The Cate Blanchett Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by SteveGon, Aug 31, 2003.

1. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

So is anyone else as captivated by this beguiling Aussie actress as I am?

Cate Blanchett has been acting for ten years and first garnered wide acclaim for her role in the 1998 film Elizabeth. Since then she's become one of our most respected actresses - her superlative thespian skills and commanding presence enliven even forgettable fare like Bandits and Pushing Tin.

Though arguably not possessed of traditional beauty, I find her lithe frame and regal bearing to be irresistible. Cast her in Armageddon 2 and I'd be there! [​IMG]

Cate's IMDB profile

2. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    I think she's a VERY classic beauty. She's got grace, poise, and a strong personality that I find extremely attractive.

We are not alone, as the cast commentary for FOTR was filled with awestruck voices by the boys when discussing Cate.

She is also a GREAT actress, and deserves this appreciation thread as much as any actress working today, if not more.

Incredible presence. I could believe she was Queen of England, or the Lady Galadriel herself, much less an atypical wild girl as she's also played.

Love her,
    Chuck

3. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

4. SteveGon

5. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

She's absolutely amazing in 'Heaven'. Be sure to check it out.

6. Chris Clark

Chris Clark Agent

Last semester, when it was whispered that a major motion picture was going to be shot in and around my college's studio, it wasn't the director, Ron Howard, or the star, Tommy Lee Jones, that got me excited.
    It was the fact that Cate Blanchett was going to be in it. The movie (on track for a late 2003 release) is The Missing , and I couldn't get an internship with the production.
    In fact, due to nonstop class schedule conflicts, the only brush I had with the entire production was helping in a brainstorming session with a teacher, attempting to come up with decent questions for a Q&A that was going to be held for Cate at a nearby theater (after a screening of Elizabeth, natch).

7. MikeRS

MikeRS Screenwriter

She's exquisite, an ethereal beauty, and a GREAT actress.

Her narration in FOTR's prologue still gives me shivers to this very day.

She was robbed of an Oscar for "Elizabeth". [​IMG]

8. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

9. SteveGon

Okay, once again here's my favorite Cate pic:

[​IMG]

Thanks to John Rice for hosting the pic. [​IMG]

10. Chuck Watwood

Chuck Watwood Stunt Coordinator

Cate is my favorite actress. I loved her in Heaven and the Lord of the Rings movies. She is talented, an incredible actress, and oh so sexy. I would propose in a minute. lol

11. Brendan Brown

Brendan Brown Stunt Coordinator

I just watched The Talented Mr. Ripley the other day and was taken aback at how completely different in poise and bearing she was in that movie as compared to, say, Lord of the Rings.

That's a mark of good acting.

12. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

I am looking forward to watching her in Veronica Guerin, the Joel Schumacher directed pic in which she looks particularly strong that is due out this Fall.

~Edwin

13. Mark McLeod

Mark McLeod Second Unit

14. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    Count me in.
    I love her and have always thought she was robbed the year she was nominated for Elizabeth.
    To say that Paltrow was better was a big joke but thats the Oscars for you. Not who deserves but who is more popular at the moment.

I am looking forward to her upcomng movies.

15. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

I'd have to agree with Don about "Heaven"... probably one of her best roles.

16. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

She's the best actress working in film today. While not as classically beautiful as others, her intellingence and charisma smoke all of them. For another example of her range, check out The Gift, which while far from a perfect movie, shows off her astonishing talent.

17. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Yep! Another big Cate fan here. I agree she was quite good in The Gift, though the movie leaves a bit to be desired. She does have some sort of intense sexuality to her, in addition to being an amazing actress. She knocked me flat in Elizabeth which, I think, was the first time I saw her.

Heaven is probably tied for my favorite film of 2002 with Chicago. Could there be two more different films?

18. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Great thread! (I was hoping to be the first to mention Cate's turn in The Gift. [​IMG] )

Another Blanchett film I absolutely love is An Ideal Husband.

You guys are dead-on acccurate with your assessments: clearly she's very talented, she has an air of old-school movie star "class", and she's very very...purty.

Hope you guys will stop in when I start my Zooey Deschanel Appreciation Thread. [​IMG]

19. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

The other day some friends and I were listing our top 5 living celebrity babes. I bewildered the room when Cate was number 2.

Heh, those fools.[​IMG]

20. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover

Amen!

Also, for me, the gift giving scene in the EE tops even that one. It's also a very powerful scene in it's own right but Cate's delivery, grace, and presence are hypnotic.