What's new

International The Carpetbaggers- coming to Blu-ray August 2020 (1 Viewer)

willyTass

Supporting Actor
she musta signed it in your bedroom
EEB93B39-6981-434E-BA01-8283C2F10E86.jpeg
. F035C6B7-CB2C-4950-963C-375BC5C2DA3F.jpeg D3C71CE9-08BB-4CDD-8AEF-A86B9C77DC82.jpeg 2FBC29C5-2FCD-4C6C-A049-50301DB70229.jpeg

Last edited:

willyTass

Supporting Actor
A commercial hit during the 1960’s for Paramount , Edward Dmytryk’s The Carpetbaggers finally has arrived on Blu ray

ill keep it short (Ha ha)

AUDIO: recently I found many of fox’s CinemaScope titles released on Blu ray had the audio mastered very low ( or it may be that they didn’t brick wall it ?)

Elmer Bernstein’s score sounds fantastic here !

its available as a 5.1 DTS - HD master audio 48khz track

as well as original stereo in 2 channel PCM

both sound excellent . The sound is not strident . Vocals are very clear. I have a very resolving audio system and the sound brought a smile to my face (confession I like this film very much )

it hasn’t been mastered low so people with low output amps will not suffer

VIDEO: I cringed as I pressed play fearing the worst - the disc menu picture quality looks very DVD

I rejoiced when the movie started ! Film grain has been preserved !

no edge enhancement.

colours are excellent, as is to be expected from technicolor which can endure the ravages of time it seems

compression: well you can see David Mackenzie wasn’t handed this one because it seems a little blocky when you pause it, but in motion it looks quite superb .The compression is similar to War of the Worlds.

if I had to guess , to me this doesn’t look like a 4 k scan of the OCN.

overall I would rate the picture quality as excellent . In some ways it reminded me of Twilight Times‘ Sayonara which was from a 35 mm Interpositive but still destroyed the DVD

strangely, by comparison, the compression on A Place in The Sun was very very impressive . Which implies to me VIAVISION is not doing their own compression but rather files are being handed to them by Paramount.

overall, The Carpetbaggers is a screaming buy for fans of the film. In many ways George Peppards most impressive role , (at least for me)
if youre an Alan Ladd or Marty Balsam fan and have never seen this , do yourself a favour.

thank you VIAVISION !

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks