What's new

The Carol Burnett Show Seasons 1-5 On MeTV (1 Viewer)

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Starting April 14 MeTV is showing episodes from the first five years of The Carol Burnett Show. From the way the show is scheduled these are not edited down to half-hour versions but are the hour long versions. Now how much has been edited to make room for more commercials I could not say. I do not have a way to view MeTV to check them out. The shows are running six times a week. Sundays at 10:30 pm and M-F at 11:00 pm. The episode guide on the MeTV website does not correspond to any known episode guide for the series. Plus there seems to be no rhyme nor reason to the order the episodes are being aired. Tonight’s episode has Gloria Loring, Tim Conway and Lucille Ball as guests. The MeTV episode guide has this listed and the 3rd episode but with an original air date as 11/20/67. The episode guide that I have listed the 11/20/67 episode as the 10th episode and the guests were not Tim Conway, Lucille Ball and Gloria Loring but Juliet Prowse and Martha Raye. The Tim Conway, Lucille...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Perry Mason is on right now, so these NEW Carol Burnett Show episodes aren't the original hour long shows after all.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Perry Mason is on right now, so these NEW Carol Burnett Show episodes aren't the original hour long shows after all.

Hmmm. That's odd. When I checked it showed Carol on from 11:00-12:00. Ok, so never mind. These are cut down to half hour shows. That's a bummer. Still, it would be worth getting the stuff that hasn't been released on DVD from those seasons. Maybe they will show the half-hour versions of season 11 that haven't been syndicated in years as well. That way we could finally get the last 2 or 3 Family sketches that are not in circulation at the moment.

sjbradford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
sjbradford
These are very interesting from an historical aspect. Carol is so much less sure of herself and seems girlish during her monologues. Contrast that with her commanding, reassuring presence in the monologues of the later years.

VIcki is used very sparingly in the episodes so far. Apparently, they weren’t sure of her talents at that point.

Even though these episodes are edited down, we get to see the original openings, full monologues (I believe), and closings. For the Carol Burnett & Friends package, the intros and closings were standardized, and the monologues often edited down or out completely. But showing the original closing credits can also be jarring; last night they showed Carol is some elaborate old-fashioned costume singing her closing theme song, but we didn’t get to see the obviously elaborate production number that preceded it.

Carol previously syndicated the reruns through her own production company, but has now turned the show over the CBS Television Distribution. This is a smart way to ensure the show will be seen for years to come.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
These are very interesting from an historical aspect. Carol is so much less sure of herself and seems girlish during her monologues. Contrast that with her commanding, reassuring presence in the monologues of the later years.

VIcki is used very sparingly in the episodes so far. Apparently, they weren’t sure of her talents at that point.

Even though these episodes are edited down, we get to see the original openings, full monologues (I believe), and closings. For the Carol Burnett & Friends package, the intros and closings were standardized, and the monologues often edited down or out completely. But showing the original closing credits can also be jarring; last night they showed Carol is some elaborate old-fashioned costume singing her closing theme song, but we didn’t get to see the obviously elaborate production number that preceded it.

Carol previously syndicated the reruns through her own production company, but has now turned the show over the CBS Television Distribution. This is a smart way to ensure the show will be seen for years to come.

Carol was nervous as was Vicki in the beginning, being the first woman to have her own variety series is a lot of pressure. Also Vicki was originally only used for Carol & Sis sketches since they looked like twins when the series started.

Good to know that these half hour CBS episodes included the complete Bump Up Lights opening. We'd all love to see the Broadway musical numbers, but that would cost way too much to clear those songs these days. Also Carol and the gang along with their guests sang solo or duet together and those again would cost a lot to clear.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian

This might be because Carol no longer owns the episodes from seasons 1-5. I know she still retains rights to seasons 6-11.

sjbradford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
sjbradford
When originally produced, Carol was part owner of seasons 1-5, along with Bob Banner, and full owner of the remaining seasons. I suspect that CBS made a deal with both to distribute seasons 1-5. I don’t think she gave up ownership.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
So, are they airing episodes that aren't in the DVD collection(s)? I'd have figured it would just be the same episodes as the DVDs, given all the music clearances, etc.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
It's funny how so many false ideas never die.

Carol Burnett was not the first woman to have a variety show. In the mid-1950s, Martha Raye (also known as a "rubber faced comedienne") had her own show. Dinah Shore had one for years, although geared more to music than comedy. Judy Garland came before Carol Burnett, too.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I don't have the "Lost Episodes" DVDs, so is that an episode that wasn't on the DVDs?

I have one of the Lost Episodes collections and of the 18 included, this wasn't on it.

These are the episodes on my set.

Disc 1
----------
Nov. 4 1968 - Lucille Ball, Eddie Albert, and Nancy Wilson
Feb. 22 1971 - Chita Rivera and Bob Newhart
Nov. 11 1968 - Don Rickles, Mel Torme, and Nanette Fabray

Disc 2
---------
Sep. 11 1967 - Jim Nabors (The very first episode)
Nov. 3 1971 - Bing Crosby and Paul Lynde
Mar. 1 1972 Tim Conway and Eydie Gorme

Disc 3
---------
Feb. 23 1972 - Nanette Fabray and Burt Reynolds
Nov. 27 1967 - Lesley Ann Warren and Don Adams

Disc 4
---------
Oct. 2 1967 - Lucille Ball, Tim Conway, and Gloria King
Jan. 6 1969 - Tim Conway

Disc 5
---------
Oct. 16 1967 -Bobbie Gentry, Phyllis Diller, and Gwen Verdon
Nov. 17 1969 - Andy Griffith
Nov. 10 1971 - Bernadette Peters, and Mama Cass Elliot

Disc 6
---------
Jan. 19 1970 - Flip Wilson and Vikki Carr
Oct. 6 1971 - Carol Channing and Steve Lawrence
Mar. 18 1968 - Tim Conway, Jack Jones, and Ruth Buzzi

Disc 7
---------
Jan. 26 1972 - Tim Conway and Ray Charles
Nov. 24 1969 - Lucille Ball and George Carlin

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I don't have the "Lost Episodes" DVDs, so is that an episode that wasn't on the DVDs?
There is a season 5 episode with her on the "Classic Carol" Lost Episodes DVD.
vlcsnap-2019-04-17-22h49m20s254.png

Pmprod7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
PM
I can't get over how new looking the tape prints look for a 52 year old series. They really took good care of these shows in their vaults.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I can't get over how new looking the tape prints look for a 52 year old series. They really took good care of these shows in their vaults.

Tape back then must of been really good to still be around today, how did they remaster these episodes; is tape easier or harder to restore than film?

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Does that episode have herself and Carol playing trick or treater's at the end of the show?
No, they end this show with a dance sketch about Tim and Carol being afraid to ask someone to dance. Harvey and Diane try to give them confidence.
vlcsnap-2019-04-17-23h26m35s010.png

Pmprod7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
PM
Tape back then must of been really good to still be around today, how did they remaster these episodes; is tape easier or harder to restore than film?
I know they can go to the original prints of a filmed television show to make new copies but I don't think they can do the same with video masters (but maybe clean them up). They kept these video prints in really good shape from the start for all these years they weren't airing them.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I know they can go to the original prints of a filmed television show to make new copies but I don't think they can do the same with video masters (but maybe clean them up). They kept these video prints in really good shape from the start for all these years they weren't airing them.

From what I've seen these last couple of nights of CBS, all of the colors pop out nicely with only a few moments here and there of some wear and tear and when anything present on screen with the color white looks a bit fuzzy/shaky.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks