What's new

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (1 Viewer)

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
That looks pretty good. Were Peter and Susan in the original book though (in the Narnia bit that is)? It's been 20+ years since I read it...

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Interesting trailer. It's amazing how much older that actress playing Lucy is. She sounds incredibly like the girl who played Susan now that her voice has changed.

Originally Posted by AlexF

That looks pretty good. Were Peter and Susan in the original book though (in the Narnia bit that is)? It's been 20+ years since I read it...

Nope, and they aren't in the movie either. The trailer is purposefully deceptive on that point.

Main characters by book:

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe: Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy Pevensie

Prince Caspian: Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy Pevensie

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader: Edmund and Lucy Pevensie, Eustace Scrubb

The Silver Chair: Eustace Scrubb and Jill Pole

The Horse and His Boy: Shasta; the Pevensie children cameo

The Magician's Nephew: Digory Kirke and Polly Plummer

The Last Battle: Eustace Scrubb and Jill Pole; Pevensie children as adults supporting

Arild

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

Nope, and they aren't in the movie either. The trailer is purposefully deceptive on that point.

Well, looks like they're at least in it for a little bit. I'm guessing cameo at the end. Trailer also shows the White Witch, who was not in the book at all.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
3D might be the worst thing to ever happen to fantasy filmmaking. It seems like every fantasy film going forward is going to have some stock, unimaginative shot where a character tosses something toward the camera. In "Alice in Wonderland" it is the Mad Hatter tossing fabric rolls and in this one it is a Wizard tossing a rug or scroll. The show looks promising, but I'm beginning to wish that 3D would go back in the closet.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Looking good. Kind of a marketing hoodwink to pull footage of Peter and Susan from Prince Caspian and put it in the trailer, but I don't care as long as the actual movie is good and it gets butts in the seats.

Same deal with the White Witch. Her cameo is probably entirely what we saw in the trailer, amongst the several dreams/nightmares of Dark Island before they turn course.

Arild

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway

Looking good. Kind of a marketing hoodwink to pull footage of Peter and Susan from Prince Caspian and put it in the trailer, but I don't care as long as the actual movie is good and it gets butts in the seats.

It's not from Prince Caspian. Pretty sure it's actually from the movie, but I have no idea what the context will be.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Looks a lot like B-roll shots from right before they return to Earth in Prince Caspian to me. But even if it's new footage I doubt it'll be Susan/Peter in the main story. Flashback to time on the Lonely Islands during their reign is most likely.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I think Anna Popplewell came back to shoot the mirror scene, but the shots at the end with all four in hero poses is probably b-roll from Caspian, like Brandon said.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
It could also be that the shots of Skandar and Georgie are new, but the shots of Anna and William are from unused shots in PC. The latter certainly look identical (age, hair) as they did two years ago.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Looks good. Still not keen on the score, and it's too bad the girl is getting a bit of a pig-nose, but, the painting scene looked great!

Arild

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Will_B

Looks good. Still not keen on the score, and it's too bad the girl is getting a bit of a pig-nose, but, the painting scene looked great!

What score are you referring to? The music in the trailer (which obviously won't be in the film) or the score in the first two movies?

Arild

Supporting Actor
New trailer.

Certainly a much better trailer than the first one, IMO, although as a lifelong fan of the book it's worrying to see this kind of drastic re-write of the basic plot.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thankfully, Hollywood is rewriting C. S. Lewis' lousy Narnia books to make them palatable to modern ADHD kids. Finally, someone brings some storytelling sensibility to the scribblings of that outdated, elite, academic hack.

Arild

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by DaveF

make them palatable to modern ADHD kids.

I wouldn't go quite that far before having seen the result, but yeah; it's a bit disheartening to see that the people in charge of these adaptions apparently have so little faith in the source material. One of the things that make the Narnia books the classics they are, is that each of them did something very different from the rest, making each book unique. And yet, now they seem to be doing their darndest to fit each story into the Hollywood cookie cutter. I like both of the first two movies quite a bit, but I'm starting to wish now that the series was being adapted by someone with the ambitions and guts to embrace the unconventional nature of the stories rather than treating it as an obstacle to overcome in the adaption process.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's hard to imagine how a movie that sets pretty much all of its Narnia scenes on board a boat can be considered more of the same. And while the trailers try very hard to suggest an epic overarching story, the footage showcases most of the episodic beats I remember from the book.

And nothing in the trailers screams drastic rewrite of the plot to me.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The core story the trailer is referencing is invented from whole cloth...unless I'm misremembering a major part of the book.

It could be like Coraline, where an entirely new character was created and major plotting changes made for the movie translation...but in doing so they preserved the spirit and themes of the book.

It could be like Bridge to Terabithia, where the trailer looked like "Harry Potter" ripoff ...while the actual film was a marvelous and faithful adaptation.

I fear it's more like Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy where the episodic beats, to borrow Adam's phrase, appear, but the whole of it is grossly missing the feel and heart of the book.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
My interpretation of the trailer as it relates to the book:

I believe that the green mist that looks like the White Witch is actually a manifestation of the Dark Island -- notice the eery lighting that surrounds the ship when the mist approaches -- and that the Dark Island is what is being mentioned when it's said that "It can steal the light from this world!" The rest of his speech seems cobbled together from an explanation of Caspian's quest to find the seven lost Lords of Narnia. Certainly there are seven swords in the shot he's talking over.
It's worth noting that this third Narnia movie was independently produced by Walden Media, the same company behind Bridge to Terebithia. Perhaps more importantly, the sense of magic and whimsy that was sorely missing from Prince Caspian is clearly evident here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks