What's new

The center of the earth (1 Viewer)

Mark Brewer

Stunt Coordinator
Because it is surrounded by a crust of Silica, which sucked all the moisture out causing spontaneous uncontrollable conbustion which heats up the salsa......:D

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I'm no geology expert, but it has to do with the pressures of the material above it and the constant shifting masses.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Because there's a pound of feathers stuck in there.
:laugh:

It used to be hot all over, the surface cooled down, the center just never did :). It (the earth) will eventually become an inert piece of rock like the moon, though I have no idea how long that takes. Then the inhabitants of LA will have this huge celebration.

Now will someone who knows what the hell they're talking about comment already?

--
Holadem

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Its just the pressure of the rock above it. Increase pressure and you'll increase temperature.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
It is a combination of the pressure and the sun and moons gravitational pull on the core.

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
The earth was extrememly hot when it had just formed. The center is the only part that hasn't cooled off yet. It probably will cool down evantually but I can't see it happening anytime soon.

Edit: I should add that I made an 85% in grade 12 Geology, so don't debate what I say!:D

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
According to my geography knowledge (which i finally finished just a few weeks ago), the center of the earth is hot due to radioactive decay of radioactive materials (duh).

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Maybe there's no windows that can be opened?
There's no lake down there to jump in and cool off - it's all beach
MarkHastings' boss is down there.
It has no pores so it cannot sweat

and finally....

Cause they don't have air conditioning in Toronto?

ba-dum-bum!

(or for you americans out there, subsitute New York)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
ermmm.. ok we have 5 prevailing arguments:

1) Massive pressure of the rock above casues the core to be so hot.

2) Gravity from the sun and moon may be playing a role.

3) Earth was hot as sh*t when it was formed, the core will cool down soon enough.

4) There are radioactive materials down there causing things to heat up.

5) Something about feathers that I STILL don't get.

I think it's safe to choose the default answer which is...

BLAME CANADA!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
:D

OK, those who say that it's simply still hot there are right. It has nothing to do with pressure or radioactivity.
The earth was formed from debris of the sun (along with the other planets). The outside of our ball of gas cooled a bit more than the inside (by radiation). But don't forget that at the outside, where we live, it is still 273 degrees Kelvin. Not even close to zero.

Cees

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
It has nothing to do with pressure or radioactivity.
I beg to differ. It is true that the Earth started out hot as a result of its violent formation. But I believe that it's taking longer to cool because of heat contributed by radioactive decay. I don't know how much cooler it would be, however, if not for radioactive decay, but I've heard it said that Earth would have been solid, or close to it, by now if not for decaying elements.

When the Earth does finally solidify, what will happen to its magnetic field?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Brian,

:) Yes, right. When I wrote that sentence, I wondered if someone would call it too absolute a statement. But I tried to say that pressure or a radioactive process wasn't warming the earth up. You're right that it may contribute to a slower cooling down. I wouldn't know how much either.

Your second point is interesting too. I wouldn't know. Would the nickel-iron core stay in place? Perhaps the magnetic field would no longer rotate, but still be there.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks