What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Blake Edwards’ The Carey Treatment is a slick, glossy murder investigation narrative with lots of familiar faces in the cast but lacking in the feeling and depth that Edwards had brought to previous thrillers of his, particularly Experiment in Terror.

The Carey Treatment (1972)

Released: 02 Jul 1972
Rated: PG
Runtime: 101 min

Director: Blake Edwards
Genre: Crime, Mystery, Thriller

Cast: James Coburn, Jennifer O'Neill, Pat Hingle
Writer(s): Michael Crichton, John D.F. Black, Harriet Frank Jr.

Plot: At a Boston hospital, Dr. Carey becomes an amateur sleuth to help clear a colleague who's accused of botching an illegal abortion that kills a 15 year old girl.

IMDB rating: 6.1
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information

Studio: MGM...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Thanks for the great review, Matt! Even though I consider this one of Edwards’ lesser efforts, I will definitely pick up this one.

Nepotism was in play with casting of several of the minor parts, but I always enjoy seeing Jennifer Edwards pop up in her father’s films as she is very good in some of those roles.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thanks for the great review, Matt! Even though I consider this one of Edwards’ lesser efforts, I will definitely pick up this one.

Nepotism was in play with casting of several of the minor parts, but I always enjoy seeing Jennifer Edwards pop up in her father’s films as she is very good in some of those roles.
Yes, as the years went on, his films became more and more family affairs.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
That's Life! (1986) was certainly a family affair. I'd love that Blake Edwards film on Blu-ray. I'm not sure who owns it.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
The film was another victim of James "Hacksaw" Aubrey, who seemed to delight in hiring top directors and then wrecking their films. It was another giant step in toppling MGM from its decades-long pedestal. During my tenure there I was able to return THE BOY FRIEND and WILD ROVERS to their original form because the international negatives were untouched, and got the ball rolling on the first re-edit of PAT GARRETT. Unfortunately, all the cuts to CAREY were done on the OCN and it was all tossed. I told Jennifer about this; she thanked me for trying and informed me that an entire subplot about abortion was the chief victim, along with most of the role of that actress (Melissa Torme, whom she said was terrific).

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
I have always enjoyed The Carey Treatment as I am a big fan of James Coburn.
Mike’s comments above offer great insight into why it could have been a better film.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The film was another victim of James "Hacksaw" Aubrey, who seemed to delight in hiring top directors and then wrecking their films. It was another giant step in toppling MGM from its decades-long pedestal. During my tenure there I was able to return THE BOY FRIEND and WILD ROVERS to their original form because the international negatives were untouched, and got the ball rolling on the first re-edit of PAT GARRETT. Unfortunately, all the cuts to CAREY were done on the OCN and it was all tossed. I told Jennifer about this; she thanked me for trying and informed me that an entire subplot about abortion was the chief victim, along with most of the role of that actress (Melissa Torme, whom she said was terrific).
Thank you, Mike, for sharing your knowledge and expertise about the film. Watching what we have now, one just KNEW that something better, something richer was sacrificed.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Let's not forget it was James Aubrey who, prior to his control of MGM, had been the chief at CBS and saw to it that Judy Garland's wonderful variety show got the worst time slot, a second-rate writing staff, and NO support from CBS headquarters to help keep it on the air.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Anyone know if Jennifer O'Neill's hair had actually started to go gray when they shot the film or if they colored it?

She was only 24, so pretty young to show gray hair, but not out of the realm of possibility - I started to go gray by 26 or 27.

However, I wondered if they gave her some wispy gray hair to make her seem closer in age to Coburn, who was 44 and looked 87! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks