The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by David Galindo, Jun 4, 2004.

1. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

Where did this game come from? After reading all the great reviews, I went and bought the game for $50 (something I dont usually do)...and love it. I have never played a finer first person shooter anywhere. Im only halfway through the game, and yet I can't wait to finish and start over again, just to complete some objectives I didnt do the first time.

The graphics...wow. Just plain amazing. The sound...fantastic soundtrack and 5.1 sound. The controls...like butter.

I wasnt really interested in this game before the reviews came out. But jeez- do yourself a favor, and BUY this game if you have an XBox. Halo 2 and Half-Life 2 have to do a LOT of work to compare to this game. Now thats saying something.

I still cant believe how great the game is so far. Its like finding a diamond in the rough.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/...ck/review.html
    http://xbox.ign.com/articles/519/519763p1.html

2. Dean Martin

Dean Martin Stunt Coordinator

Hmmmm, thx for the recommendation. I'm always up for a good FPS. Right now I'm playing Farcry and it keeps getting better as I go. Better than Halo in some ways.
    I'll try and give Riddick a try. I'm guessing having no experience with the movies doesn't really matter for the game right?

3. David Galindo

Right, since its a prequal to the other movies. It is kinda neat seeing how the elements of Pitch Black fall into play.

4. BrionL

BrionL Stunt Coordinator

I have to agree with David, this is the best FPS I've ever played. Everything is awesome about this game from the sound to the controls to the graphics. If you want one of the coolest games for the Xbox then run to the store and pick this one up.

Brion

5. Dean Martin

Best FPS...EVER? Hmmm, that makes it more tantalizing but yet I'm skeptical. those are big expectations to meet.

6. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    PC port in the near future?

7. David Galindo

Sorry, this is an XBox exclusive for the next year or so. But they have stated that they do not wish to port it to another platform.

8. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

It's really, really great. The mine level is a bit repetitive, but everything else is great. Best voice talent since Vice City, too (Vin Diesel, Ron Perlman, Michael Rooker, Dwight Schultz, etc.).

9. Dean Martin

David, your post here inspired me to leap from the Lion's head and just buy this game. I'm a sucker for FPS anyway so I don't need much arm twisting when it comes to those.

Now, I had a chance to play for about 30 minutes and from what I can see so far this is the type of game I am looking for. I really enjoyed Deus Ex invisible war and the Suffering and this game has a bit of both in it.

As for my early observations, the graphics are great, almost PC quality, a bit jagged but that's not unusual on larger widescreen sets.
    As far as the gameplay, it's taking a little to get acclimated to, only because there are so many various things to do such as with the stealth and the flashlight, and various take down moves.
    My only complaint I would have so far is the lack of being able to save at a point of your choice. With my busy schedule and a game style like this it's nice to not worry about repeating or playing until you find a save point. It's not detrimental to the game but I would have preferred it to checkpoints.
    Again, visually this game looks great. I can see your point to comparing with Halo 2 or Half Life 2. The visuals may be a bit of what Doom 3 may have in store.
    I'll return after I log some more hours.

Thx again for the recommendation.

10. David Galindo

Glad to hear it! While the game is a bit short, the incentive to find the rest of the cigs (as well as playing the game on hard) makes up for it. The lack of a save anywhere function is normal for a console shooter...which is why I didnt miss it too much.

11. KevinRB

KevinRB Stunt Coordinator

Normally I avoid movie licensed games, but this game has been getting a ton of buzz recently. Game Rankings gives it a 88%, while The Suffering had 82%.

Who developed this game?

12. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Starbreeze Studios (makers of Enclave, previously released on the Xbox) in conjunction with Tigon Studios (VIn Diesels' game studio) and Universal.

13. David Galindo

True, movie license games have been disasterous before (Enter the Matrix, Van Helsing and Terminator come to mind). But this is much, much different. The movie license is actually a plus here. Amazing. (The recent Bond game was also pretty good, BTW.)

I will definitely be watching these studios (Tigon and Starbreeze) closely now!

14. Dean Martin

Just to add a few more thoughts on this game, Sometimes the graphics seem like they are really good and sometimes they just seem muddy, dark and jagged like it needs more polish. In fact, I think had they taken just a bit more time with this game it could have been one of the more outstanding games on the XBOX. Not that it isn't good, it is but I'm not going to say that it is one of the best.
    In comparison, I found Deus EX Invisible War to be a better experience.

15. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Well I can see that nobody has posted about this game for a while so I will throw in my 2 cents. I just bought an XBOX a little over a week ago. I know, I am way behind the times. Other than NFL 2K5, Riddick has been the most addictive game I have played on it. I actually purchased this title completely blind. I usually at least do a one day rental to see if I will even like the game but everyone that has played it has had nothing but great things to say about it. I am so glad that I didn't waste the whole $1.50 on a rental. This game is so much fun. I love it. Graphics are amazing, controls are good the voice of all the characters are excellent. It's just an all around great game. I think that I am going to start over tonight with difficulty setting to medium. I am playing on easy right now. Anyway, if you like FPS games I would highly, highly recommend this game. It's great! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] out of [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. David Galindo

Wait till you play it on hard. One hit from a bullet takes off about 3 1/2 squares!

Its a fantastic game, indeed. Glad to hear you bought it [​IMG]