What's new

The Chronicles of Narnia - April 4th confirmed (1 Viewer)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Seems to be pretty standard for a lot of the big fall/winter films this year. Jarhead, Kong, Rent, Brokeback Mountain, Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire are all coming out with about a four-month window.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Wow - that 2-disc art is great. Of course, I guessing we won't be getting it in r4.

But comparing the two versions, what is up with the different fonts? While the word "Narnia" is the same in both, the 1-disc art uses a very bland font for "The Chronicles of" and "TLTWAAW", while the 2-disc uses a much more elegant font.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Saw that too Matthew. Not sure why? BTW, I have a fetish for those awesome slip covers. ;) Narnia's 2 disc cover does look rather good.

David Brown Eyes

Second Unit
Narnia was released by Disney, there is no chance that we will get an EE edition like with LOTR, even though it sorely deserves one.

Dannie

Stunt Coordinator
i wonder if the audiobook will be a easter egg or special feature on the collectors edition?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Like many Disney-released titles of this magnitude, I expect that the SE set will be loaded with great features.

What worries me is the picture quality...so far live-action DVD titles have been severely over-filtered and lacking in detail. I saw this projected in 35mm at the theater and the level of detail and image clarity was superb...so if the dvd looks "soft" or mushy I KNOW it's not the film-source material.

I've got my fingers crossed in hope that they do a decent job.

I also hope that this title shows up on Blu-ray. It would be the PERFECT Blu-ray launch title!!!

Fred Mitchell

Stunt Coordinator
More than an EE I'm wishing for mucho supplements like the LOTR EE sets. Like docs on Lewis with some of his possible motivations and sources. Creating the deep environment and of course how they brought all the creatures to life. For the LOTR sets, that meant almost as much to me as the extra footage added. After watching all the extras I found myself getting MUCH more out of the movies which increased my addiction.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
You're right David, a recent viewing of National Treasure was less than spectacular. At times, it looked pretty good, and other times the haloing was VERY bothersome.

Anyone know the folks at Disney and can tell them to do it right. ;)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Yeah...my review of National Treasure was pretty scathing on the soft-image detail (had that "processed" look) and the edge-haloing. What gives?

I've actually started to believe that this is on purpose...to make the eventaul BD titles look more dramatically better than the DVD to show off a better "before and after" improvement with the new HD copies. Of course...I'll know for sure when we get some BD's in hand to put through the paces...

Jim Smith

Stunt Coordinator
This title was reportedly seen on the CES Blu-Ray wall. Of course since it wasn't announced or seen it could be up in the air.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
:laugh: :D :laugh:

OMG Juan...I when I got my email notifaction mentioning that quote about Narnia on BD I instantly started to DROOOL and ponder what extraneous body-parts I can sell to the medical industry to afford the new Pioneer Elite Blu-ray player...

Then I came to the thread and saw the rest of your post...

:emoji_thumbsup:

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I can't afford to be an early adopter to Blu Ray but at least if Disney does botch the transfer on the standard dvd, at least we can look forward to the blu-ray version in the near-near future. Of course, just like reg dvd, whose to say Disney will correct it's dvd authoring system if that is what it's called?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Tim,

I share your concerns.

I'm hoping that the (generally) poor image quality of Disney's live-action DVDs is actually on-purpose...that it's a ploy by the studio to "make the HD versions look noticably better than the DVD" by virtue that the DVDs have been dumbed-down.

I'm hoping this because it would at least help our chances that the HD versions will look good.

If it turns out that the poor DVD mastering we see so often is due to incompetence on the part of the studio, and that the same guys are put in charge of HD mastering...I can't be held responsible for what might happen...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks