The Ceiling Fan Must Go!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Colton, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

Hi, guys ...

Anyone have any suggestions on what I should replace a ceiling fan with in a dedicated HT? The ceiling fan is in the direct path between the projector and screen, so it needs to be pulled down. Would love to hear suggestions on what I could replace it with. A flush dome light?

- Colton

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    ?? Those don’t cool you off very well...

3. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

I just replaced mine with a dome style light from Home Depot. You shouldn't need to go with a flush mount light unless it is right at the projector.

I added an Smart Home dimmer switch and it helps ad to the mood of the theater.

4. Tony Loewen

Tony Loewen Stunt Coordinator

why do you have to replace it with anything? I took out a ceiling fan that was inbetween my projector and screen, and used the octogon box as a JB for a couple of recessed lights I put in on either side of where the fan was. Are you asking because the room/ceiling is finished and you don't want a big gaping hole in it? I believe you can get decorative blanking plates that would look alright. If you don't need anything there, just disconnect the wires, stick a couple of marrettes on the ends, and seal it up. (well, not sealed up I guess, you still need access to it if there are other connections in there, code rule, in Manitoba anyway)

5. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

Well, I don't want to have to take it down, but this one has four glass lamps that hang from the base.

Kinda like these:

http://images.overstock.com/f/102/31...ts/L916256.jpg

Maybe I could substitute it with a flush ceiling fan that has a light dome base. I'm just afraid that a ceiling fan with disrupt the projection. Anyone have experience with this?

- Colton

6. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    My ht is about 95% complete and in our room we have 2ea 52" flush mt fans, picked them up @ Lowes, don't need lights, have 4 recessed cans, don't see any problems with p/j viewing in my test run, made sure the fans themselves would not reflect (flat black) as We need the fans, it gets very hot/humid down here.

7. Jason-Mar

Jason-Mar Auditioning

On most fans you can remove the "light kit" and install a blank plate where the lights attached. This might give you enough room... Check it out.