brown to blue/green as the eclipse begins
Overall a must see on DVD, my only grouch was in the final fight when Riddick battles and kills 2 of the creatures, they dont show the fight at all. he just shows up, all beat up, implying that he had killed them somehow
and there are 2 versions of the DVD, a special edition and an unrated directors cut, I dont know exactly whats added on the unrated edition.
Rajj

MikeFR

Supporting Actor
I love pitch black, great movie, the only weakness is that it asks you to buy into one particular coincedence but if you can do that its great.

I have been looking forward to the Riddick movies for awhile but I think they have their work cut out for them. It could very easily suck, but hopefully they can match Pitch Black.

Too bad the chick from the first one had to die(although thats part of the reason why Pitch Black is so cool)

Shea

Stunt Coordinator
I'm definitely looking forward to this and hope it's well done. Loved Pitch Black! Just a flat cool movie in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks