The Chaplin Collection vol. 2 - 3/2/04

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Patrick Mirza, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Supporting Actor

Just announced from Warner Bros and MK2 is The Chaplin Collection Vol. 2

This boxed set includes newly remastered versions of The Circus, City Lights, The Kid, A King In New York/A Woman of Paris, Monsieur Verdoux, The Chaplin Revue and the documentary feature Charlie: The Life and Art of Charles Chaplin.

All two-disc sets feature digitally remastered fullscreen transfers from restored vault elements under the supervision of the Chaplin family estate, along with remastered DD 5.1 and original mono tracks. The new releases will also feature plenty of bonus materials, including never-before-seen footage, behind-the-scenes glimpses and exclusive family home movie footage.

The Chaplin Revue is a 1959 recut compilation of the silent comedies "A Dog's Life," "Shoulder Arms" and "The Pilgrim" (including Chaplin-added music, narration, and connecting material).

The new two-hour documentary Charlie: The Life and Art of Charles Chaplin, directed by Richard Schickel and narrated by filmmaker Sydney Pollack, features interviews with a multitude of Chaplin admirers, including Woody Allen, Richard Attenborough, Johnny Depp, Robert Downey Jr, Milos Forman, Andrew Sarris, Marcel Marceau, and Martin Scorsese.

The Chaplin Collection Vol. 2 will be available on March 2nd with a retail of $99.92. The titles within the set will also be available individually (except for the documentary) with a retail of $29.98. Monsieur Verdoux will retail $24.98.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    Of course, the big question is will these be PAL to NTSC conversions? And The Chaplin Revue looks to be an R1 exclusive and not part of the R2 box sets.

---
    So many films, so little time...

3. Yancy Berns

Yancy Berns Extra

Great. I JUST bought the R2 version of this. So no documentary for me... But at least I can get the "Chaplin Revue" disc...

4. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

If this suffers from the same PAL speedup as vol. 1, then I'll just stick with the versions I currently have. If not, then I'd probably rebuy them.

5. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Groovy. [​IMG]

I know there were a few short films on the R2 releases (The Champion and My Boy, I believe). Any word on those being on the R1 releases?

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I hope The Chaplin Revue and The Kid will include the rest of the First National films.

7. Shane_Anthony

Shane_Anthony Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking forward to this set also. I baught Volume 1 and the transfers were oustanding [​IMG]

8. PaulP

PaulP Producer

I didn't get the first set, and now may get the two at the same time. Can anybody expand on the transfer issues. Some are saying that they're outstanding, and some are criticizing them. Also, browsing Amazon.com, there are so many Chaplin compliations, I wonder which are the best to get, to get the shorts and things. There is a large 12-disc set I believe. Is that any good, in terms of transfers? I'd love to have the definite complete Chaplin collection.

9. Shane_Anthony

Shane_Anthony Stunt Coordinator

Hi Paul,

Get Volume 1 same cover as the second one coming out in march they include:

Modern Times/Liemlight/The Gold Rush/The Great Dictator

PS The transfers look great!

10. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Yeah that's the one I meant. But I was wondering, since there are so many different collections of shorts, I was just wondering which are the best to go with, which are most comprehensive and have best transfers.

11. george kaplan

The first batch was just a PAL transfer, which means, for example, that the 87 minute film Modern Times plays in 83 minutes. In other words everything is sped up. One can argue about how noticeable it is, but it is unacceptable for me.

There was considerable debate about the quality of the images on the M2K dvds, but you can judge for yourself. Go here http://www.compare.dvdbeaver.com/, click on L and go to the Limelight review and scroll down for some interesting screen captures, then judge for yourself.

12. Brian PB

Brian PB Supporting Actor

I think if you want the best of Chaplin, I would suggest:

Features
    If you are All-Region and PAL/NTSC Compatible (particularly with a PAL-complatible display device), I recommend The Chaplin Collection: Complete Box Set (R2/PAL/UK). This will avoid the artifacts from the PAL to NTSC conversion done for the Region 1 sets (I am presuming that the second wave of R1 releases from Warner will have the same problems as the first). See this article, which explains the problem.
    Also, see the comparisons from DVD Beaver:
    Modern Times
    The Great Dictator
    Limelight

If you are confined to Region 1/NTSC equipment, some would argue that you should buy used copies of the Image Chaplin discs done by David Shepard (many people will be selling these off as the Warner/mk2 releases become available).

You might rent one of the Warner R1 releases & see if the conversion artifacts bother you. If not, then buy the two R1 box sets.

Shorts
    In 1914, Chaplin made about 35 1-2 reel shorts at the Keystone studio (under Mack Sennett), as well as the six-reeler, Tillie's Punctured Romance. I haven't seen a good collection of the Keystone work, though there may be one out there. Image has released the double-feature, Tillie's Punctured Romance/Mabel's Married Life (1914) (which I haven't seen).

Chaplin's career really began to take off after he left Keystone (and further developed the "Tramp" character). He made another 34 or so shorts between 1915 and 1923 for three different studios:

The Essanay Shorts (15 films; 1915-6): Buy the Image releases (three volumes) supervised by David Shepard.
    The Mutual Shorts (12 films; 1916-7): Again, buy the Image releases (in three volumes). Transfers by David Shepard
    Image offers a box set containing both of the above: Charlie Chaplin : Short Comedy Classics: The Complete Restored ESSANAY & MUTUAL Collection (with a bonus seventh disc, Chaplin's Goliath: In Search of Scotland's Forgotten Star, a documentary about the "heavy" in many of the Mutual shorts, Eric Campbell).

AVOID the cheap releases by Madacy, Delta, Koch, et al. Basically (for the shorts), if the name "David Shepard" isn't listed on the box, AVOID it. (Shepard is one of the foremost restoration experts and preservationists for silent film. His participation is always a sign of quality.)

The First National Shorts (7 films; 1918-23): the Image A First National Collection: Charles Chaplin is OOP, but is worth seeking out (it contains 6 of the 7 First National shorts. The seventh, A Dog's Life, only appears on Image's release of The Kid). I had originally read that Warner/mk2 would be restoring and releasing these films as well, but they aren't part of any of the boxsets they've released*. Some of Chaplin's finest work is here (including my personal favorite, The Pilgrim)--unfortunate that the Image disc is not currently in print.

*Correction--see next post

Someone better informed than I will no doubt correct the errors I'm sure I've made here, but those would be my recommendations. I have the R2 Complete Box Set & the Image "Short Comedy Classics", and couldn't be more pleased.

Edited w/ corrections.

13. Brian PB

Regarding the First National shorts:

A Dog's Life (1918; 3 reels*)
    Shoulder Arms (1918; 3 reels)
    Sunnyside (1919; 2 reels)
    A Day's Pleasure (1919; 2 reels)
    The Idle Class (1921; 2 reels)
    Pay Day (1922; 2 reels)
    The Pilgrim (1923; 4 reels)

*One reel of film lasts approximately 15 minutes, depending upon the playback speed

The September 2002 Press Release clearly states:

This sounds like a horrible decision to me. Why oh why did Chaplin have to muck around with his classic silent films in the 50s? (and why does his estate feel obliged to perpetuate these versions??)

Three questions:

1. Why release "The Chaplin Revue" instead of restoring all the First National shorts? (probably a decision of the Chaplin Estate)
    2. Why wasn't this included in the R2 (UK) "Complete" box set? (Rights issues?)
    3. Why leave out the other shorts? (Sunnyside, A Day's Pleasure, The Idle Class, Pay Day)??

Anyone?

Edited with corrections.

14. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Brian

Thanks for all the info and now I know what to buy and where.

Good to have a multi region player

[​IMG]

15. Derek_McL

Derek_McL Second Unit

The situation concerning the First Nationals really is weird. We aren't or don't appear to be getting any of them apart from The Kid in the UK. If the region 1 releases mirror the R2s then our friends across the pond are only getting those in the Chaplin Revue.

I'm wondering are there any further releases coming from the Chaplin estate because restored versions of these shorts do appear to be available.

Sky Cinema in the UK are showing all of them individually over the festive period and also would you believe there is a showing of The Chaplin Revue ! Why show them along with some features and some of the Chaplin Today docs if these aren't the latest restored versions ? Then not to include them on the DVD sets seems plainly ridiculous !

Then again some of the First Nationals never saw the light of day on VHS at least in the UK. The neglect of this period of Chaplin's career appears set to continue. Fortunately I'm lucky enough to have a DVD recorder so I can complete my Chaplin collection that way. For others it would be such a shame if you missed out on the four shorts Brian mentions aside from the fact that the others will be the 1959 revue versions. Will that disc have alternate versions etc like the silent Gold Rush ?

16. Brian PB

The 2-disc Warner/mk2 release of The Gold Rush contains both the original 1925 version and Chaplin's unfortunate 1942 version with narration (which is given top billing in the set).

17. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

For those interested in the upcoming release, here are the details I received today from WB. I have cut & pasted the info from their email attachment. Not sure if there is anything new here, info wise, but here it is.

Herb.

----------------------------------------------------------

Warner Home Video Announces

The Chaplin Collection:

Volume 2

The Kid, The Circus, City Lights, A King in New York, A Woman of Paris, Monsieur Verdoux

and Chaplin Revue Debut March 2

Richard Schickel's Oscar® Contender, the acclaimed documentary tribute, Charlie: The Life and Art of Charles Chaplin,

offered exclusively in Wave 2 boxed giftset

Burbank, Calif., December 16, 2003 -The second wave of titles in The Chaplin Collection -- The Kid, The Circus, City Lights, A King in New York and A Woman of Paris, Monsieur Verdoux and Chaplin Revue -- is being released on DVD March 2 from Warner Home Video (WHV) and MK2. These timeless masterpieces from one of the most influential artists in motion picture history round out the catalog offerings first released last July (The Gold Rush, The Great Dictator, Limelight and Modern Times.)

All films have again been digitally re-mastered from restored vault elements by the Parisian company, MK 2 under the supervision of the Chaplin family estate. The Kid, The Circus, City Lights, A King in New York and A Woman of Paris and Chaplin Revue, which are each deluxe two-disc sets, will be priced at $29.95 SRP. Monsieur Verdoux, a single disc, will be priced at $24.98 SRP.

The six titles will also be offered as a Chaplin Collection 12-disc gift set. Included is Charlie: The Life and Art of Charles Chaplin, the feature-length documentary which was a highlight of 2003's Cannes Film Festival and is currently a finalist for an Academy Award nomination as Best Documentary. Created by veteran Time Magazine movie critic and filmmaker Richard Schickel, Charlie: The Life and Art of Charles Chaplin is an extraordinary tribute which includes classic Chaplin comedy routines plus insightful interviews with Woody Allen, Martin Scorsese, Johnny Depp and Robert Downey. The documentary tribute will only be available as part of the gift set.

More About WHV's The Chaplin Collection DVDs

The Kid - As the opening title reads, this is "a comedy with a smile - and perhaps a tear." When a desperate mother abandons her baby, Chaplin's the Little Tramp discovers the child (wonderfully played by Jackie Coogan) and raises him as his own. But, five years later, the mother, who is now a famous opera singer, begins to search for the baby she left behind. Unwilling to give the little boy up, the Little Tramp attempts to evade all efforts to retrieve the kid.

Special Features include:

Introduction by David Robinson, Chaplin biographer
    "Chaplin Today: The Kid," Documentary by Alain Bergala
    "How to Make Movies (1918)" short film in which Chaplin shows the building of his new studio, and how movies are made there
    "Jackie Coogan Dances (1920)," Jackie Coogan performs impromptu dance at Chaplin studios
    "My Boy (1921)," later film starring Coogan
    "Nice and Friendly (1922)," home movie with Lord and Lady Mountbatten, Jackie Coogan and Charles Chaplin
    "Charlie on the Ocean (1921)," Newsreel footage of Chaplin's first trip back to Europe
    "Jackie Coogan in Paris," footage shot during charity fund-raising trip
    Deleted scenes: three scenes deleted by Chaplin for 1971 reissue
    "Recording the new score," footage of Chaplin conducting a section of his new score
    Photo gallery, film posters, trailers, The Chaplin Collection
    Soundtrack remastered in Dolby Digital 5.1 as well as Original Mono
    Interactive menus, scene access, subtitles in English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese, Thai and Korean
    The Circus - Chaplin's Little Tramp finds himself an accidental sensation when he is chased around the circus by police who mistake him for a pickpocket. In an effort to elude the police, the Tramp runs underneath the big top and thrills the audience with his efforts to escape his pursuers. Impressed by the audience's response, the circus ringmaster hires the Tramp on the spot, but later discovers that the Tramp cannot be funny on the spot. Desperate to keep the Tramp around, the ringmaster hires him as a janitor and places him onstage during showtime.

Introduction by David Robinson, Chaplin biographer
    "Chaplin Today: The Circus," documentary by Francois Ede
    Deleted 10-minute sequence
    "October 7-13, 1926," Outtakes from a week of shooting
    Three home movies from the archives of Lord Louis Mountbatten
    "The Hollywood Premiere (1928)," Reportage on the L.A. premiere
    "Camera A, Camera B," shots made simultaneously from the two cameras used
    3-D Test footage by Roland Totheroh
    Excerpts from "Circus Day" with Jackie Coogan -- an adaptation of a favorite children's book
    Interactive menus, scene access, subtitles in English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese, Thai and Korean
    City Lights - Released in 1931, this is widely considered to be Chaplin's best feature-length film. City Lights is both a wonderful comedy and a poignant love story in which Chaplin's Little Tramp falls in love with a blind flower girl, played by Virginia Cherrill. Chaplin produced, directed, edited, scored and starred in this timeless masterpiece.

Special features include:

Introduction by David Robinson, Chaplin biographer"
    "Chaplin Today: City Lights," Documentary by Serge Bromberg
    "The Champion (1915)," excerpt
    Georgia Hale screen test: "Gold Rush" actress who almost replaced Virginia Cherrill
    Rehearsal footage, outtakes, on-set footage of scene being shot
    Footage of Chaplin boxing with visiting prizefighters on the set
    Historical footage of Winston Churchill visit
    Footage shot on trip to Bali with brother Sydney
    "Chaplin Speaks!" Chaplin speaks for the first time on film during a 1931 trip to Vienna
    Photo gallery, films posters, trailers, The Chaplin Collection
    A King in New York and A Woman of Paris - These two classic Chaplin titles are combined on one double-disc. A King in New York (1957) tells the story of King Shandov, a man who leaves his country during a revolution and travels to New York in search of a new life. With little money, the king begins making television commercials and later befriends a child with communist parents. In the silent-era classic A Woman of Paris, Chaplin's frequent leading lady Edna Purviance stars as a young French woman believes she has been jilted by her fiancé and decides to travel to Paris alone. A year later, she is married to another man but is still in love with her old fiancé, who she meets again unexpectedly with disastrous results.

Disc One Special Features -- A King in New York

Introduction by David Robinson, discussing historical and cinematic context of film
    "Chaplin Today: A King in New York," Documentary by Jerome de Missolz
    Deleted scenes
    Mandolin Serenade: Rehearsing one of the film's main musical themes
    Photo gallery, film posters, trailers, Chaplin Collection
    Disc Two Special Features - A Woman of Paris

Introduction by David Robinson, discussing historical and cinematic context of film
    "Chaplin Today: A Woman in Paris," Documentary by Mathias Ledoux
    "Camille 1926," An amateur movie by Ralph Barton based on "La Dame aux Camelias" and featuring numerous personalities of the time
    "Paris in the '20s," Images of the city in the Roaring Twenties
    "United Artists," signing the contract creating UA: Chaplin, Mary Pickford, Douglas Fairbanks and D.W. Griffith
    Deleted Shots, photo gallery, film posters, trailers, The Chaplin Collection
    Chaplin Revue - Seven funny and touching classics made for First National Studios between 1918 and 1923 are presented on this double disc. A Day's Pleasure, Sunnyside, The Idle Class and Pay Day are presented on disc one, while three Chaplin silent comedies, A Dog's Life, Shoulder Arms and The Pilgrim, are strung together to form a single feature length film. Chaplin also provides new music, narration and a small amount of connecting material to the film.

Disc One Special Features:

Introduction by David Robinson
    "The Visitors," Behind-the-scenes footage of visitors to Chaplin's sets
    "Harry Lauder (1918)," Footage that Chaplin and the great British Music Hall comedian shot for an uncompleted short
    Photo gallery, film posters, The Chaplin Collection
    Disc Two Special Features:

"How to Make Movies (1918)," short film in which Chaplin shows the building of his new studio, and how movies are made there
    "The Bond (1918)," WWI propaganda film featuring Chaplin, his brother and Edna Purviance
    Shoulder Arms deleted scenes
    Photo gallery, film posters, the Chaplin Revue trailer
    Monsieur Verdoux - As a bluebeard, Monsieur Verdoux marries wealthy women and then kills them in an effort to get the money he needs for his family. His scheme works out until he meets two women with whom he has bad luck. Chaplin co-stars with famed comedienne Martha Raye.

"Chaplin Today: Monsieur Verdoux," Documentary by Bernard Eisenschitz
    Plan drawings and preparatory sketches
    Chaplin DVDs Spark Excellent Chaplin Events

1. Turner Classic Movies (TCM) feature Charlie Chaplin as the TCM "Star of the Month" in March. Kicking off the tribute on March 3rd will be the television premiere of Richard Schickel's documentary, which will be repeated several times later. Various Chaplin films will be aired regularly throughout the month. TCM will also promote the DVD releases as part of the monthly on-air interstitial "TCM Movie News," in the "Now Playing" guide, and on the TCM Web site (www.turnerclassicmovies.com), where the Chaplin films will be available for purchase.

2. UCLA will also be honoring Chaplin's work with a Film Retrospective beginning February 21. The film series will run over the course of five evenings and eight of Chaplin's films will be shown, accompanied by rare never-before-seen outtakes. The films scheduled include THE KID, A WOMAN OF PARIS, THE IDLE CLASS, THE CIRCUS, MONSIEUR VERDOUX, CITY LIGHTS, THE PILGRIM and A KING IN NEW YORK.

3. On Feb 13th through the 19th, Landmark's Sunshine Cinema in New York will play an exclusive theatrical engagement of Richard Schickel's documentary "Charlie: The Life and Art of Charles Chaplin."

4. In March the Los Angeles History Museum will present a special audio-visual display on Chaplin that will also include Chaplin's full costume from CITY LIGHTS as well as the overalls he wore in MODERN TIMES...not seen by the public in 40 years.

5. Harry N. Abrams has just published a new, definitive photographic overview of Chaplin's life and films, Chaplin: Genius of the Cinema by Jeffrey Vance, film historian and former Chaplin family archivist. The book draws on exhaustive research and interviews with those who knew Chaplin and was composed with full access to the Chaplin family archives. The book chronicles Chaplin's entire life story in 500 photographs, many of them rare and recently discovered.

The Chaplin Collection Volume 2

Street date: March 2

The Kid

$29.95 SRP

Rating: NR

Run Time: 50 minutes
    The Circus

$29.95 SRP

Rating: G

Run Time: 69 minutes

City Lights

$29.95 SRP

Rating: G

Run Time: 82 minutes
    A King in New York and A Woman of Paris

$29.95 SRP

Rating: King G; Woman NR

Run Times: 100 mins./78 mins.

Chaplin Revue

$29.95 SRP

Run Time: 214 minutes
    Monsieur Verdoux

$24.98 SRP

Run Time: 119 minutes

18. george kaplan

Well City Lights is an 87 minute movie and The Circus is 71 minutes, so it certainly appears that the same PAL speedup exists in this set. [​IMG]

No sale for me.

19. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

I don't have a particular problem with speedup (although I do notice it), but the first wave of releases weren't even good transfers by PAL-to-NTSC standards. I just ended up getting the UK releases, they look better on my lame $50 Cyberhome than the R1s. Lame, lame, lame.

20. Derek_McL

Derek_McL Second Unit

So all the First National shorts are on the Revue DVD ! The title then is completely misleading. The rest look the same as the already available R2s (I've got the complete boxset), probably PAL to NTSC transfers which makes the unavailability of the First National shorts in Region 2 even stranger. Another thing about the region 2s all the silent extras (shorts, cut footage etc) are totally silent without any musical accompaniement which is a pity, I wonder if the R1s will be same?