What's new

THE CALIFORNIANS: 1957-1959 Pre-Order CBS MOD DVD & BD-R at Amazon (1 Viewer)

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
THE CALIFORNIANS, which is still running on GRIT TV, is up for pre-order at Amazon. This is being offered in Season 1 and Season 2 sets, in both DVD-R and BD-R.

Surprising that such a obscure show would get a BD-R release.

The Californians is a western set in San Francisco, in the 1850's. At first it was about vigilantes played by Sean McClory and Adam Kennedy and later those two characters were eased out and replaced by a gambler Marshal played by Richard Coogan. Also in the cast, were Nan Leslie, Carole Mathews, and original JEOPARDY host Art Fleming. There were 69 episodes.

As with other CBS Mod releases from Amazon Create Space when this actually will be released is anybody's guess.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
I'm a big Western fan, but this is probably one I will pass by. I am glad for fans of this series, and especially gratified to see movement in CBS's MOD program. I hope they will keep things like The Californians coming, until they run out of things.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Thanks Bob for this notice...it's good to see that CBS MOD will release a relatively obscure show on Blu-ray also if the source elements allow for it...perhaps they transfer from the OCN's? Does The Californians look near perfect on GRIT TV? I wonder if Trackdown would receive similar treatment, is that supposed to be coming from CBS MOD or from Shout Factory? I would hope also that something akin to a visitation with God will compel CBS into transferring the rest of The Defenders so Shout can release the rest of the run...and ten sticks of dynamite to blow Ben Casey out of their vault...

I too already have a Motherlode of Western series in my collection...but I think I have room and an appetite for this one anyway...especially on Blu, whenever it actually becomes available...which is probably a year from now...

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
THE CALIFORNIANS, which is still running on GRIT TV, is up for pre-order at Amazon. This is being offered in Season 1 and Season 2 sets, in both DVD-R and BD-R.

Surprising that such a obscure show would get a BD-R release.

The Californians is a western set in San Francisco, in the 1850's. At first it was about vigilantes played by Sean McClory and Adam Kennedy and later those two characters were eased out and replaced by a gambler Marshal played by Richard Coogan. Also in the cast, were Nan Leslie, Carole Mathews, and original JEOPARDY host Art Fleming. There were 69 episodes.

As with other CBS Mod releases from Amazon Create Space when this actually will be released is anybody's guess.
Here's hoping more CBS owned shows are released

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I pre-ordered both seasons on Blu-ray at $42.99 each, with no release date although I'm wondering if regular DVDs might not suffice . I think the price will come down. I'm hoping CBS gets respectable sales and will release other shows they hold the rights to like The People's Choice . To be honest the release of this show came out of left field , but is very welcome.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
This gets a Blu Ray treatment but more well known series can't even get released on DVD it makes absolutely no sense, not to mention things like Hawaii Five ) the reboot and Blue Bloods getting only the DVD Treatment something is really messed up over there

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
This gets a Blu Ray treatment but more well known series can't even get released on DVD it makes absolutely no sense, not to mention things like Hawaii Five ) the reboot and Blue Bloods getting only the DVD Treatment something is really messed up over there
We should be getting both : the occasional obscure show like Californians . It's About Time , How To Marry A Millionaire, and , established popular shows as well. Although I agree that with a show like Californians , most of us would be okay with DVDs . Having said that , I ordered the BD!

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Does anyone have a list of "old" shows that Sony could potentially release?

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
With this Season 2 release of THE CALIFORNIANS and MOST WANTED all the announced CBS Home Entertainment MOD exclusives with Amazon have finally been released, (with the exception of the combined S1 & S2 release of HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE, with S1 and S2 being available separately for awhile now).

The Amazon exclusive releases so far were THE YOUNG LAWYERS, BEST OF THE WEST, HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE, THE CALIFORNIANS, and MOST WANTED. Did I miss any? I have not found any new announcements.

Previous releases, (mostly TV movies and reality shows), from CBS HE Mod were manufactured by Allied Vaughn and available from all the other online retailers.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
An average western by any stretch of the imagination. I'm happy with my recordings from GRIT as they all ran complete.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
I'd agree with that average western assessment. I did not record it. GRIT is resting the CALIFORNIANS now. I was going to sales resist it, but when I saw the amazon listing for S2, I saw a used S1 for sale and wound up ordering both seasons, along with MOST WANTED.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks