What's new

The Chronicles of Riddick: Director's Cut Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
Maybe there aren't many like me out there, but I really enjoyed COR, and thought it was not only a great expansion to the universe created in Pitch Black, but also an entertaining and even thoughtful genre movie in its own right.
With this being a great season for director's cut DVDs, it seems like a good time to start one for this movie, seeing as it's only about two weeks away.
That said, we know there will be seven minutes of new material incorporated into the film, and extra deleted scenes. It seems strange to me that Universal didn't go with a 2-disc set in this case, since it sounds like they've got plenty of bonus material included.
Is there any word on what sort of extra scenes we can expect in the Director's Cut? Of course, more violence, which in this case is warranted ... the tone of the movie just felt "R." I hope to find out a lot more about the Necromongers, just who they are and how they work. I have high hopes because I found the additions Twohy made to the director's cut of Pitch Black, though not much time-wise, added greatly to the flow and telling of the story.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Count me in as a fan of tCoR. While it wasn't perfect, it sure went for the gusto, had a great backstory and world-depth, and it struck as a film that the participants enjoyed making.

Only 7 minutes more? Hmm. Well, I will be getting the DC of this film, so hope the extras are good.

My biggest disappointment is that because of mediocre BO at best, we'll likely never see the rest of the story.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I enjoyed the movie, but it does suffer a bit from a lack of details. It will be interesting to see if the 7 minutes fill in some of the blanks. I suspect it will.

Jason

Oswald Pascual

Second Unit
Real Name
No Name
Loved how they used the Animated Film "Dark Fury" to tie the two movies together. I know its not the first time this was done, but I think its the first time it was done with the same actual actor. Will be picking this up for sure!

Ozzie

WarrenL

Stunt Coordinator
This is a must buy for me. Is it the perfect sequel...no but I still liked it and I think it will totally rock on a HT!.

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
Over at AICN, Harry Knowles gives a few details in his November DVD round-up. Of interest is that some of the new scenes are glimpses of Riddick's homeworld and his dreams.
However, he says there's a "slight hitch" whenever the movie cuts to a new scene. I don't like the sound of that. There's no reason for technical problems with the DVD since this is not a branching version, so hopefully this is an isolated problem on his disc.

EnricoE

Supporting Actor

that hitch has something to do with the negative editing similar to james cameron's the abyss, terminator 2 "hitch" problem ;)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I didn't think anyone still edited that way in the digital age.
It was hard to catch in T2. The neat thing is for the Extreme Edition they digitally re-created the missing frames.

Maybe there's just a hitch when it comes to music if nothing was scored for the extra bits. I could see that being a problem, especially in action scenes with graphic bits being thrown back in. That would suck.

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
HTF has the review up now! Sounds like the "shifts" are prevalent, though the review doesn't complain about them, so maybe it's no big deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks