What's new

The Caller (1987)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Title: The Caller (1987)

Tagline: A strange visitor. A mysterious woman. A surprise ending...

Genre: Mystery, Science Fiction, Horror, Thriller

Director: Arthur Allan Seidelman

Cast: Malcolm McDowell, Madolyn Smith Osborne

Release: 1987-05-01

Runtime: 97

Plot: One night, an unusual stranger in need (Malcolm McDowell) asks a woman living alone in a house in the woods if he can use her phone. It soon becomes clear that they're playing a strange mind game and that there's something very wrong about the woods.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Just in time for Halloween Vinegar Syndrome has released this little known picture on Blu-ray and what a treat this is...

caller box art.jpg

This is a fun twisty little story that is wonderfully acted by Malcolm McDowell and Madolyn Smith that sort of plays as if Harold Pinter wrote a horror film. If you like being dropped into a tale where the dialogue is sharp and biting and seems like there is some dark undercurrent running wild under everything that is said...well, you will likely enjoy this. I won't say anything about plot because this is one you'll have to see to believe and I don't want to spoil anything. Suffice to say though that it does feel a bit like a stage play with the two actors dueling through dialogue in essentially a single setting. This is one of those stories that as it starts and plays out will leave you feeling like you are constantly trying to catch up and figure out what is going on. I guess it did not really get a theatrical release and so this blu from Vinegar Syndrome is the way to see it. It's a fantastic disc, with some nice extras, and beautiful image and sound. I've not indulged in many Vinegar Syndrome releases but this must be one of their most interesting offerings so far.

I had a blast watching this and fans of something like Sleuth from 1972 will probably get a kick out of this as well. Due to the twisty nature of the film I don't want to say anything other than it features McDowell visiting Ms. Smith at her isolated cabin in the woods at which point the games begin.

Special Features:
Region A Blu-ray
Newly scanned & restored in 2k from its 35mm interpositive
“Boiling Over” – an interview with director Arthur Allan Seidelman
An audio interview with writer Michael Sloan
Promotional still gallery
Reversible cover artwork

SDH English subtitles

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I should say despite the bloody phone imagery the term "caller" in this case refers to McDowell being a visitor that comes in person to call on Ms. Smith's character. So, this is not a story about someone being harassed on the telephone.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks