The challenge! Aesthetically pleasing/functional seperates under $1500 for all?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JeremyX, Dec 5, 2002.

1. JeremyX

JeremyX Stunt Coordinator

Hey all,

I was chastised for thinking about getting the new Sony ES DVD/Receiver.

So I am wondering if there is a combination of required seperates out there that not only look good, but perform well too.

The requirements:

* 100 watt per channel

* MP3 playback

* dvd-a or sacd (nice to have, not a must)

* must look like a fairly cohesive and attractive set of components

* components being; pre-amp, amp, dvd/cd player

* all under $1500 ... I don't think it can be done, prove me wrong.

thanks in advance.

2. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    althought you cant get actual 'separates' (separate preamp and amp), you can get a nice receiver + DVD player for a great price. this can be done at a better quality point than the Sony for around $700, so $1500 will be easy! [​IMG]
    receivers to look at:
    -H/K AVR525 ($750 street price)
    -Pioneer Elite '45TX ($~900 street)
    -Marantz SR-7300 (i think it's around $800)
    -Onkyo SR-800 (~$900 street)
    dont concern yourself with the power ratings since no two manufacturers rate theirs the same. know that any of these will be more than sufficient, although i would personally consider the H/K to be the most powerful.
    now for a DVD player. there's alot of nice units out there that can be had for ~$600, but here's a few to think about:
    -Pioneer Elite DV-45A (SACD and DVD-A, can be had for ~$600 locally)
    -Panasonic DVD-CP72K ($279 MSRP, DVD-A, no chroma bug)
    -the Panny RP91 would still be a great player (though a year old) - can be had for ~$350 used or ~$475 new
    -check out the Marantz line at your local dealer. they make excellent stuff as well.
    -the Sony ES line is actually decent in this field if you wanna go that way
    there ya go...any combo of these will beat the snot out of that sony combo unit. enjoy!

3. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

adcom is your best bet...on shopping.yahoo.com i found this:

adcom GTP-830 $895
    adcom GFA-7300 $565

That's 1460, if you can wiggle your way to $1,600, you can get yourself a progressive scan DVD player.

However, I should point out, that the adcom GFSA-7300 is only 60 watts per channel. However, I should also point out that the 60 watts per channel is probably more powerful than the 100 watts listing by a sony receiver. There are many different ways to rate power listing, and many manufacturers rate their amps under best conditions, some under average, and others under worst. I would believe adcom's ratings over sony's.

Also, Rotel has a 6x60 watt perchannel amp that you could probably get for around $600 that I would believe is rated very conservatively.

Rich

4. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

also, instead of the adcom GP-830, you could get an outlaw 950 which is $899 as well...

Rich

5. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Its hard to prove you wrong Jeremy. DVD+Pre+Amp all in an attractive package for $1500 or less! I am at a loss for words. Maybe of you go used it could be possible for the amp and preamp alone but you'll have to chip in more for the DVD player.

Used outlaw 950 with a parasound 855 + 2 marantz 500 monoblocks + one of the progressive scan players all for a little more than $1500 might be possible.