What's new

The Carry On Gang! (1 Viewer)

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
I was just flipping through a DVD catalog tonight and ran across a listing for The Carry On Gang! Set 1 [containing Carry On Matron (1972), Carry On Columbus (1992) and Carry On Camping (1969)] and The Carry On Gang! Set 2 [containing Carry On Dick (1974), Carry On, Don't Lose Your Head (1966) and Carry On England (1976)]. I didn't even know these were available in Region 1. Has anyone seen these sets and comment on the quality of the transfers?

AlanBrom

Second Unit
What was the catalog Tim? I'd be very interested in getting these if they were Region 1 and legit. Thanks for the info.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
The catalog was Video Collectables. The odd thing is that they don't appear to be available anywhere else.

The site also lists a third set coming out on March 27, with Carry On Loving (1970), Carry On Spying (1964) and Carry On Behind (1975).

John Whittle

Stunt Coordinator
I bought a box set (R1) a couple of years ago which was put out by Anchor Bay which included:
Carry on Cleo/Carry on Jack
Carry on Cowboy/Carry on Screaming
Carry on Regardless/Carry on Cruising
Carry on Nurse/Carry on Sergeant
Carry on Spring/Carry on Cabby
Carry on Teacher/Carry on Constable
and a Documentary: That's Carry On which has clips ("bits") from 28 Carry On movies.

The transfers all looked good and were 16x9

The UPC number was 1313-11884-93

John

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Yes, I have the Anchor Bay set as well, and it is quite good. I'm hoping these DVDs measure up to those.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
The movies listed in those new sets, except for Spying, are owned by people other than those in the Anchor Bay set. In the UK those movies were released by Carlton in nice collections with booklets, commentary, extras and episodes of Carry On Laughing as a bonus. I believe the ones that Anchor Bay released were done so by Warner in the UK but licensed although I am not certain. Recently Carlton picked up this license and are giving that run of films the special edition treatment. There is now a Complete, except Columbus which doesn't count anyways, boxset of Carry On in the UK with all films having commentary and special features.

I have noticed some sellers at amazon having some Carry On films but have not purchased them. While some may be imports, there are several listed as Region 1 and are from Jef Films. At another website dedicated to british comedy that I can not recall's name, I read that JefFilms was making bootlegs that are being sold through amazon and buy. I do not know if this is fact but I had previously purchased What a Carve Up from Amazon, a Jef Films DVD featuring Sid James and Kenneth Conner in a dark house mystery. I liked the film but it did not look like a very good transfer and it was bare bones.

I do not trust this JefFilms and really hope that A&E will take up the Carry On license as they seem to have a relationship with Carlton and bring the complete boxset to the US. Otherwise I would recommend importing directly from the UK, which I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks