1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Champ (1979)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by The Drifter, Feb 15, 2020.

1. The Drifter

The Drifter Supporting Actor

Jim
    Recently watched The Champ for the first time on the DVD. Excellent film. Very sad/poignant, and realistic.

Jon Voight & Ricky Schroder really convinced me that they were actual father & son (in the film) - though I know they aren't in real life. Excellent casting here. Even though the Voight character was a drunk & a gambler, it was obvious he really loved his son & had his best interest(s) at heart. The scene towards the beginning when he won a lot of money gambling & came back for gifts for all of his friends was great; RS's expression when he realized his father hadn't forgotten him was priceless - great acting here.

In fact, "The Champ's" willing to go back into the ring (towards the end of the film) was primarily to make his son proud.

I also liked the Florida setting re: the ocean/beach, horse racing, etc.

The ending was extremely sad, but not at all unexpected. It is a lot more realistic to depict someone that gets constantly pummelled in a boxing match (especially repeated blows to the head) to die from his serious injuries, rather than coming back movie after movie....i.e. the Rocky film franchise. And note this is coming from a huge fan of the Rocky films.

This film is yet another example of why the '70's was the best decade for cinema.

2. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    I saw this film when it first came out but I've never seen it since. It was a remake of a 1930s movie.

3. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Fantastic film. Have seen it many times over but probably not in the last 20 years.

4. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    The 1931 version was directed by the great King Vidor. It featured a great performance by Jackie Cooper as the Kid, and a hammy one (unaccountably garnering an Oscar) from Wallace Beery as the father.