The case against BOSE.

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by JamesCB, Aug 26, 2004.

1. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

I know, I know. We get sick of these Bose threads. But, I found a review that seems very concise and interesting.

link

From a year ago and lengthy, but some good reading.

James

2. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

Some of my favorites from the article:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Good reading! Thanks for the link James.

3. Charlie C

Charlie C Stunt Coordinator

Phillip, what say we go into the new BOSE store in Cherry Creek and f*** with them for a while. Im willing to bring my setup and see what they think... :0

4. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

It's actually already linked in the basics section of the forum, primer for new members, under "Isn't Bose the best?" There's a link in there. I know this because I am a newbie! [​IMG] I would've posted a link, but I am so new, the forum rules prohibit it. Nonetheless, it is good proof of what we all hear.

5. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

The best line to use, is when people say, "I heard Bose was good" - just ask from whom they heard it.

If Car & Driver says the new Mustang is good, it probably is. If the Mustang add in Popular Science says its good, I might want a second opinion.

6. lnguyen

lnguyen Auditioning

I just talked to my coworker two day ago. He had the Bose lifestyle and swear on his mother to his system is best. I show him some link but he refused to believe it and his argument is those reviewer are not qualify better than some PhD designer at Bose and they said it is the best. He said that if Mercedes Benz put Bose in their car, then it must be good because Benz don't put junk in their cars.

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

While I'm not a fan of Bose, the original link is replete with misinformation, wrongly arrived at conclusions, and material that's not even relevent. And FWIW, I believe Car & Driver once made the Chevy Vega the car of the year [​IMG]

8. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

More people got laid in the back of a Chevy vega than all of the Ferraris ever produced. In that respect, yes, the Vegas kicked the ass of ferrari.

9. MikeHU

MikeHU Stunt Coordinator

True or false, Chu, it is a pretty impressive diatribe!
    (former Bose owner - eventually saw the light [​IMG] )

10. Kenneth Harden

Show him the JD Power and Accociates scores and THEN have him tell you that [​IMG]

11. Kenneth Harden

Show him the JD Power and Accociates scores and THEN have him tell you that [​IMG]

12. Kenneth Harden

Car & Driver makes fun of themselves because of that! Also, think about what else was on the table at the time...

13. Andrew*L

Andrew*L Agent

I don't prefer the Bose sound myself, but Bose threads have a tendency to have a "preach to the choir" [​IMG] quality about them. Even the CNET review that the link refers to does point out some positive qualities about the Bose system:

"Adaptiq automated system setup"

"exquisitely tiny sats"

"curvy receiver/DVD player"

"multiroom capability"

"point-anywhere, radio-frequency remote"

Although these qualities may not count for much with this crowd, there's a much larger audience, the general public, that places a higher priority on things other than sound quality, when it comes to audio equipment. To their credit, Bose marketing is superb in building the brand, and the sales numbers prove it: people are buying what Bose is selling.

Curiously, there is scant mention in this thread of any of the positives about Bose, which leads me to believe that Mr. James adage applies strongly here:

"Thinking is what a great many people think they are doing when they are simply rearranging their prejudices."

- William James

...Thanks for the quote, Chu.