What's new

The Cannon Films / Golan-Globus on Blu-ray! thread (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
BOLERO, at least the version I've seen, is barely an hour and forty-five minutes long...though I can certainly see how it could feel like three hours :) As someone who has seen GHOSTS CAN'T DO IT, I'd say that your assessment of it is eerily accurate...though it at least offers an additional layer of curiosity these days with its appearance by Donald Trump.
I actually bought BOLERO when it was first released, on a 2-disc CED set (remember those?) on the Vestron label, if I recall correctly, and it was almost 3 hours long. I sold it off immediately.

Last edited:

rdimucci

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
I actually bought BOLERO when it was first released, on a 2-disc CED set (remember those?) on the Vestron label, if I recall correctly, and it was almost 3 hours long. I sold it off immediately.

Well, that explains it. The BOLERO you had was not the 1984 Bo Derek film, which has always run 105 minutes, but the 1981 Claude Lelouch-directed musical drama of the same name starring Robert Hossein, Geraldine Chaplin, and James Caan. That film runs 173 minutes in its U.S. release (and 184 minutes elsewhere). The latter is the only one of the two that was issued on CED. The Bo Derek film was issued only on regular laserdisc.

s-l300.jpg

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Well, that explains it. The BOLERO you had was not the 1984 Bo Derek film, which has always run 105 minutes, but the 1981 Claude Lelouch-directed musical drama of the same name starring Robert Hossein, Geraldine Chaplin, and James Caan. That film runs 173 minutes in its U.S. release (and 184 minutes elsewhere). The latter is the only one of the two that was issued on CED. The Bo Derek film was issued only on regular laserdisc.

s-l300.jpg
Holy Moly! Thanks for the correction. I had actually seen both BOLERO's, then, because Derek's version simply turned me completely off, and the one you generous display here bored me to tears, so I didn't keep it long. It was probably one of the CED's I bought because it had CX-encoded stereo (designated by the blue casing).

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
All four of the American Ninja movies are being released on Blu-ray by Olive Films in August. Four more to add to the list!

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
The only problem with the UK set? Amazon doesn't deliver it to the US, or I would have snapped this up AGES ago.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
It did deliver it here; I have it. But quantities must be low one year later. (Not sure that's "ages ago," but best to strike quickly with these things.) Marketplace sellers, or outfits like Diabolic or Daaveedee, may be able to supply it. It's a big bargain over paying Olive prices.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm, it looks like Diabolic has a box of all four, but not the same version as the one they show at amazon.

This
4d99eeee41d8b71c731896a1fc31eb2a.jpg

vs this:

81juMiQkSNL._SL1500_.jpg

Although they're both by 88 Films, so they're probably the same discs, just in different packaging. I'll have to do some more research after work today. But it'll be a good excuse to buy from Diabolic since I wanted to pick up Trailer Trauma 2 from them anyway.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Well, upon further research it seems that the content is the same, just that the box contains individual discs and the cheaper American Flag one is just one case with 4 discs in it. Yea, the bottom one is probably cheaper, but 40 bucks doesn't break the bank either. I'm okay with the upper one.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Twilight Time is releasing RUNAWAY TRAIN and MURPHY'S LAW this fall.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
SWEET! I was just thinking about Runaway Train just the other day, wishing that I had a copy other than a VHS somewhere in the basement! Dont know if I've ever seen Murphy's Law before, but I might have to grab it anyway.

EDIT - okay, that does look like a fun flick:

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Okay, my Big Red Box of Ninja just showed up from Diabolik DVD today. I was a little freaked out when I opened it and saw that hexagonal B logo on the back of the cases - oh great, I just wasted 40 bucks. But no, the discs played just fine! I briefly checked all four and they all spun up, and I just finished watching the first one.

Everything is A-okay!

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Okay, so I'm watching my American Ninja discs and I take a break because my new, Australian Blu-ray of Night of the Living Dead '90 showed up today. I quickly spin it up to make sure it indeed works - and who's the first name that should pop up? Menahem Golan.

And I just fell back in my chair laughing. I cant escape the dude! (:

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Damn you, Twilight Time, for exploiting my love for Charles Bronson! I'll have to pick up Murphy's Law as soon as I'm back from my trip!

141907_large.jpg

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Blech. What a terrible cover. For 30 bucks, you would think that TT would be able to print a two sided cover with the original art. Ah well.

56290_large.jpg

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Blech. What a terrible cover. For 30 bucks, you would think that TT would be able to print a two sided cover with the original art. Ah well.

56290_large.jpg

For me it's the film and not the packaging. Really, this will not be out in stores trying to catch the consumers eye.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Well look what I found:

101FILMSBOX16BR_Lou_Ferrigno_Collection_2D_d54acd3d-18a2-4927-b3db-99a24520850f_1024x1024.jpg

Yes, apparently 101 Films has released those awesome, awesome (and oh so terrible) Hercules movies! Yes, this is the one where Ferrigno throws a "bear" into outer space. 12 pounds, so roughly 15 bucks depending on how the dollar is doing. Also, it looks to be both Region A and B, according to Amazon!

Consider it sold!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks