What's new

The Cave Review (1 Viewer)

Dave Hackman

Stunt Coordinator
This movie is just good enough to be acceptable for a Sci-Fi channel viewing.

It’s not able to derive many scares from the unique surroundings within the cave and barely any from the un-unique creatures. There isn’t much ambition on display here other then to have you follow the team enter the cave, relies that they are not alone in the cave and for you to watch them attempt to get out of the cave alive. There weren’t many standout moments in terms of action or deaths.

At the same time, The Cave isn’t overly offending and watching it was bearable due to the awesome bass deployed during cave-ins. It literally shook the theater as did other explosions and pulse shots along the way. The creatures mainly sounded like dinosaurs from Jurassic Park but they had a cricket sound that flared up from time to time which became irritating. The overall pace is quite quick to ward off sleep.

The male actors who made up the crew deployed within the cave all looked too much alike and seemed in competition with one another. Dialog was weak and the characters never really did much for me to really care about their survival. The creature itself didn’t look very original and never established much personality. Video outside the cave had a weird look to it with poor motion and compression. Inside the Cave, it looked good. The ending sets up for a sequel.

C-

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
The pity is that there's a wonderful British horror film set in a cave that is far superior, in spite of a probably lower budget, to this one (I've seen both) called The Descent. Hopefully that one will be released in the States eventually and gain some more recognition. Actually, its interesting that there have been so few cave-set movies overall (I can't recall any) and now two come out in one year.

Regarding The Cave, I will say that it had some lovely underwater and cave scenes. And Cold Hauser and Eddie Cibrian were two of the least lookalike siblings I can recall. Also, the ending made me want to throw something at the screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks