What's new

The Car re-release 5/6/08 (1 Viewer)

Van594

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
I didn't see this mentioned yet, sorry if it has. Universal is re-releasing The Car on May 5th. According to Amazon it's supposed to be remastered.

I sold my original Anchor Bay for around $50 a couple years back. I might pick it up again.

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor

Remember though, the 1999 Anchor Bay disc has both, 2.35:1 (16x9) and 1.33:1 pan and scan on the same side of the disc. If this new release from Universal drops the pan and scan transfer, it should be an improvement in picture quality. The widescreen transfer on Anchor Bay's disc looks really, really good except for the last 10 minutes or so when it's not quite as sharp.

Gotta say, the cover art on Anchor Bay's release is a lot better. I'll be keeping my Anchor Bay disc and I'll probably be getting this new one too.

1999 Anchor Bay

2008 Universal

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i just sold mine for $40 ish

the cover is really bad.

"The Car
What Evil Drives..."

ugh

Shawn DuHast

Stunt Coordinator
Doesn't the AB have 5.1?
Is it any good?
as the Universal only has surround (I have the R2 2005 Universal release).

Are you sure the top cover is the AB one?
It's exactly the same as my R2 Universal, print typeface, everything except the word evil is in Red (and it has the awful BBFC 12 logo spoiling the artwork bottom left)

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor
I remember as a kid just the movie poster scaring the h*ll out of me. I'd love to see a remastered version of this classic.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

I second the request for a Blu Ray of this. DVD Pacific has shipped my copy of this and I should have it by the weekend.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I received THE CAR in the mail yesterday and poped it in to watch a few minutes. It is a very good digitally remastered transfer; I really cannot remember the Anchor Bay version, but the new Universal version looks the best it ever has. The only extra is the Theatrical Trailer.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
DVDbeaver posted a review of the new DVD of THE CAR and according to the review this new release is really good looking in the presentation department. I agree with the posts that the UNIVERSAL DVD cover is really really bad, I do like the Anchor Bay cover art more so... but at least they are re-releasing it.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Good deal! I've never seen this but I'm a fan of stuff like The Duel and Joyride. This sounds like a hoot and the images from Beaver look excellent. Joblo's review (click) for this is pretty good too. I'm all over it!

Thanks for posting about this. It even has Kim Richards. This will be a trip to watch. I can't wait!!

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I'm all over this one, I love this movie. It was on the Chiller channel a couple of weeks ago and stopped cleaning just to watch the movie.

Shawn DuHast

Stunt Coordinator
It's not available anywhere including BT's - I know as it took me ages to get a resonable copy of it i.e. better than the 6th generation vhs copies on DVD on eBay.....

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I just noticed both the Richards girls are in this. I would've loved that as a kid. Now it will just be a huge jolt of nostalgia in a completely unfamiliar film. That's priceless folks!

The clip on badmovies.org looks great! Rodeo crowd = beach crowd/car = shark. Neat! Much better than the stupid Giant Spider Invasion.

JackKay

Second Unit
LOL, at DVDBeaver you can see it's release date: Theatrical Release: May 13th, 1977. Good thing that it got a head start at the Box Office, Star Wars opened 12 days later.

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit
I was a kid at the time, but I remember seeing James Brolin's appearance on Merv Griffin's daytime talk show to promote this film. James Coburn was on the same program promoting CROSS OF IRON. Those were the days.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks