What's new

The Cheviot the Stag and the Black Black Oil (1 Viewer)

Panamint Cinema

Insider
Real Name
Russell Cowe
Panamint CInema is pleased to announce that this classic of Scottish Theatre, produced in BBC Television's "Play for Today" in 1974 will be released on Blu-ray on March 27th and is now available to pre-order.

Written by John McGrath, founder member of the 7:84 Theatre Company (Scotland) the play tells in drama and song (a "ceilidh play") the history of the Highlands of Scotland from the fateful Battle of Culloden, through the infamous Highland Clearances, when sheep were deemed more profitable, to the Victorian obsession with stag hunting and the North Sea oil boom. Told with humour, traditional Gaelic song and cutting parodies, one is reminded that little has been learned from the mistakes of the past. The Clearances still go on as the Scottish Parliament's Land Reform Act is now causing tenant farmers, some whose families have farmed their land for generations, to be evicted - and without even the compensation promised by the Scottish Government.

Restored and transferred in 2K HD from original film elements held in the BBC Archives.

https://www.panamint.co.uk/the-cheviot-the-stag-and-the-black-black-oil-blu-ray

Russell Cowe, Panamint Cinema

Attachments

• BLU1013-3D.png
    BLU1013-3D.png
    738.6 KB · Views: 92

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
A relatively obscure title, to be sure, but having read up on it here and here, it sounds like a truly fascinating one and a must-buy for me. I sincerely hope it finds the broadest audience possible, especially north of the border.

Though I've lived through every iteration of the home video boom, for me these are its real golden years. Especially when it comes to price, quality and accessibility. For as long as there are so many wonderful niche labels willing to take a chance on releasing quality editions of rarities such as this, I have faith in the future of physical media.

Thanks Panamint and all your peers – keep up the great work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
C2evo22
Recent bookmarks