What's new

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
A veteran of the vaudeville stage, Bob Hope was one of the greatest American entertainers of the 20th century. His brilliant comedic timing often enlivened many radio programs, TV shows, movies, awards ceremonies and benefit shows for our troops serving overseas. Coming in early in his Hollywood career, The Cat and the Canary gave him a plum showcase for his comedic talents. Previously released on DVD by Universal, Kino has given the movie its Blu-ray debut.

The Cat and the Canary (1939)

Released: 10 Nov 1939
Rated: Approved
Runtime: 72 min

Director: Elliott Nugent
Genre: Comedy, Horror, Mystery, Thriller

Cast: Bob Hope, Paulette Goddard, John Beal, Douglass Montgomery
Writer(s): Walter DeLeon (screenplay), Lynn Starling (screenplay), John Willard (based on the stage play by)

Plot: When an eccentric family...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Thanks for the review, i received mine a couple of days ago. Great film as everyone knows, one of Bob's best. Also stars the wonderful George Zucco and Gale Sondergaard. The three of them also star in the even better My Favorite Blonde. Where's the blu ray Kino?
It *should* be coming. I think they have three more Bob Hope films from their second deal with Universal, of which it is assumed that My Favorite Blonde is one of them. There was talk of them being released as a box set by the Insider at one point. I think it was stated that one of the three had a new transfer from within the last few years, and the other two would be getting new remasters for the upcoming Blu-ray release, which is probably what is holding it back as yet. So, just be patient. It should be worth the wait, I hope (and yes, pun intended)!

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Watched these films for the very first time with these K L blus. Ready to see them again. Excellent fun, great transfers.
I am old enough to have seen the MCA package when it was bought by a major TV network in my country. School vacations meant Noon movies on that network and over to the other major then(both still going strong) for two Warner-First National films each weekday. We were spoilt all in front of a 17" TV, the most popular size then. Funnily enough, few depression era(1929-31) titles were shown. Same applied to the MGM catalogue too when that came our way. There is at least one Joe E Brown First National feature not on DVD today, Six Day Bike Rider. Some time ago George F stated that it needed a lot of restoration still but at least one other one with nitrate damage I asked about has since but it was a long wait but in that case there had been an NTSC VHS issued previously with all the damage on show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks