What's new

the Cambridge SoundWorks Model Six returns (1 Viewer)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
This 2-way acoustic-suspension model with an 8" woofer was sold starting in the late 80s to 2005 then it disappeared. Now it's back and just $150 a pair, originally going for around $250 per pair.

Model Six

Nope, they ain't exactly sexy - handsome and honest would be better adjectives :) - but their designer was more interested in function than form.

Henry Kloss designed these himself, the same guy who designed the original & extremely popular Model 6 sold by KLH in the 1960s (he's the "K" in that acronym); he also helped design the original Acoustic Research speaker that revolutionised the speaker industry and who designed the Large Advent one of the most popular speakers ever sold. FYI: he used the money from the Advent corporation to help another of his companies design one of the first video front projectors for home use.

Anyway, I think of these as expensive Chevrolets i.e. tried & true technology that performs well for not not much $$$ so these aren't going to scare anyone with B&Ws or other similar speakers, but no need to feel embarrassed about them either. When I last heard them the only thing I thought they lacked was low bass, say below 50Hz. So in a small bedroom or dorm room they should sound full but otherwise, you'll need a subwoofer with them to fill out the rest of the low end.

But one advantage to these when used with a sub is that with that "big" woofer (I grew up with 10 and 12 inch woofers being the norm, so.....) they can easily reach way below 80Hz so when used with a sub, the bass in that region around 80Hz and above will be properly reproduced & you won't have to put up with the wimpy/thin sound so many sat/sub systems exhibit that use sats with 4 or 5 inch woofers that are barely able to squeak out frequencies under 100Hz and so are rapidly running out of steam at 80Hz.

As far as the Model 6's use of a cone tweeter (useful in a 2-way because they can be crossed over lower than most domes), not a big deal since the only really audible difference vs. a dome tweeter is that the cone's dispersion angle will be narrower. Paper is still a good material for tweeter (and woofer) use because of its lightness, stiffness and inherent self-damping qualities, though admittedly a 1.75" cone is heavier than a 1" dome and that extra mass will reduce its ability to move as fast reducing reproduction of very fine details. But to many people the resulting warmth that effect provides is a pleasant compromise. The last speaker I owned with a cone tweeter was a Baby Advent and it actually was slightly on the bright side but even that brightness was easy to take for hours because of the paper's damping effect.

The only negative about these speakers is probably their styling, which is a bit on the homely side though the black finish helps to add some class to their looks.

Here's a very thorough review of them done by the SMR Home Theater site.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
bumping for people needing ideas for putting together cheap-but-good sound system.....and they're on sale too. :)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

I would hope not. The enclosure was already feeling kind of less than impressive. I owned a pair for a while. I found them to be even handed, but a bit TOO even handed to the point that they were unexciting. They didn't do anything wrong, but they didn't really catch my attention either, as I was expecting from the reviews. The depth wasn't impressive though they had a wide sound stage, and bass was pretty typical for the price range, meaning good not great; a sub would be highly recommended. I do think I paid $200 or so for them (ended up returning them), but at $129 I probably wouldn't complain too much about their performance. They are a bit dated looking, still having that 70s vibe to them.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I'm not surprised Henry Kloss styled these newer ones like this: here's two pics of the original Model Six when KLH (K = Kloss) sold them back in the sixties.........

Model Six as part of a system, scroll down to the pic of a nice, simple and elegant 2.0 rig. Though these actually look pretty decent with their cream-colored grill cloth and walnut veneer, both standard IIRC.

grill-less Model Six, scroll to bottom. Like most of his designs, to save money & in turn help put good sound within the reach of more people, he usually did nothing as far as looks went, so underneath the grills things can get purty damn ugly!! :D

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Bumping for the survival of good sound.

BTW if someone ever wanted to know what the so-called East Coast sound was all about, here ya go! Laid back and smooth in other words.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks